Bad Religion
The Empire Strikes First

by brycey USER (19 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 30 replies

Jay Bentley Bass, Backing vocals
Brian Baker Guitar, Backing vocals
Greg Hetson Guitar
Brooks Wackerman - Drums

Bad Religion are back, and have produced a hard-hitting album, entitled "The Empire Strikes First"?. It may not be the best name for an album, in my opinion, but don’t judge a book by a cover as they say. This is a GREAT album. I first heard songs from it when I saw Bad Religion back in May. They had "Overture"? on loop for 10 minutes before they came on (no exaggeration there) and played "Sinister Rouge"? and "The Empire Strikes First"?. It was hearing "Sinister Rouge"? mainly that made me crave this album.

The album opens up with a frankly cool drumbeat, and then at the end, blasts into "Sinister Rouge"? with fast-paced guitars, thumping drums and "Ahhhh"?s from Jay, Brett and Brian. Soon after, a song that begins with a similar sound as "Ten In 2010"? begins, and this is another trademark Bad Religion song, with a true recognizable BR sound.

The album is full of songs that the second you press play on your CD player, you’ll instantly know it’s a Bad Religion song. They have experimented on one or two songs, "Athiest Priest"? for the bridge, and "Beyond Electric Dreams"?. This doesn’t bring down the quality of this album, that we have waited two years for. It shows that the two years have been worth it.

There are countless solos on the album, which is more than Metallica can say, after their fans had to wait 5 years for an album (that doesn’t include their "S&M"? album.) and were presented with nothing exactly spectacular. The drumming in this album fits in really well with the songs. The drumming doesn’t consist of one beat throughout the song. Brooks mixes it up, and adds random fills here and there. The basslines are standard, as they always have been. This in no way means the songs are bad. If you think about it, the lack of technicality in Jay’s basslines fit in with BR songs. If you placed a Matt Freeman-style bassline in there, I’ll be honest and say it wouldn’t sound like as good.

What about the vocals? Well, what can I say? Greg has an outstanding voice. I am a big fan of his singing. The backing-vocals are also those that add a little something more to the songs.

It’s safe to say, that with Greg’s voice, Brooks’ drumming skill, the quality of the guitars from Brian, Greg H and Brett and also the basslines from Jay, that you are left with a classic punk band. One that shall still be around for years to come.

Recommended Tracks:
Sinister Rouge
Social Suicide
God’s Love
Boot Stamping On A Human Face Forever
Los Angeles Is Burning

This is an impressive album, as Bad Religion continue to show they are capable to write catchy songs, as well as sell-out venues across the globe. This album easily gets a 5/5.

On a side note, I can’t believe NO Bad Religion albums have been reviewed before. Quite shocking really.

Avril Lavigne Under My SkinThe Cure Greatest Hits
The Vandals Look What I Almost Stepped InThe Vandals Hitler Bad, Vandals Good
Less Than Jake B Is For B-sidesRancid Life Won't Wait
Ben Jimenez (4.5)
Still creating music on the foundation of anti-establishment politics and progressive social views, ...

xfragiletimex (5)

Scarred4Life
June 9th 2004

Nice, Id also recommend Let the Eat War. good review, bad religion r0x my b0x0rs.

Sep
June 10th 2004

I've heard some Bad Religion and never really liked them. But I'll check out some of these songs.

Great review :thumb:

FillInTheBlankHere___
June 10th 2004

My friend made me a copy, I've been listening to it at school. I can't give my full attention at school though, so I'm holding off before forming any opinions. Sinister Rouge is a WICKED song though.

Drop The Baby
June 11th 2004

Yeah this is a really good CD- Brycey picked out the best songs, good review

meeeeeeeeeeeeee (returned)
June 12th 2004

cool, yeah Im thinking of rushing out and buying a copy of this album, are there any more experimental songs such as 'epiphany' or 'the defense'?, I think the occasional slightly differant song is cool

meeeeeeeeeeeeee (returned)
June 12th 2004

well I just whent and bought it, it farking rocks!, its starts off awesome, some songs toward the end are still good, but a bit slower and less rockin, but all in all its an awesome CD. Has anyone noticed the reference to 1984 by George Orwell, the booklet has a picture of a TV with 'two minutes of hate' written on it, two minutes of hate if from that book and the song 'a boot stamping on a human face forever' is a quote from George Orwell, oh well. Sinister Rougue is cool, I like "let the eat war"

June 12th 2004

^^Cool, i love that book. I have a craving for this cd after hearing a f ew songs,and this review.

SkaTastic54

4/5 not the best Bad Religion Album

brycey
June 13th 2004

I've been informed that the first single from the album shall be "Los Angeles Is Burning".

brycey
June 19th 2004

It's not that poppy. Infact, I don't think it is at all.

FillInTheBlankHere___
June 19th 2004

[QUOTE=Joel_DK_Clash]I just heard "Let Them Eat War" on CBC(Canadian Radio Station) Radio. That made my day,somehow. Its a very poppy song.[/QUOTE]

CBC One or Two? When do they have a program that plays Bad Religion? I've never heard much like that on CBC.

June 20th 2004

i have no idea which cbc, it was one of those underground music and stuff shows, the guy talked about the band for a few seconds after. i was just in my kitchen making kraft dinner, when i heard what i thought to be greg gaffins vocals come from the other room, so i went in and it was.

lpsoxfan88
July 27th 2004

Great Cd.

fillmaker
July 27th 2004

ive only downloaded a few songs from it but i can say the cd sounds good already.

murderking
August 21st 2004

Gregs Vocals Sounds much better in this one, than the other albums

J_McMeaty
August 22nd 2004

damn good cd, ive listened to it about 7 times tiday while writing a biology report :thumb:

theclash91
August 23rd 2004

sinister rouge is a great song along with social suicide
pretty good review

buzxgreenday19
August 23rd 2004

I love this album 4.5/5 stars. Alot of people favirte song is Sinister Rouge, but the first song I heard of the album was of the 2004 Warped Tour Compilation, God's Love, and I think that is the best song.

chucknorris930
August 23rd 2004

This really isn't a great Bad Religion album, I fell The Process of Belief is better because it wasn't a Bush-bashing album. I agree, let's vote that dummy out, but don't jeporadize great music with the same type of lyrics in every song. 3.5/5.