MellowHype
BLACKENEDWHITE

by Mark A. USER (47 Reviews)
October 28th, 2013 | 22 replies | 661 views

Review Summary: BLACKENEDWHITE is an album that boasts some incredibly strong tracks and is just unique enough to stand tall among their peers, while falling short as an album.

One of the best things about hip-hop is the absolute diversity that encompasses the genre. In a world full of ridiculous sub-subgenres, it is refreshing to have hip-hop apply to everyone from Illogic to Mac Miller. Instead of artists attempting to stay in their lane and being kept in a proverbial box, it frees them up to experiment with different sounds; it ultimately rewards the listeners with more varied releases and a more honest representation of the artist's vision. Enter MellowHype, a splinter group from the collective Odd Future Wolfgang Kill Them All (OFWGKTA), consisting of Hodgy Beats (rapper) and Left Brain (beats/production). The collective itself is known for gleefully obscene lyrics and childishly offensive antics, which naturally leads the listener's attention away from the actual music. In the case of BLACKENEDWHITE, this image is incredibly detrimental because the music is, well...good. The combination of Hodgy's adaptable flow and always interesting subject matter coupled with Left Brain's purely innovative beats create an album that stands tall on its own merits.

BLACKENEDWHITE is an interesting mix of off-kilter indie hip-hop beats and run-of-the-mill gangsta rap braggadocio, which gives it a somewhat uneven feeling. Uneven is the main theme throughout the album, which is disappointing considering the amount of talent that is present here. There are some songs in which everything seems to go right, such as "Loaded" featuring Mike G. Mike G's laid-back and smooth flow complements Hodgy's more personable delivery, and the synth-heavy beat is certainly the most fun you will have on this album. Frank Ocean's contribution to the chorus on "Hell" lifts it from a mediocre song to among the best on the album. MellowHype have certainly made good decisions on the guest appearances on BLACKENEDWHITE but the real travesty is the lack of cohesiveness. Hodgy's charm runs very thin once it becomes apparent that the lack of life experience also translates to tired lyrical themes being revisited time and time again. Drugs, girls, and money dominate the album and it becomes wearisome after listening through the album, especially given that the quality of the songs decrease as it progresses as well. The first six songs of this album point to an incredibly strong and varied album, but then the lazy drawl of "Right Here" hits, killing the momentum and excitement that had been built up thus far. The children's choir sample in "Loco" brings back the ingenuity of the beginning of the album, but the trend seems to be Hodgy and Left Brain phoning it in on the same songs; "Stripclub" is as vapid as it sounds, and "Chordaroy" fails to impress even with appearances from Earl Sweatshirt and Tyler, the Creator.

It is difficult to not to be disappointed with the entirety of BLACKENEDWHITE, as the potential displayed is much greater than what was actually delivered. As it stands, it is still an album that boasts some incredibly strong tracks and is just unique enough to stand tall among their peers. Songs like "Deaddeputy" and "Primo" quell the frustration of the weaker tracks, and at the very least point to a strong future for the duo. One can only hope that they ditch the strip club mentality and give their listeners a bit more substance the next time around.

Fireworks Oh, Common LifeRotten Sound Species At War
Pathology Throne of ReignMiss May I Rise of the Lion
Wolves Like Us Black Soul ChoirWovenwar Wovenwar
Sam Feldman's Rating (4.5)
Odd Future's dynamic duo release the hip-hop record of 2010....

October 28th 2013

Originally posted here: http://atomicskyreviews.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/mellowhype-blackenedwhite/

This grew off me so much.

October 28th 2013

Nice review. It took a while for this album to grow on me and then I just stopped listening to it. What did you think of Numbers?

October 28th 2013

And I actually really like Primo and Deaddeputy a lot haha.

guitarded_chuck
October 28th 2013

prob my favorite of release

loaded easily the best song agreed

October 28th 2013

I like the re release a lot, I just wish it had "Hell" on it.

chitownflip
October 28th 2013

This can kick numbers in the butt. Beats, lyrics, and flow were much better since they were hungry at the time

Digging: Graveyard Productions - The Havoc

October 28th 2013

I really like Numbers a lot though. They have the same feel except Numbers is catchier, it has better hooks and slicker production. I think people would like it more if it had like 4 or 5 tracks shaved off.

October 28th 2013

Thanks man. I liked it okay, there were some great songs on it, but it just wasn't very memorable. They just don't seem capable of writing a complete album, but I like them as a duo quite a bit.

October 28th 2013

And I love Deaddeputy and Primo, I meant that those make up for the weaker tracks haha. I think it may not read well there.

October 28th 2013

Yeah they're one of the more competent components of OF, that's a sure thing.

October 28th 2013

I agree, and I really enjoy their songs when Frank Ocean collaborates with them.

oltnabrick

high >>>>>>> hype

Digging: Ariana Grande - My Everything

EaglesBecomeVultures
October 28th 2013

haven't bumped this in a while, great month to change that

Digging: FKA twigs - LP1

climactic
October 28th 2013

hodgy is lame but this is ite, used to jam all the time

October 28th 2013

@thelastsignal ok I getcha haha I must have rushed through reading that part.

October 28th 2013

@oltna I haven't checked out MellowHigh yet, but I love the combo of Hodgy and Domo, Domo is consistently getting better for sure.

@Eagles it definitely is, it's got a slightly creepy, Halloween-esque feel to it.

Chesse
October 29th 2013

I wish OF was really good

EaglesBecomeVultures

this alb is really good

guitarded_chuck

yep

October 29th 2013

Mike G and Vince Staples are pretty great though.