Seeker
Unloved

1.5
very poor

by danielito19 USER (22 Reviews)
October 31st, 2013 | 26 replies

Release Date: 10/29/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Brutally boring.

Feedback opens into a fast, heavily palm-muted chaotic section. The guitars alternate between low-pitched chugs and high-pitched squeals. The bass is inaudible. The drums seem to be hitting everything in sight. One of the guitars plays a brief, semi-technical riff. Then, an even heavier chugging section. The riff returns. Everything drops out but the vocals, which are fairly indecipherable. Then, a breakdown.

This sound is so overused it’s nigh-on impossible to namedrop just one band for comparison. The worst part about it is that every song has a ridiculously brief cool bit. Take the semi-technical riff from the first song. It sounds like something from a Dillinger Escape Plan B-side. The difference between Dillinger and the Seeker is that Dillinger does “cool bits” throughout every song, and transitions endlessly from one “cool bit” to another. The Seeker has a “cool bit” somewhere in the middle of every song to make sure they haven’t lost your attention, and they then return to the painfully boring chugging they had previously exhibited through the rest of the song.

The songs are all very homogenous, and all follow a specific formula. Once the requisite “cool bit” is in place, The Seeker places “fast chug” sections, “slow chug” sections, and breakdowns. Every song has at least one section from each category. The fast chug sections are generally just one or two djent-y chords played ad nauseum, while the slow sections resemble heavy riffs. The breakdowns are your standard deathcore fare, with “violent” and “brutal” lyrics repeated over a “heavy” chugging attack played at a crawlingly slow place. It’s completely pedestrian.

Overall, the album is half an hour of completely unmemorable deathcore played on seven-string guitars. Why would you want to listen to this?

Mozart's Sister BeingGlenn Branca The Ascension
Unwound Leaves Turn Inside YouFucked Up David Comes to Life
Strung Out An American ParadoxCoerce Ethereal Surrogate Saviour

October 31st 2013

so when you go to a meeting of the music review committee at your school, don't mention that you like metal. they'll assign you the one metal album they received. Publishing this here first but once I send it to the head it'll be on my campus radio website.

October 31st 2013

dude this review seems more like you have a personal grudge against the music being played.

Digging: Doves - Lost Souls

Avagantamos

happy halloween

Digging: Buried Inside - Chronoclast

Avagantamos

more like DumbTalent lmao

October 31st 2013

What does that sentence even mean?

more like DumbTalent lmao

October 31st 2013

Anyways Nerd, will you explain what you mean? I'd like to improve from your neg.

October 31st 2013

Alright alright, as I should've said before I'm no reviewer personally It just feels like it's just a bit on the short side and the majority of the points you make are just telling us how awful the album is instead of elaborating on why it is, I reread it again a few seconds ago and It is a good review I just feel if you expanded it a bit.

As I said before It probably is a damn good review and I'm just nitpicking with little to back up my accusations. I Probably wont check this out but is this anywhere on the internet?

October 31st 2013

I was actually experimenting with a shorter review this time around. I wanted to be concise.

looks like there's a stream here http://lambgoat.com/features/107/Seeker-Unloved-album-stream

Alright cheers.

Omeggia
October 31st 2013

Hits hard but that's no where near enough to hold it together. At least the songs aren't longer than they need to be.

wacknizzle
October 31st 2013

Lol, good review. Still might check this though

Digging: Dioramic - Supra

Nocturnal
October 31st 2013

Saw these guys live and it was terrible.

wacknizzle
October 31st 2013

Wow, the end of the title track has the same exact riff at the end of Concubine. Complete rip-off

tresm87
November 11th 2013

this isnt as bad as everyone is rating/ saying

Digging: Texas In July - Bloodwork

Owantjaaaa
December 3rd 2013

It's even produced by kurt ballou

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

Eulogize
December 3rd 2013

Sounds right up my alley. Gonna check this out once I get home.

BeneaththeDarkOcean
December 8th 2013

"It's even produced by kurt ballou"

No, it's produced by Zack Ohren. Stop spouting bullshit, man, check your facts (I have the CD).

Owantjaaaa
December 8th 2013

that's what metalsucks said don't kill me yo

BeneaththeDarkOcean
December 9th 2013

Sorry, man, didn't mean to be so harsh. either way we can agree that this is shit. cheers