Impending Doom
Death Will Reign

by guynamedcarl USER (1 Reviews)
November 6th, 2013 | 25 replies | 3,350 views

Release Date: 11/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Impending Doom's fifth outing is nothing new: 46 minutes worth of extreme heaviness and breakdowns.

Impending Doom is one of those bands that, throughout the years, never seemed to know what kind of band they wanted to be. From the slam album Nailed.Dead.Risen. to the melodic There Will Be Violence, there was never a smooth transition from album to album. Then Baptized in Filth arrived. It was extremely heavy, with a few twists and turns every now and then to keep you interested. So what's the next step for Impending Doom? Do they go back to their slam roots? Or do they revive the melody? The answer is neither. They continue their path down the road of heaviness. But it's become blatantly clear that they don't care about anything except that: being as heavy and as bleak as possible, and the music suffers because of it.

If this album was judged solely on the basis of how heavy and bleak it was, it would have probably gotten a perfect score. However, in the broad scope of the "deathcore" label, this album does nothing but perpetuate the stereotypes of the genre. Nothing very memorable, with all of the songs sounding relatively similar.

Additionally, the band seems to go out of their way to tune even lower as if it somehow makes the songs have a greater impact...and to no avail. There is little to no melody, and the production isn't as immersive as it was on Baptized in Filth. As a result, you're left with a heavy, bleak, and boring album that wouldn't really be good for anything other than trying to scare your parents.

Prior to this release, there hadn't been an Impending Doom record I couldn't enjoy in some capacity. It's very disappointing to think about because there was probably a lot of effort put into this album, but it clearly doesn't show. I was skeptical about this album from the beginning because all I heard about was how "heavy" it would be, not knowing that all melody and catchiness would simply be thrown out the window. But in the context of the album on its own, Death Will Reign is a safe release from a band that should probably be concerned with stagnation down the road.

Nocturnal (5)
Review is srsly. srs. srsly....

CollectTheLeaves (3.5)
Impending Doom's heaviest and strongest album yet....

YourDarkAffected
November 6th 2013

This for the most part is well-written, but your argument itself doesn't have a lot of concreteness to it and the rating is severely low for what you are saying in the actual review. It reads much more like a 2.5/2. If you really think this album is that awful then you need to be much more aggressive and punishing in the review otherwise it just isn't a good argument for this really being that bad.

Digging: Sallie - Moonlight Detective

DotNine
November 6th 2013

It's not a 1 but it's definitely nothing great.

Jacquibim
November 6th 2013

You don't need to be "more aggressive and punishing", you just need to be more thorough in your criticisms.

Nothing is memorable, and all of the songs sound exactly the same.

This criticism could be levelled at any album you didn't pay enough attention to, and looking at your conclusion, it seems as if you wanted to hate this from the beginning, so this point is practically void.

In addition to this being a vague criticism, you shouldn't be using ellipses (incorrectly I might add) in a review.

There are little to no musical elements, and the production isn't as crisp as it was on Baptized in Filth.

Vague. I don't even know what you mean by "musical elements", and if a person hasn't heard Baptised in Filth, they'll have literally no idea what to expect in regards to the production.

The same could be said of this review. Won't neg seeing as it's your first review, but you need to be far more in depth with your analysis else your review just comes across as a lengthy rant that belongs in the comment section.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

KingHarkinian

shit review

November 6th 2013

read the whole review and i don't know shit about what this sounds like

Shuyin

insta 5 and an awesome review

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

guynamedcarl
November 6th 2013

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Just wanted to clear some things up:

1. Didn't want to come in hating it. This is the first Impending Doom album that I've ever disliked,
and I didn't think I'd dislike it as much as I did.

2. It probably could have been worse, so maybe the 1 was a bit harsh. I'll try to avoid using it
from this point on.

3. A lot of your comments are definitely helpful, and I will use these tips in future reviews. This
was my first one, and it was spur of the moment. So it definitely could have been more clear, and I
could have been more detailed. But again, these are things that I will do in the future. Thanks for
reading.

EDIT: Rewrote some things, but still didn't go too much in depth like I will in the future.

Duckman118
November 6th 2013

I think this is Impending Doom's best album. I don't understand this review or that summery at all. The guitar work is tight, (all the instrumentation really), the breakdowns are tight, there is a crazy atmosphere going on throughout the album that makes you feel immersed, and it is probably on of the heaviest albums this year. These guys do heavy better than most bands.

Nocturnal
November 6th 2013

Impending Doom at their peak.

Death Metal aoty

November 6th 2013

hmmmmm may have to check this then

EDIT: pretty neet breakdowns

FiveLeavesLeft

Lol 0 of 9

AfterTheBreakdown
November 6th 2013

Heard one of the singles might try the rest.

SatelliteYears
November 6th 2013

0 for 11, much like BJ Upton's at-bats this year.

hehe BJ

MuzikAddikt
November 6th 2013

Awesome album. One of my favorites for 2013.

Nocturnal

Doomsday Bros so fucking hard

tresm87

2:32 to end on rip tear burn

Digging: PVRIS - Acoustic E.P.

MosesMalone
November 7th 2013

I dunno it pretty much just goes JUNJUNJUN and who honestly thinks Impending Doom should do anything else?

November 7th 2013

true, but these lyrics are a little less forward about being christian af

BlackDragon
November 7th 2013

Now there's some solid logic.