Radiohead
The Best Of

1.5
very poor

by Hudson Echo USER (14 Reviews)
November 1st, 2013 | 29 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Radiohead is one of the most versatile bands of the last 20 years. They have gone from grunge, to rock, to electronic and everything in between. They have been labeled as "experimental" because of the many different flavors their albums come in. The Bends was a more straightforward rock album, but when Kid A came out in 2000, the world was shocked. It was radically different from The Bends, and highly expanded on the sound from their previous album, one of the most famous in music history, OK Computer. Their ability to change is their strongest asset. They can change, and while everyone is surprised at first listen, they will eventually get used to, and usually love, the new sound. This is what makes the band great. This is why they have many dedicated fans.

Usually when someone wants a simple introduction to a band, the first thing they look for is a greatest hits collection. If the band is highly popular, they will have one. They are usually satisfied with this record. Most "best of's" are a good way to introduce the band to someone who hasn't listened to their music before. It is an easy way to learn the most popular songs of the band and, later on, get into the deeper cuts.

But Radiohead is not a band like this. Radiohead is not a band that should have a comprehensive "greatest hits" collection twenty years from now that will be their biggest selling album like Queen or the Eagles. Radiohead is not Queen or the Eagles. They do not like staying in one place. They want to move into different territory on every album. Because of this, throwing together seventeen songs from their albums in a scattered and ineffective track listing will not be enough. People listening to to this collection, without having listened to any other song by Radiohead (even though that means they're living under a rock) won't understand the greatness of Radiohead because they listen to their "best cuts". The essence of Radiohead is in their albums. They are meant to be listened to from start to finish. They are not meant to be tossed haphazardly into a collection of songs that do not represent them.

Albums like Kid A are to be experienced. When hearing the first notes of "Everything In Its Right Place," I know that everything is indeed in its right place on this album. The songs on Kid A are arranged in an order by Radiohead, in the order that they are meant to be listened to in. The hard rock song The Bends leads into the quiet, beautiful, stormy, odd-time-signatured Pyramid Song. This would clearly throw off a new listener. They are not meant to be listened to in that order. For Radiohead, a greatest hits collection is useless. The songs can not be represented by a few songs off of each album, because of the contrast between them. I would not recommend this to anyone who hasn't heard Radiohead before, but rather one of their true albums. I also would not recommend this to anyone who has heard Radiohead before.

Big Star #1 RecordWu-Tang Clan Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Weezer The Green AlbumNick Drake Pink Moon
Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted FantasyBruce Springsteen Born to Run
3.2
good
Blair Chopin (3)
A good listen for people just getting into Radiohead....

Musicface42
October 31st 2013

I'm probably way too harsh and rambling, I just feel strongly about this

October 31st 2013

queen didnt stay in once place either until halfway through their career

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

HolidayKirk
October 31st 2013

Weird conclusion but I agree with a lot of your points.

tommygun

worthless compilation agreed

HolidayKirk
October 31st 2013

This could be done right though with proper sequencing.

Musicface42

ridiculous track listing...honestly

StallionMang

Ramble on

Digging: The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground

JustinKing
October 31st 2013

I understand the purpose of them, but God, I hate any kind of "Greatest Hits" albums.

record companies innit

SnakeDelilah

fuckin emi

Digging: Sun Kil Moon - Benji

October 31st 2013

lol this whole paragraph is the same point over and over and over again

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

October 31st 2013

best of's are the worst fucking thing ever, they ruin albums cuz you'll know like 2-3 songs from each really well so when you finally jam the full album, you'll already be sick of 2 or 3 of the songs it's the fucking worst

Parallels
October 31st 2013

"They have gone from grunge, to-"

"grunge, to"

"grunge"

wat

mrdrumstick
October 31st 2013

Ok I agree with your point, however this isn't an album review. Would have been easier just to comment
on someone else's greatest hits review with "Radiohead shouldn't have a greatest hits album". Instead
you take four paragraphs to say it.

SgtPepper
November 1st 2013

I don't mind if Radiohead compilations exist, but I hate that doesn't even have a lot of their best stuff like "the national anthem", "the gloaming", "myxomatosis", "backdrifts", or "Dollar and Cents".

I guess the record company was going for the most commercial tracks. I also agree that this reads more like an opinionated rant than a review. Like others I agree with a few of your points but, honestly, who the hell cares if they release a greatest hits? I personally think this is a great introduction for new listeners. the tracklist choice is pretty diverse and captures their different stages. I wont pos or neg, though.

Nafain
November 1st 2013

Yeah i don't like greatest hits comps at all but i also dont like radiohead so

trainofconsequence