Erra
Augment

good

by kidthatplaysguitar91 USER (2 Reviews)
October 29th, 2013 | 41 replies | 1,622 views

Release Date: 10/29/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Overall this album sounds like Impulse 2, and listening from start to finish is quite a boring activity. Each song is good in itself, but as an album it has very little progression and maintains the same pace throughout. In my opinion, this is not a stand

When I first heard Impulse by Erra, I was very impressed, and was optimistic for their future. They had great musicianship, great vocal melodies, and great breakdowns. I never thought that they were the most original band ever, but I hoped that these good musicians would do what good musicians do and evolve. Augment does not do that.

Now before anyone assumes that I hated the album, I didn't hate the album. Each song is pretty solid in itself, and some songs really stand out and make you want to listen again. However, listening to the album from start to finish is quite boring. Almost all of the songs stay with their usual format of fast lead riffs with chugging breakdown parts underneath. The vocals do their usual screaming verses, and high singing choruses. The entire pace of the album stays at pretty much a constant rate. With my first listen of the album I kept asking myself, 'haven't I already heard this?'.

What this album does do very well, are the breakdowns and the guitar solos. Their lead guitarist is very good at writing guitar solos that stand out, and can actually get stuck in your head. The solos have a very nice mix of melody and shredding, and make a lot of sense in the context of the song. Some of the breakdowns in this album are also very well written. The breakdown at the end of 'Pulse' is definitely a standout part of the album. These two factors are, in my opinion, what makes this band stand out from the other hundreds of bands in this similar genre.

Songs that stand out:

Ultraviolet, Spirits Away, Prometheus, and Dementia represent the style that I was hoping they would pursue more of. These songs sound the most different from Impulse, and have a lot more progression and melody. These songs have the what I would consider to be the most interesting guitar riffs, and guitar solos. Being a guitarist, that is very important to me. These songs also have vocal parts that feature the singer doing something different from his typical insanely high singing parts.

The song 'Dementia' deserves its own paragraph. It has a great intro that explodes into a great verse, with some of the bands best guitar riffs. The singer does some clean vocal parts that remind me of 'The Contortionist', and 'BTBAM'; considering I love both of those bands this makes a great plus. The long guitar solo about halfway through the song is perfectly placed, and makes an excellent transition into what I would consider to be one of the highlights of the entire album before the ambient part. The last two minutes are an absolutely incredible conclusion to the album. If I had to show someone any song on this album to make them buy it, this would be the song that I would pick.

Conclusion:

To conclude, this album isn't bad. It does feature some of my favorite songs by the band thus far. My only problem, and being a musician myself it is a huge problem, is that this album does not evolve to its full potential. If this is your first Erra album, you will love it, but in the context of the rest of their music it could have been so much more. Most likely, in a few months I won't even remember or care that this album came out.

Rating independent of their other albums: 3.5
Rating in the context of their other albums: 2.5

itsalltherage (5)
Erra have managed to take their contrasting dual vocals, sprawling layered melodies & complex groove...

Deuce8311 (4.5)
The augmentation of an entire genre....

Wayne H. (4)
Erra prove they are perhaps the most genuinely inspired band in all of metalcore....

Esoteric (4)
Erra marked their crowning achievement through Augment by living up to its definition, in the most m...

October 28th 2013

"They had great musicianship, great vocal melodies, and great breakdowns."
"It has a great intro that explodes into a great verse"
"...considering I love both of those bands this makes a great plus"
not gonna neg but maybe expand your vocabulary

paradox1216
October 29th 2013

Yeah there's a lot of needless repetition in the review. Improve your diction and you'll be all the better for it.

I think this is different enough from Impulse. The key to evolution is to do it over time. I dont think its as dense or as good, but its definitely more mature and great in its own right

Digging: Save Us From The Archon - Thereafter

Winsomniac
October 29th 2013

Welp, I guess I have to review this now.

wacknizzle

11900 Comments

This probably is boring, I haven't gotten through more than 4 or 5 songs

Digging: Fall of Efrafa - Inle

Azn.
October 29th 2013

In my opinion, this is not a stand

:^)

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

:^)

botb
October 29th 2013

why do people jack off over this band so much they are painfully average

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

kidthatplaysguitar91

Digging: Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo

J0ckstrapsFTW

neg

"why do people jack off over this band so much they are painfully average"

the instrumentation is anything but average. try playing one of these songs on the guitar and youll have a seizure

s0 t3ch

MikeC26
October 29th 2013

yeah... i'd never want to play shit like this on guitar

TheSpirit
October 29th 2013

why do people assume that even when a band knows their way around their instruments, it still can't be average? i mean i haven't heard this, so i have no opinion on it but technical proficiency doesn't mean it still can't be mediocre as fuck.

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

climactic
October 29th 2013

its not even that technical its just djent with dweedly melodic leads

MikeC26
October 29th 2013

fuck man, look at Jack White. Dude plays nothing but the most rudimentary of shit but it still rules most of the time because it just has "it."

FearThyEvil9
October 29th 2013

Because people can't wrap their mind around the fact that talent doesn't mean anything when it comes down to the core music and songwriting. Like I say to everyone who makes that shitty argument, doesn't matter how much talent any of the members of the group are if the songs suck then I don't like it. Plain and simple and yet so many people still don't get it.

FearThyEvil9
October 29th 2013

Ramones and The Beatles are a great example too. Not extremely amazing with their instruments but the music they make is great.

October 29th 2013

"if yall think this is so average, what would be considered 'good' in the vein of music they play in"

nothing honestly

I really can't stand that dadadada da da da dada da da da drop z shit, it sounds like satan queefing to me

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

eldritchnovelty
October 30th 2013

Meshuggah, which none of these poser djentcore kids will ever come close to touching in terms of songwriting or creativity, ever, at any point in their lifetimes, no matter how hard they try. (in fact, it's because they try so fucking hard that they'll never be good)

Although Meshuggah doesn't abuse breakdowns to infinity and beyond so maybe they're not "in the vein of music" that this band plays in.

Also
kidthatplaysguitar91[2]
s0 t3ch [2]

October 30th 2013

ah yes, meshuggah, my favorite metalcore band