Onslaught
VI

by Robert Davis CONTRIBUTOR (127 Reviews)
November 7th, 2013 | 19 replies | 1,556 views

Release Date: 09/20/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An onslaught of bangers 'n' thrash for the casual thrash enthusiast.

It’s heavy. It’s fast. It’s furious. Yes, it’s most definitely a thrash metal album. And although it’s never going to change anyone’s mind about the band or indeed the genre in general, Onslaught’s latest, well, “onslaught” is just as solid as Power from hell was almost three decades ago. If you’re going into this album wanting innovation, technical musicianship or indeed a progressive approach to songwriting, you may as well back out straight away, because VI is essentially as simple and unoriginal as a standard thrash metal album gets.

That’s not to say VI isn’t a good album. Rather, it’s a statement of intent which quite confidently proves that Onslaught still have plenty of life in them yet. Discounting the fact that it may or may not be as good as some of the more well-received extreme metal releases this year, Onslaught’s latest album is simply for those who love a bit of thrash to go with their copious amounts of alcohol and frantic bouts of headbanging, day in, day out. Plenty of songs from VI could fit the needs of those particular metalheads: "Chaos is king" and "66 ***ing 6" are perfect examples. The former races against time to produce some of the heaviest, gnarliest sounds of 2013 and the latter stamps its menacing, slow-burning grooves onto the listener’s eardrum, all the while vocalist Sy keeler force-feeding satanic lyrical imagery straight down everyone’s throats. Both "Slaughterize" and "Cruci-fiction" display the most furious drum rhythms and heaviest bass lines in the band's cannon, at times managing to emulate the chaotic nature of some of Onslaught’s more well known 80s peers, and few would argue that the reboot of long-time fan favourite "Shellshock" is anything but a refreshing take on the band’s earlier years.

It’s not all as good as it gets however. Both "Fuel for my fire" and "Children of the sand" begin very promisingly, but the moment the rhythm section kicks in, it all sounds too weak and far too overshadowed by the greatness of VI‘s best songs. Sure, it’s appropriately solid and intense, but even then those aforementioned songs suffer from an increasing lack of originality or musical strength. Sure, the likes of "Chaos is king" and "66 ***ing 6" are pretty much the same, but at least they have a way of making sure the instrumentation stays prominent and intense throughout. That said, VI is thrash, done the easy way. If you love thrash, and don’t mind a lack of originality, then this is for you. If you don’t like thrash, and prefer more forward-thinking musicianship, then reading this review was probably a waste of your time.

The Wounded Kings ConsolamentumSavage Messiah The Fateful Dark
De La Tierra De La TierraKampfar Djevelmakt
Conan Blood EagleButcher Babies Goliath

Full album:

No, it's not my best review, or indeed my longest, but I felt it was suitable for an album like this. I also apologize if anyone thinks there's an overall negative feel throughout the review, I was simply saying it like it is. I still love this album though, it's definitely some of the band's strongest work to date.

Voivod
November 7th 2013

In the summary, I would replace "purist" with "enthusiast".

Will read the rest of the review later.

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

tempest--
November 7th 2013

These guys are one of the few thrash bands that actually have a decent discography throughout their 25+ year career.

Good review man, I think you're a great writer. You should apply for contributor when it becomes available.

November 7th 2013

@Voivod: Changed. Any reason why you would replace "purist" with "enthusiast" though? I always took both words to mean the same thing.

@Lloyd: Thanks man, being a contributor doesn't mean all that much to me but I'll certainly take the chance when it arises.

Voivod
November 7th 2013

I think the word "purist" has a rather negative meaning and your review is not negative.

Also:

about the band or indeed the genre

about the band or the genre in general

November 7th 2013

Fair enough. Thanks for the advice.

awful album

Pretty fun

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

November 7th 2013

check the force bloc bro

November 7th 2013

this album is faux thrash

not even checkin

lol its queef kill

November 7th 2013

killing peace was sweet for modern thrash

I'll have to listen to The Force yeah

TheNotrap
November 8th 2013

Solid release.
Have a pos.

ThrashTillDeath94
December 28th 2013

I agree with the rating, and good job on the review.

This album wont blow anyone's mind and is certainly not the most original thrash release, but I
actually made it threw the entire album and gave it a few more listens afterward. There is some
really heavy material here, and while the vocalist's delivery is far from unique, he manages to not
ruin the album like so many other vocalists in modern thrash do. I find myself growing more fond of
this album with each listen.

Digging: Opeth - Still Life