Daniel Avery
Drone Logic

by Olivier De Clercq CONTRIBUTOR (38 Reviews)
November 3rd, 2013 | 60 replies | 3,910 views

Release Date: 10/07/2013 | Tracklist

Daniel Avery's debut LP is one of those pure big-room house records that effortlessly survives the living room listening test. Make no mistake, Avery constructed these twelve tracks with a packed club space in mind, and there is no question that the progressive acid stomp of 'Water Jump' or the downright euphoric synth chords from 'All I Need' will provide plenty peak-time highlights for the contemporary superstar DJ's set. However, the stunning attention to detail, the flow from one track to the next and an overall sense of a clear artistic vision make sure that Drone Logic provides equally as much kicks for the home listener.

Throughout the course of Drone Logic, Avery compiles both work that could be found on his previous output, and some rather stunning new cuts. As such, the album marks both an end and starting point for the producer, who melded his influences - ranging from classic acid house, Underworld trance and Chem Brothers rave - into one giant stirring pot and came up with something very much indepted to the past whilst still completely his own. The title track reminds of Underworld's classic 'Rez', until it changes midway through to the best Factory Floor track they never released. Following seemlessly is 'These Nights Never End', a downright schizofrenic, supercooled techno drone that's bound to give the kids on acid the nightmare of their lives. The darker tones and motives of the first half of the record do become mellower as the album progresses, though, resulting in a final trio of tracks that lifts the blurred, drugged-out slumber induced in the head by that which came before; especially penultimate track 'New Energy (Live Through It)' does this job remarkably.

In a year chuck-full of fantastic and perhaps even game-changing electronic releases, Avery's debut can surely hold the title of "best dance album". Indeed, no other album this year succeeded equally in aiming so straighforwardly for the clubs, while still rewarding the listener with so much more. And rest assured: he's only getting started.

Ben Frost A U R O R AThe Notwist Close to the Glass
The Men Tomorrow's HitsValentin Stip Sigh
Actress GhettovilleBurial Rival Dealer

- Water Jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V3SY7TTRBk
- All I Need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkcR0OaNr34
- New Energy (Live Through It): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-yX0ip3V3c

Quick and lazy review, but the album is phenomenal. Now if someone could just fix that damned artwork, that'd be great.

Digging: Sully - Blue

November 3rd 2013

Great, great album. Nice to see a review for it on here.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

November 3rd 2013

must check this, nice work clercq

that avatar :x

November 3rd 2013

Oh hey, that was quick! Thanks for sorting that out.

Glad to see you digging this, Omaha.

November 3rd 2013

Randomly downloaded it for a recent electronic kick, and I've been very impressed.

November 3rd 2013

If you're still in that kick, I'd check out that Holden album in the Rec'd section as well, if you haven't.

Haha Omaha I figured you'd like it

Typhoner
November 3rd 2013

nice work, maybe I should try writing shorter reviews like this (where "short" is still a rather typical length). I guess I should listen to this.

fantastic releases, many. But which ones would you consider game-changing?

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

i can jam this

November 3rd 2013

fantastic releases, many. But which ones would you consider game-changing?

Note the "perhaps". Idk, I'd definitely consider Immunity and Engravings to be game-changing in their production value.

November 3rd 2013

that last paragraph makes me wonder: have you listened to floorplan?

Nope, hook me up plz
You mean this one: http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=13240 ?

it's on ru and slsk

ShitsofRain

album cover of the year

Digging: Ben Sims - Fabric 73

nandacollection (^:

ShitsofRain

which is the worst

nandacollection (^:

What the...? Haha, epic cover.

MaskAtTheMasquerade

:]

November 3rd 2013

Either Floorplan is overrated or I just don't like techno that much, since I didn't really feel it. Gave this a first listen and it was pretty good, though as someone who's been inoculated with balls-to-the-walls electro and pop house I don't see the "big-room" aspect of this as much as I probably should. Will listen again