Thomas Newman
Wall-E

by RoundOnEndHiInMiddle USER (14 Reviews)
November 8th, 2013 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Step into 2815, it just might surprise you.

When it comes to making animated movies, the combination of Pixar Animation Studios and the Disney Corporation is the cream of the crop. We've all seen at least one movie this animation combination has put out, and there are no shortage of stellar reviews for them. But what separates these movies from other animated movies? Simply put, the orchestral scores for them are top-notch, and Thomas Newman's compositions for the 2008 film "Wall-E" is the prime example.

As we know, the point of a movie score is to set the appropriate mood during the scenes of the film. This is accomplished with entertaining and impressive skill by Thomas Newman, cousin of famous songwriter Randy Newman. Whether the scene is happy, depressing, urgent, or ominous, Thomas Newman hits the nail on the head in every situation.

Take for example the ominous and foreboding "2815 A.D." During the scene, the remnants of a trash-covered Earth are explored by Wall-E. The music sets the tone for how uncertain this world is, and how potentially dangerous this world could be. Another song on the soundtrack, named "72 Degrees and Sunny", captures the awe and the interest WALL_E feels when he first sees the city-like interior of the Axiom. There is a fantastic electronic influence on this track.

Later, when he is thrust from the Axiom out into nearby space, the track "Define Dancing" expresses the wonder and splendor of space, and the happiness and love he feels when he shares this moment with his love interest, EVE. The use of xylophone and picked strings really drive this track home. When Wall-E is badly damaged, the somber and tear-jerking "Fixing Wall-E" is played, again making use of the xylophone. This time, however, the xylophone plays some extremely heart-breaking music, once again setting the scene correctly.

There are many more tracks other than these, and while the majority are at the most a minute long, not once does the music feel out of place. In addition to the orchestral score, there are a few contemporary songs as well. Louis Armstrong's "La Vie En Rose" makes a wonderful appearance, and music from the 1969 film "Hello Dolly" is used as well. Peter Gabriel makes an appearance with the great tune known as "Down To Earth", an electronic rock song written specifically for the film.

As a whole, the film "Wall-E" is great, but it would not be truly great if it didn't have this wonderful score. Thomas Newman put together a genuinely magically score here, and it is one that should not be overlooked.

Del tha Funkee Homosapien I Wish My Brother George Was HereLantlos Melting Sun
DjRum MountainsCode Orange Cycles
I Killed The Prom Queen BelovedBob Marley and The Wailers Soul Revolution
4.4

Pheromone
November 8th 2013

Really enjoyed this review but I don't think I'll check this out.
Have a pos though

Digging: Parson Sound - Parson Sound

RoundOnEndHiInMiddle

Thanks!

Digging: Neil Young - On the Beach

November 8th 2013

Pos'd, haven't listened to this, but the movie sucked.

Digging: The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground

November 8th 2013

are you fucking me stallion

are you fucking me right now

Digging: Fugazi - Repeater

November 8th 2013

I see why people liked it, but it honestly bored me to tears. Haven't seen it in a while though, so my opinion might have changed.

November 8th 2013

do it, big time pixar fanboy here and i can safely say its in their top 5... it just has so much atmosphere and emotion

as for this review, it was good. pos

November 8th 2013

Yeah, I should watch it again, cause it did have some great moments. Probably won't end up being one of my favorite Pixars (I'm a pretty big fanboy myself), but it's worth another shot.

November 8th 2013

big time pixar fanboy here and i can safely say its in their top 5... it just has so much atmosphere and emotion [2]

WashboardSuds

in the top 3 pixar movies for me

Ecnalzen
November 8th 2013

Aw, damn, I didn't know Thomas Newman did this! Love that dude's work; he does some great stuff.

November 8th 2013

Yeah, and he's really prolific. I'll probably check this out

Pheromone

Up is the best pixar film

November 8th 2013

Don't think they'll ever top Shrek, their best movie

November 8th 2013

^ Brace yourself for the Pixar fanboy rampage at that comment.

That or Ice Age

Trollolol

Ecnalzen
November 8th 2013

Ice Age and Shrek aren't even Pixar movies...

November 8th 2013

I think that was his point :P

Tunaboy45