Yamantaka // Sonic Titan
Uzu

by Lani Parker USER (3 Reviews)
October 30th, 2013 | 53 replies

Release Date: 10/29/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Noh, really

Yamantaka // Sonic Titan burst unto the internet buzz machine in 2011 with their debut LP, YT // ST, a sludgy, yet spacious output that draws from as many decades as cultures. For all of the stoner rock moments, there are just as many Japanese gibberish lyrics and distorted samples resembling throat singing. The album’s centerpiece, “Reverse Crystal // Murder of a Spider” opens with an ethereal distorted sample and then takes a hard left turn into a psychedelic rocker that morphs between ideas and influences with reckless abandon.

The band’s new release, Uzu, is significantly more colorful and incorporates a more narrative sense than its predecessor. The opening combination of “Atalanta” and “Whalesong” introduces a rumbling, epic scope that propelled forward by Ruby Kato Attwood’s angelic hymn for the titular character of the former and the instantly catchy main piano riff on the latter. This momentum drives into one of the strongest tracks on the record, “Lamia”, in which Ruby’s vocals sound as if they are ringing throughout a mountainous valley, accompanied by a disembodied stellar choir.

It is with the track, “Wildflower” that the record slows down and reaches its low point, from which it doesn’t recover until the end of the “Seasickness pt2”. This isn’t to say the middle of the record doesn’t have its strong points. “Hall of Mirrors” contains some brilliantly harsh vocal delivery and both parts of “Seasickness” have an enjoyable build up that unfortunately peters out before it hits a climax. However, given the trio it opens with and the trio it ends with, this section leaves something to be desired as nothing hits with the same poignancy.

On “Bring me the Hand of Bloody Benzaiten”, the grand atmosphere of the opening returns with a vengeance. A creepy atmosphere sets in, fueling Taiko drumming that gradually grows louder. “One” hits like a brick to the face and explodes into one of the year’s catchiest sung melodies. The band as a whole are at their strongest here and they created an opus that is dance inducing and stands on its own aesthetically.

As a whole, Uzu is a fantastic follow up to YT // ST that expands their sound further out from the stoner rock influences into more catchy, atmospheric territory. Despite the lackluster midsection, Alaska B’s drumming, which shines on “Seasickness pt2” is as impressive as ever and Attwood’s vocals form a greater piece of the overall picture. The band as a whole incorporates a wider variety of influences into an even more impressive record.

YT//ST

October 29th 2013

Wasn't expect this to flirt with track-by-track so much, but I wanted to avoid talking about the by now over reported background of Alaska B and Ruby Kato Attwood.

SeaAnemone

20946 Comments

not really

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

Days of Future Passed
October 29th 2013

Not a bad review, I'm glad you avoided talking about their background. I'd say try and tie all your ideas together (e.g. for this album you could talk more about how this album incorporates a stronger narrative sense than the previous album, then give specific examples of this). Dunno, just my thoughts.

I enjoyed "One" so I should probably hear this.

Digging: BADBADNOTGOOD - III

conesmoke
October 30th 2013

sounds interesting. ill pos ya

Keyblade

Hey you reviewed it yay

Digging: Fen - Carrion Skies

October 30th 2013

they delivered another fantastic record

damn

October 30th 2013

@Keyblade Yep, it took a while, too.

this review reads like a 4.5 to me

October 30th 2013

I am still experimenting with my reviews. Quite a few people were put off by how negative my Ulver review seemed so I decided to ease up on the negative criticism on this one. Honestly, I was originally going to give it a 3.5, but the album grew on me more as I was writing this.

yeah it's something between 3.5 - 4.5

yt // st still has their best song though

October 30th 2013

Out of curiosity, which song is that?

A Star Over Pureland of course

better than One

October 30th 2013

Damn, I wasn't expecting you to sat my favorite.

EaglesBecomeVultures
October 30th 2013

first listen was man first one is better
second listen was aight i fucks with it
third listen was like awwyeah

sweet review and fuck sea he sucks

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

October 30th 2013

Exactly. This one has quite a bit going on that you don't notice the first time around.

EaglesBecomeVultures

TWELVE

treeqt.

outrageous

November 1st 2013

I am shocked it is only 12. But then, I guess, not everything is appreciated in these parts.