Booka Shade
Eve

by Jonny Hunter CONTRIBUTOR (103 Reviews)
November 4th, 2013 | 19 replies

Release Date: 11/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's okay 2013, you can dance now.

After a three year wait and a considerable level of label drama, the completion of a new album from these two veterans of German dance music seemed contentious. Recently, it’s come to light that the duo nearly became two singles in the process, which would have left us with a criminally brief discography struggling since the excellence of 2006’s Movements. Inspiration was happily found in Manchester’s vintage recording studio Eve, resulting in what can only be described as one of the most cathartic dance records in recent memory as Booka Shade find peace and restitution in the hypnotic waves of German techno.

The best thing is all this depth comes as a bit of a surprise, since Eve can be likened to an actualisation of Arcade Fire’s recent attempt at making a double album. The first half kicks off with six flawless examples of dancefloor-ready techno: infectious grooves and creative percussion are dressed up in dense horn blasts, trumpets, vocal samples and a myriad minute variations to make tracks impossible to stay still to. With no-nonsense, unstoppably uplifting single “Love Inc.” leading the charge and “Perfect Time” already doing the rounds in my local Bristol scene, Booka Shade would appear to have made one of the best dance releases this year.

I’d say it was wrong, but the statement holds true despite the step the duo take on track seven. For no reason, it seems, Eve leaves the club, takes the organic and analogue components of the first half with it, walks home and crashes out on a bed with them to make deeply contemplative, relaxing electronic love for 30 minutes. Even when picking up after the almost completely guitar-based jam of “Time’s On My Side,” the rolling techno grooves are hypnotic as opposed to the earlier, less intimate explosion of catharsis. One would imagine plenty of deep eye staring and intense clutching was involved.

Take “Only When You Wake Up” as an example. It seems slow, submerged, with a dampened beat and hushed up female cries. Like the rest of Eve it sticks to the idea of an emotional outburst but the track explores sadder, more subdued ground. At the same time, we get these interesting sub-bass kicks and synth jabs which give it a sense of urgency and emotion. It’s in no way a dance track, but “Only When You Wake Up” is intelligently mesmerising while also leading perfectly into the final two tracks which both continue on this more experimental path.

It would perfectly fit the narrative for the first half of Eve to have been made in the duo’s turmoil and the second to come from their moment of inspiration, but truth be told it’s impossible to say for sure. Despite the confusion, we’re still left with an album kicking off with some of the best dance tracks of the year and following up with a second half evocative enough to knock you off your feet, which is hard to refuse.

Throwing Snow MosaicSOHN Tremors
A Winged Victory for the Sullen Atomos VIIPlinth (UK) Music For Smalls Lighthouse
The Correspondents Puppet Loosely StrungSon Lux Alternate Worlds

Listen to Love Inc: https://soundcloud.com/booka-shade/love-inc-5

foxblood
November 4th 2013

oh shit new booka shade?:0 awesome!

pizzamachine

cool

November 4th 2013

Very eager to check this out.

Nice work, made me really amped!

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

November 4th 2013

How is that Mosca EP in the Rec'd section btw? Saw it passing on Nodata, but didn't pick it up (yet).

Yotimi
November 4th 2013

Awesome, didn't know we were getting new booka this year

foxblood

this is great so far

November 4th 2013

Mostly because I'd just downloaded it, new it was dance and hadn't listened. I have listened now and feel a bit silly.

Have you heard the Baio one? It's really, really good.

Nope, will do.
Just started listening to this; first track is bliss.

Eloriaz
November 4th 2013

Needless to say, I have to get this!

Digging: Simian Mobile Disco - Whorl

Deviant.
November 4th 2013

Never got into these guys

New Mosca is suitably excellent, though I can see why Ann Aimee signed him up for that release. Has more in common with Delta Funktionen and the like, than the usual funky/garage house of Eva Mendes

Digging: LV and Joshua Idehen - Islands

November 4th 2013

Wow I read that wrong the first time...

Oh well.

November 4th 2013

That's the sound a gun makes when you shoot someone

booka!

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

scissorlocked
November 5th 2013

seems nice, gonna listen soon

only familiar with Movements which is pretty good

Deviant.
December 17th 2013

Fuck me this album is horrid

December 17th 2013

Yeah it's starting to wear off fast. Bumping down.

Yotimi
December 17th 2013

Movement is awesome but yeah i haven't seen too many positive things about this one unfortunately

insomniac15
December 26th 2013

Saw these guys live a few years ago. They were so good, I couldn't stop dancing throughout their set.

Digging: Amplifier - Mystoria