London Grammar
If You Wait

by VisionsFromTheDarkSide USER (21 Reviews)
October 28th, 2013 | 20 replies | 2,655 views

Release Date: 09/09/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Maybe I'm wasting my young years..."

The mainstream-hype-machine often produces so many clichéd and unoriginal artists and bands that one tends to lose faith in contemporary music as a whole. This year has seen acts such as Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke, Calvin Harris and Icona Pop (amongst many others) perhaps undeservedly take a lot of the limelight, blurring the lines between what is genuine talent and what is just a desperate attempt at reaching colossal levels of stardom. So it is no surprise that Nottingham-based band London Grammar have not quite matched their mainstream counterparts, commercially speaking.
Critically speaking though, their debut album ‘If You Wait’ has been a hit, and from the start, it is evident to see why this album is getting a substantial amount of hype. A unique album, at least within mainstream boundaries, London Grammar are best described as a concoction of the relaxed percussion of Portishead, the dark and brooding atmosphere of Lana Del Ray and the beautifully strong vocals of Florence and the Machine.

In fact, it is these vocals that perhaps make If You Wait what it is. Vocalist Hannah Reid laments about subjects such as past relationships, troubled teenage years, and perhaps trying to grow up too quickly. Although singing about such matters has become fairly standard, perhaps to the point of stagnation, Reid’s wide range and overall-strong vocals make such musings seem genuine. She makes sure the listener can feel her pain. She makes sure that the listener can empathise with her.
The lyrics themselves are very mature for a girl of such youth, and avoid being clichéd, despite the naturally clichéd nature of the subject itself. For example, from the song ‘Wasting My Young Years’:

“You crossed this line,
Do you find it hard to sit with me tonight?
I've walked these miles but I've walked 'em straight-lined,
You'll never know what was like to be fine…”
The lyrics seem to represent a young lady who is looking back with sorrow at a past-relationship, and such relateable and harrowing lamentations are dealt with in a mature and almost poetic manner.

Instrumentally, the album seems to draw inspiration from trip-hop acts such as Portishead and Massive Attack, which is perhaps most obviously seen in the song ‘Stay Awake’. Percussion is simple and relaxed, used to create a laid-back beat, while keyboards are used to create ethereal and often minimalistic soundscapes. Guitars and pianos are also used sparingly to add a dream-like atmosphere, and blend perfectly with Reid’s haunting vocals. The atmosphere can also tend to be dark and brooding, such as in the song ‘Hey Now’ (which, incidentally, happens to have one of Reid’s best vocal performances).
Perhaps a weak point of If You Wait is that it is not a solidly consistent album, tending to perhaps stray away from the quality shown in the first half of the album. In particular, songs such as ‘Metal and Dust’ and ‘Flickers’ almost scream ‘filler’ at the listener, and seem to ruin the momentum of the record. Without these tracks (and possibly a few others), this album could quite simply have been so much more concise and consistent.

Despite this though, If You Wait is beautiful in every sense of the word. Sonically ethereal, emotionally draining and lyrically harrowing, this young band brings something new to the table. Forget superficial and shallow lyrics about drugs, sex and partying. Forget a heavy overuse of synthesisers and excess amounts of bass drops. London Grammar are not about that. Instead, they have chosen to release a genuine and candid record in If You Wait, bringing a fresh approach to contemporary music in general, which should set them up for a long and illustrious career.

Sport Bon VoyageExarsis The Brutal State
Stonehelm StonehelmEyehategod In the Name of Suffering
Keaton Henson Dear...Caravels Floorboards

October 28th 2013

Fuck my laptop and its reluctance to make html codes work

Digging: Sport - Bon Voyage

Willie
October 28th 2013

This was good. Nothing too exciting, though.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

October 28th 2013

That's what I thought at first to be honest, but it has grown on me a lot

Brostep
October 28th 2013

ooh, will check. love their feature on disclosure's album

will read review soon but right off the bat that's a pretty massive quote considering the review is
only 5 short paragraphs long. might want to chop about half of it off

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

October 28th 2013

Thanks for the advice man, I'll look at it and decide what to do

AliW1993
October 28th 2013

Hmmm. These guys are being hyped to high heaven but I'm not really seeing the fuss to be honest. It's pleasant enough but I can't really see myself coming to enjoy it any more than that.

October 28th 2013

Yeah they certainly are but damn I love her voice

20250 Comments

have had Strong on repeat for two days

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

Malenchanted
October 28th 2013

chick was good on that Disclosure track. will check

DaveyBoy

20830 Comments

'If You Wait', the debut LP from English trio London Grammar, is a captivating album that stops you in your tracks. Predominantly down-tempo, the masterfully restrained sparse instrumentation is well-layered & has a knack for melody that not only enhances accessibility, but also replay value. This provides a fitting back-drop for the timeless, sophisticated & spine-tingling vocals of 23 year old Hannah Reid, whose range is as adept at tackling lows as it is highs. As cohesive as it is consistent, this engaging LP not only promises future greatness & influence, but is a tremendous listen itself. Recommended Tracks: Metal & Dust, Hey Now, Wasting My Young Years & Strong.

garth

I don't love her voice.
Their cover of Nightcall is amazing though.

StreetlightRock

Yeah I really like this. Gonna see 'em live next year, can't wait :D

Digging: Labyrinth Ear - The Orchid Room

brandontaylor
October 28th 2013

Singer has a fantastic voice, but the album overall bored me. Will listen a few more times though before I make my mind up on it.

RadicalEd
November 14th 2013

Sounds like the XX back when they didn't suck.

tommygun
November 25th 2013

sucks

RadicalEd
December 14th 2013

Strong is a very good song. But the album pales in comparison. Not bad. Not really good... 2.5 + Strong = 3.0. Singer is very talented.

December 19th 2013

20250 Comments

late night essay writing jams

December 29th 2013

really digging this lately

Emyay
February 26th 2014

title track sounds like adele or something. not really feeling this

Digging: Twelve Foot Ninja - Silent Machine

marcosmce
April 15th 2014

Just watched their live performance at KEXP and wow what a talent.
doesn't really matter that it sounds like adele or florence welch (it does only superficially), this girl brings something different to the table.
sweet review.