Nightwish
Over The Hills And Far Away

by Trajan Paul Murphy USER (17 Reviews)
November 5th, 2013 | 9 replies | 922 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While not being impressive by any means, Over The Hills And Far Away is still a solid release that will almost certainly satisfy fans of Nightwish.

It's always risky for a band to do a cover song. At best, the band pulls the cover off well, adapts it to their style, and sometimes even makes it just as good as the original. At worst, the band does not transition the song over to their style in a smooth way, the song is butchered beyond recognition, and it draws the ire of their original artists' fans. With Over The Hills And Far Away, Nightwish take an even bigger risk than usual by basing an entire release around a cover song. Fortunately, this EP falls into the former category.

The EP begins with the title track (originally by Gary Moore). The song works because, not only did the band successfully adapt the song into their signature style, but they took an already great song and arguably made it even better. It is a song designed to get the listener into the album, and to capture their attention. In other words, it's the usual Nightwish opening track.

Most of the EP lives up to the expectations set by the title track. Both "10th Man Down" and "Astral Romance", while not being among Nightwish's finer songs, still manage to be good enough to keep people interested, while doing nothing truly impressive. However, "Away" gets a little boring. If it were cut down from 5 minutes to 3 minutes, it would be a much stronger track, but at the length it is, it feels unnecessarily drawn out. The EP sometimes sounds a little unfocused, because while being presented as an entirely new collection of songs, it is a compilation of unreleased tracks (save for the title track).

Ultimately, Over The Hills And Far Away is a solid addition to the Nightwish catalog, that while not being impressive by any stretch of the word, will certainly please fans of the band, and will hopefully leave a positive impression on a new listener.

Delain The Human ContradictionKamelot Karma
Epica The Phantom AgonyPoets of the Fall Signs of Life
Enmity Illuminations of Vile EngorgementNightwish Showtime, Storytime
Shattered_Future (4)

TPM731
November 4th 2013

I decided that this needed another review, because the other one isn't very good in my opinion. Comments and feedback are much appreciated.

P.S. Can someone tell me how to add italics into the text?

Ayashi
November 4th 2013

Well, the thing is the review is mighty short! It's an EP, sure, but it's almost sound-off length as is.

Nightwish was the absolute number one group of my teen years. God, it was amazing. The day Tarja was fired, I listened to Oceanborn in my room with the lights off and literally got so emotional I cried. Like, it was crazy. No band has gotten me that emotional afterwards, even if I do love stuff like Radiohead and Arcade Fire more these days.

Every song on this thing is classic Nightwish, it's even better than a 3,5 imo

TPM731
November 4th 2013

Well, I started writing the review and realized there wasn't very much to say about it (because it's only four songs long). So I just did the best I could.

November 4th 2013

didn't read but have a pos tho bro

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

PsychicChris
November 4th 2013

The Over the Hills cover and 10th Man Down are two of my favorite Nightwish recordings.

TheSkilledMachinist9
November 4th 2013

The last part of 10th man down is one of the sickest moments in symphonic metal.

TheSlenderMan

Rules hard, good work.

Epictemptation
November 5th 2013

Not my fav ep from them.

Azn.
November 5th 2013

-gothic power metal-

Digging: How to Dress Well - What Is This Heart?