Frederic Robinson
Mixed Signals

by Will Robinson STAFF
October 23rd, 2013 | 15 replies

Release Date: 10/14/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Near-unrivaled uptempo brilliance.

Frederic Robinson has made a name for himself in the drum & bass community for his skittering uptempo experimentation, and his debut full-length Mixed Signals sees the Swiss producer effortlessly continuing to carve out his own niche in the scene. Showing remarkable poise given his young age, Robinson’s symphonic instrumentation and percussive arpeggios fill out the frenetic breakbeats of the songs beautifully, and the result is a wonderfully fresh take on quicksilver DnB. Every thumping tribal bass drum and clicky rimshot is placed so that it complements the liquid brilliance of the string sections and the pitter-patter of the glockenspiels, and the whole experience lends itself to a gleaming, euphoric mood.

Nowhere is Robinson’s mastery more apparent than on standout track “Particles,” on which the producer ditches the genre-standard weighty on-beat snare in favor of a more off-kilter and minimalist drum hit which immediately finds itself surrounded by sweeping, echoing piano chords and dizzying cymbal taps. Indeed, the only thing tethering the song to the realm of drum & bass is the menacing bassline, which fits into the woozy instrumental backdrop like a puzzle piece. Elsewhere, the subdued downtempo gem “Mixed Signals” plays Robinson’s hand straighter, with a spunky, seemingly improvisational lead synth superimposed over watery low-end jazz chords while quasi-garage drums clink blithely along behind.

It’s the wandering, whimsical opener “Theme Park,” though, that best exemplifies exactly what makes Robinson such an alluring composer. The playful half-time beat frolicks along, cheekily throwing in drum fill and cut-out on a whim, while a breathy baritone scats along with a steel drum line before the piece bursts into bloom with Eastern-tinged strings floridly expanding to enormous size. It’s the epitome of the LP, really: a wide-eyed, innocent sound, taking unsteady and life-changing steps into the world of music. Frederic Robinson has accomplished in such a short time what many producers can only dream of: a shockingly articulate album which exudes both weight and levity, and Mixed Signals is a wonderful way to start a career.

Ariana Grande My EverythingRustie Green Language
The Bug Angels and DevilsVenetian Snares My Love Is A Bulldozer
Seven Lions Worlds ApartBig Freedia Just Be Free
3.3

October 23rd 2013

Originally submitted to XLR8R a week ago (again), got rejected (again), so here it is. Cannot get over
how fucking good this thing is.

Particles: https://soundcloud.com/fredericrobinson/particles

Bloom: https://soundcloud.com/fredericrobinson/frederic-robinson-stray-bloom

Also, can a mod fix the release date? I put in edits for it but if they didn't go through it's October
14, 2013. Thanks in advance!

October 23rd 2013

well this just turned into a fantastic thread

joshuahuntkc
October 23rd 2013

sweet review. I don't listen to much electronic but I might have to check this. It sounds promising.

October 23rd 2013

definitely. check the songs i listed and see what you think

joshuahuntkc
October 23rd 2013

Wow, the intro on particles had me hooked and then when It got into the meat of things I was really impressed.

Deviant.

Album is weak as balls

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

Blatantly false but ok

gosk8n
October 24th 2013

seems like something i would be into. nice review (yes that rhymed)

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

October 24th 2013

yeah I can't recommend this album enough. listen to the two songs I posted.

on an unrelated note have you checked Machinedrum's new album yet? it just clicked for me and now I can't get enough

Deviant.
October 25th 2013

Blatantly false but ok

One person's opinion can't be false but ok

D41V30N
October 28th 2013

somebody feature this in the home page

this is too fuckin' gooooood

gosk8n
October 29th 2013

machinedrum album is pretty sweet

October 29th 2013

Yeah, got it on vinyl and I'm loving it

unfoldingdrama
November 16th 2013

Can't really get in to this. Not sure what the fuss is about.

ProjectFreak
November 20th 2013

yesss this finally hit spotify, jamming now
i absolutely love Theme Park already