Sky Ferreira

by Will Robinson STAFF
November 2nd, 2013 | 68 replies | 11,227 views

Release Date: 10/29/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In response to Pavelboca

“For a young artist whose troubles have been so often publicized, it’s surprising that she has so little to say. Night Time, My Time feels like an entirely escapist affair, where Ferreira seems to have surrounded herself by big hooks and crunchy guitars while turning her back to any sort of deeper self-reflection.”

There’s some truth to the above statement. Throughout Night Time, My Time, Ferreira waxes poetic about boys, relationships, and more boys. There’s very little by way of quote-unquote “anti-pop” introspection and meaning, almost totally opposite the other similar “bombast-pop” hit of late, Lorde’s Pure Heroine. Lyrical clunkers abound, such as Heavy Metal Heart’s supremely vapid hook of “You make my heavy metal heart beat beat oh oh / Oh yeah my heavy metal heart heart heart oh oh.” An artist can only hide so far behind the barricade-like justification of “it’s pop music,” and it would seem that Ferreira is veering dangerously close to the point where she can no longer defend herself from assaults on her writing abilities.

But - and here is where Mr. Pavelboca’s review and mine differ - who really gives a shit? Like, we can put on our critical goggles and view the album from a totally isolated place, be it in the car, at the computer, or within a home stereo system, and say, “Why yes, I do indeed believe Madame Ferreira’s vapid poetry fits rather poorly within her opus and the greater context of pop music as a whole and its ever-looming trend towards [insert buzzword of your choice here].” But here’s the secret to enjoying Night Time, My Time, the very reason you see a big red “4.0” up above: she’s writing about what she knows, and that’s what makes the album so real. She’s 21, for crying out loud; it stands to reason she’d be consumed with the societal construct of the most likely inevitable interminable contract with that one special person for the rest of her life. In other words: of course she’s obsessed with boys. And that’s exactly why the album can kick off fully honestly with an “I knew it was love,” and then continue on to pour out an emotionally exhausting chronicle of her own fragility. And, most importantly, it works - it’s easy to see that Ferreira is being truthful, that she’s actually and truly worried about boys, and needs someone to help her believe.

More than just that, Ferreira uses Night Time, My Time as a platform to talk about herself. She craves attention (“Nobody Asked Me”), curses the emptiness of prestige (I Blame Myself), and screams at unrequited love (“You’re Not the One”). It just feels so brutally honest that there’s really no need for grand, pretentious societal criticisms. So, in conclusion, the album is true in a way that’s difficult to see from the vantage point of the misty Pitchforkian mountain range (note: I have no fucking idea what Pitchfork gave this album, but it really doesn’t matter). And maybe it just speaks to me because I feel a lot like her, a love-starved teenager who loves the idea of relationships and having that one significant person but doesn’t know if he’ll find that person who could fill that void he assumes is there. Or maybe it’s just because it’s 10:30 on a Friday night and I’m exhausted after college application after college application with no hope for a social life until January 1st, and I resent that. Point is, it doesn’t matter. Night Time, My Time is important and perpetually relevant in a way many other albums can’t even dream of. Fuck vapidity, fuck lyrical brilliance, and most of all fuck pettiness and love.

Oh, and the instrumentation’s pretty good too yeah.

Venetian Snares My Love Is A BulldozerSeven Lions Worlds Apart
Big Freedia Just Be FreeSam Smith In the Lonely Hour
Throwing Snow MosaicFatima Yellow Memories
3.3
fish CONTRIBUTOR (2.5)

Ryan Hoffman (2)
In Response to Will Robinson...

Vincent A. (3)
Sky Ferreira's debut is a highly listenable but ultimately vapid exercise in bombastic pop....

Ghost

tl;dr fuck the world

November 1st 2013

probably not too witty in general

hmm. interesting review....

lol

November 1st 2013

"I Blame Myself" is a powerful song where it really feels like she is trying to say something. I just wish the album had a bit more of that. I like the album for what it is, a "good" (3.0) pop album.

Opinions, man.

November 1st 2013

"in response to Pavelboca" oh god...

November 1st 2013

I wrote this review knowing that you're one of the strongest user reviewers on the site and assuming you'll probably be promoted, and hoping you'd be fine with it. I've seen this done before and both parties were fine, sorry if this isn't kosher.

November 1st 2013

I mean I think your review would be stronger if it didn't sound like some kinda fanboy response to my own. Regardless of your intention, it reads a bit douchey. Particularly this line:

But I liked the review regardless- I just think your opinions are strong enough to function on their own.

Omaha
November 1st 2013

I def don't think this is "fanboyish" in any way-- he simply addressed the points you made, and explained why he disagrees-- agrees too, but mostly the former-- with them

Anyhow, this is the ballsiest I've seen you around these parts, Will. Diggin' it

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

Deviant.
November 1st 2013

Really? Your review is a deliberate response to another review, and that's it?

Like, referencing other reviews is fine, but this is just a tit for tat response rather than a definitive counterpoint

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

brandontaylor
November 2nd 2013

enjoyed the review, i see where both sides of the argument are coming from but I still really enjoy this album.

and for what it's worth pitchfork gave the album an 8.1

November 2nd 2013

I thought the portrayal of me as a pretentious douchebag in paragraph 3 was maybe a bit much?

Like I said though, your points I agree with.

Deviant.
November 2nd 2013

Remember when Downer responded to Chambered? Yeah, this feels like that. It's really quite impressive to see someone feeding off of someone else's emotions and thoughts, rather than y'know, feeding off of the music itself. That whole last paragraph is just embarrassing

FiveLeavesLeft
November 2nd 2013

This isn't a review, it's the equivalent of a blog post. It doesn't even feel disguised as a review.
Using the entire write-up as a response to someone else's write-up is just ridiculous. I'll admit,
I've really seen better from you. :[

silentstar
November 2nd 2013

"But - and here is where Mr. Pavelboca’s review and mine differ - who really gives a shit?"

are we supposed to be meta and take that to mean that we shouldn't really care about what you've just written?

November 2nd 2013

It's really more of a blog-post than a review, but since I don't have access to the blog here we are.

November 2nd 2013

Isn't there a way to post journals or something on this site?

November 2nd 2013

Only if you're a staffer

Tyrael

20740 Comments

'But - and here is where Mr. Pavelboca’s review and mine differ - who really gives a shit?'

Your 'review' could have been summarised by this one sentece in a comment on the other one

And honestly, what's the point in having any kind of music critisicm at all if you're just gonna applaud artists even if they are producing music that is totally vapid? I just don't know what the hell you're even trying to do here.

helpoemer420

What's wrong with discussion

November 2nd 2013

Discussion belongs in comments.