Cage
Kill the Architect

by Butkuiss USER (12 Reviews)
November 4th, 2013 | 11 replies

Release Date: 10/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nothing up my sleeves but my WM

Upon first listen, one could easily be forgiven for reading the brooding, nihilistic pulse that fills the arteries of Kill The Architect as Chris Palko’s commentary on modern hip-hop. Indeed, when he claims, as he does in the first thirty seconds of the album’s opener, that “Hip-hop should be on a table with a rape kit,” it’s hard not to. After over a decade burrowing through the recesses of alternative hip-hop’s collective consciousness, it’s hard to find someone who isn’t at least aware of Cage, perennially compared to Eminem as he is (and perchance unfairly, because really, what suburban male teen hasn’t thought they were shocking or deep delving into topics of sex, drugs and violence without realizing just how tired the trope has become?) It’s no surprise then, that after four albums, and collaborations with everyone ranging from El-P to Kid Cudi to Actual Cannibal Shia LaBeouf, Palko would seem more than a little pissed at his relative lack of notoriety outside the underground.

Coming off the back of the more-miss-than-hit punk-rap leanings of previous album Depart From Me, Kill The Architect sets up an ominous, yet often minimalistic haze of rumbling synth lines coupled with fuzzed-out guitars and desolate percussion. Cage no longer raps with the frenzied fervor found on Movies for the Blind, nor the soulful, introspective “emo-rap” of his crowning glory, sophomore effort Hell’s Winter, instead coating album highlights such as ‘Fuck This Game’ and ‘You Were The Shit (In High School)’ with lines delivered somewhere between pessimistic and apathetic. One can almost see the wry smile on Palko’s face while adding spoonfuls of dark sarcasm to help the medicine down as he somewhat detachedly raps about as uncharacteristically cheery topics as past lovers aborting his unborn children, the ethics of fur clothing, and the tortures of the artistic process.

Kill The Architect presents yet another stylistic shift in Cage’s distinct brand of visceral hip-hop, and though fans expecting a retread of old ground will be sorely disappointed, if one takes Cage’s past persona at face value, detractors who take to their blogs to protest may want to watch that a giggling Palko doesn’t show up behind them with a murderous grin one cold winter night. Kill The Architect ultimately manages to stand apart from the rest of his discography as a strong, coherent release, and, though it may not top Hell’s Winter as a whole (without a return from Daryl Palumbo, no album ever could), it's still one of the stronger hip-hop releases in recent times from the often unfairly maligned Palko.

Between the Devil and the Deep Paper SpineDuality and the Republic Uno
The Jezabels PrisonerDelusion Twin A Damaged Machine
Monuments We Are the FoundationPeriphery Icarus

November 4th 2013

My one yearly review. Fuck This Swear Filter.

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

Brostep

hint: sh(size=2)i(/size)t with [ instead of ( cancels out the swear filter

Ilyu brostep. Ty.

Brostep

np bby

November 7th 2013

Kind of a shame this only has 12 ratings. Guess a lot of Cage's fanbase has moved on lately.

Phlegm
November 20th 2013

took a dump last night, now i'm on some next shit

November 22nd 2013

Tee hee.

TomArnoldsArmpit
December 6th 2013

this is dope as fuck. I'm actually really surprised by how much I like this. those beats are nasty

December 6th 2013

Yup. It's a shame people are passing it over because he's not retreading old ground again.

noodlesdagoon
December 25th 2013

Great review. Very to the point! I'll admit it's taken me a bit to get into this, as DFM completely turned me off to C. Palko, but this is def a step in the better direction. I like Mi's beats on here better than Movies! The logical sequel to Hell's Winter.

LordePots
January 31st 2014

of course butkuiss liked this! awesome. I was all kinds of pleasantly surprised by this album.

Digging: Kitty Pryde - FROSTBITE