Obliteration
Black Death Horizon

by James Lentil USER (7 Reviews)
November 11th, 2013 | 51 replies | 1,735 views

Release Date: 11/08/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A hard slab of exquisite modern-old school death metal.

Obliteration are fairly new to the modern death metal scene and they play a style of old school death metal. Notably, their sound favors a crusty and malevolent atmosphere. The production is solid and the instruments are well integrated. The cymbals and clashes aren’t too trebly. Envision production styles similar to that of Morbid, early Convulse, and Hooded Menace. Most tracks present favor a mid-tempo pace as an average but that’s not to say that some tracks take on a doom approach such as the opener “The Distant Sun” and faster thrash-death tracks like “Goat Skull Crown” taken from their single and “Sepulchral Rites”.

What makes Black Death Horizon so enjoyable is how involved and energetic the drums are. They really add a certain flare that’s impossible to not notice. The title track jumps through many modes and styles such as thrash, rock, death metal, and black metal and yet everything is cohesive and feels meant to be. The vocalist is another amazing highlight with a mid-high register vocal style with a slight feel of punk-hardcore vibe to himself. The vocals create a pressing atmosphere and are versatile in different speeds and momentums.

What you will notice the most about Black Death Horizon is the feel and the atmosphere. The riffs take their time and yet aren’t afraid to fully engage the listener with aggressiveness. The closer “Churning Magma” is a good example of this. It starts with a repeated guitar lick which is overtaken by pounding tribal drum riffs and eventual doom-breakdown. This release is one of the best releases of 2013.

Suicidal Angels Divide And ConquerGorguts And Then Comes Lividity
Vastum Patricidal LustInquisition Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
Pestilence ObsideoAyreon The Theory of Everything
Kyle Ward STAFF (4.8)
The triumphant return of the black death...

BlissfulIrony (4)
Nostalgic yet slightly progressive, ‘Black Death Horizon’ has carved its own niche on the modern...

Nekropsalms

November 11th 2013

fuck yeah dude AOTY by a landslide

November 11th 2013

yeah this is a great album

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

metal lives

November 11th 2013

i like this better than the debut

November 11th 2013

same but nekro is still king for me, only heard this twice so far though so once i buy it and spin it nonstop this may very well prove to be the best

on my 8th listen, been jamming non-stop since I got it in the mail

Jacquibim
November 11th 2013

Short and sweet review, nice.

I thought I noticed some hardcore punk vibes in this too.

Digging: Howls of Ebb - Vigils of the 3rd Eye

Thank you.

Wizard
November 11th 2013

"Transient Passage" is the best metal track of the year. When the song picks up steam after the Autopsyish trudgy beginning, that weird atonal melody is insanely mesmerizing.

I know this is your first review so I will let this slide. It just feels like you hurried the review to get default on the site. Please don't do this anymore. This album is a tip of the hat to Autopsy's classics, pure and simple.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

November 11th 2013

I'll be honest I could have spent more time on it.

I need to work on expressing myself better.

Wizard
November 11th 2013

The level of expressing yourself with reviews depends on the amount of time you put into listening to whatever album. Never fell rushed or anxious to get the first review in. I usually theme out what I'm going to say and let it flow from there. Check out reviews by Crysis/ Willie/ Rasputin/ Jacquibim etc. for some really good metal reviews if you need a boost. Quality over speed/ quantity! If you stick by that advice, you will find reviewing just comes naturally over time. Welcome to the site!

I also threw you a pos' for tackling this album as your first.

November 11th 2013

Thank you. I've listened to this album about 14 times before I decided to write something about it. I'll heed your advice.

TheSpirit

WHOOOOOOOOOOOPS

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

demigod!

need to hear this

Crysis
November 11th 2013

won't read till hyperion shows us his wisdom

Digging: Tiamat - Wildhoney

AdolfChrist
November 11th 2013

cant wait to hear this. the vocals are awesome.

November 11th 2013

Yes, the vocals and drums are my favorite elements here. Not saying the guitars aren't spectacular either, though.

AdolfChrist
November 11th 2013

he sounds like a more morbid/tortured/insane and less whiney/melodramatic version of the vocalist from The Saddest Landscape.

tempest--

gotta check hard

November 11th 2013

I've never heard of that band, Adolf.