Chevelle
Hats Off to the Bull

by Bwgrotha1s USER (24 Reviews)
November 11th, 2013 | 14 replies | 761 views

Review Summary: The new tricks this old dog learned in 2009 haven't been forgotten..

2009's "Sci-Fi Crimes" couldn't have come to accomplish the feats that it did at a better time in the world of music. 2009 and 2010 were among the final years of the dissipating nu-metal landscape, where many bands changed up what genre they were, or fell off of the map completely. Dub-Step and House had officially swallowed the scene by 2011, and what better band than Chevelle to head the continuation of solid hard-rock, free of heavy electronics and sampling? On their sixth studio release, "Hats Off To The Bull" they remain true to what caused their success on "Sci-Fi Crimes" but it's almost easier for them now, with much of the competition dying out or becoming irrelevant.

Things are considerably softer this time around, and that is perfectly fine since Chevelle would often tread into that territory on just about every album they have recorded. And while things are softer, they aren't THAT much softer, there's just nothing as hard-hitting as "This New Momentum" or "The Fad." Songs only get as heavy as "Face to The Floor" and the title track, which effectively deliver the needed dose of Chevelle's low-note intensity. The rest of the album however, rolls a little more slowly with emphasis on layered guitars and Loeffler's best vocal work. "Same Old Trip" offers up a relatively strong main riff and inspired chorus-singing. "Ruse" flows on a loose rhythm and an even looser guitar melody, all tied together with a bouncy center-stage bass-line. "The Meddler" is among the best cuts from the album, sporting an irresistibly curious main riff and a passionate chorus tagged to beautiful Loeffler-singing and layers on layers of loud arena guitars.

"Envy" an initially soft song, grows with a listener's patience into a mammoth of beauty and stellar guitar work, a worthy pay-off. "Arise" specializes in fueling one with positive energy thanks to its uplifting melodies, and "Prima Donna" the quiet acoustic cut, proves graceful in its easily relative Loeffler lyrics.

There's really nothing on here that comes out average except for "Pinata" and "Revenge," two tracks that feel out of place based on their redundancy and tiresome song structures. But other than that, there is much to look forward to on this 2011 outing that assures fans Chevelle now knows how to continue crafting successful records while their former opponents are fading into the shadows that are covering this genre of music

311 311311 Transistor
Chevelle La GargolaChevelle Vena Sera
Chevelle This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In)Chevelle Wonder What's Next

Puckoff
November 11th 2013

While many people think this band is a one trick pony, I believe the best is yet to come.

November 11th 2013

many people think this band is a one trick pony

who said that ill fuck somebody up

November 11th 2013

i didn't know people held sci fi crimes with such high regard

Digging: Coroner - No More Color

Bwgrotha1s
November 11th 2013

Sci-Fi Crimes is my favorite album. Wonder What's Next was phenomenal, but really was more appealing at a younger age, and I feel like it has that effect with most people, it's just less-mature music. Sci-Fi Crimes I feel is their most passionate release, and just has a mature approach, that carries through Hats Off To The Bull, and it really shines in times like these when everything else is starting to suck.

November 11th 2013

sci-fi is probably the best record they made if everyone ignored their nostalgic values for previous albums

November 11th 2013

its usually the album i throw on when i wanna chevelle but i still give the edge to vena sera

November 11th 2013

even if it's chevelle at their more energetic, VS's production is kinda bad so that alone I wouldn't prefer it

this type of thinking >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

don't be fucking dumb guys. its not even about nostalgia at this point

November 11th 2013

you're just fooling yourself mac

nope i am the truth

Ecnalzen
November 11th 2013

Thinking and Sci Fi are good, but I prefer Wonder and Vena.

loneNLwolf

^ What he said.

Hats Off is my least favorite Chevelle record.

November 15th 2013

relinq how can you hate the vintage sound chevelle went for on VS? its the only album that doesnt sound like any of their others, minus point #1, but still

PistolPete
January 31st 2014

Can't believe this review eluded me. I must've been on one of my "oh I'm gonna prove how cool I am and
NOT go on sputnik"-moods when this user put it up.

Your opinion almost exactly matches mine and you articulated it far better. Well done have a 3-month
late POS.

Digging: Jolly - The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 2)