I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism...
iwrotehaikusaboutcannibalisminyour...

by pixie Jacob esque qt USER (33 Reviews)
October 18th, 2013 | 79 replies

Review Summary: This is the sound of growth and triumph.

It is hard to describe exactly what you're hearing when you're listening to this band. At its core, this album is simply an emotional mess with abrasive shrieks that are almost too much to take, and sloppy guitar playing and drumming. As you look inside this album, though, you will find so much more.

The album starts out with an extremely strange three minute instrumental piece, that is simply just guitars being played in such a way that it envelops me and sends me into a trance, this album truly has one of the greatest intro pieces to any screamo album ever. From there you hear one of the band members let out a high-pitched screech, very similar to the break before everything gets crazy in the song by The Kodan Armada titled No Has Never Had Three Letters. Much like that song, after the shriek the drums are wailed on and the madness ensues with vocals that are so expressive they are almost unbearable.

The albums follows suit with the same formula, pouring out emotions of love, heartbreak, sadness, anger, and indescribable feelings all the while retaining I Wrote Haikus' use of tremolo riffs, energetic drumming, and passionate vocals. I Wrote Haikus' show that they can pull off post-rock with their song Untitled 9, in which they repeat the line "Surviving a broken heart is hard, but once you do survive you realize you were stronger than you ever knew." The lyrics on this album are hyper-emotional describing desperate love and horrible loss, with all songs containing an explanation in the sheet that comes with the album, showing that I Wrote Haikus is all about how they feel, and how we feel as human beings.

It's very hard to put my feelings about this album into words. I find it infinitely relatable, depressing, and uplifting all at the same time. I highly recommend this to any fan of screamo, or emotional and artistic music in general. I would certainly say this is an underrated gem for anyone looking for true emotion in their music.

Usurp Synapse/Hassan I Sabbah Just Do It!Hit the Pigeon Boy! It's a Pretty Dark Place to Leave a Piece of Light
Julia Brown An Abundance of StrawberriesElvis Depressedly mickey's dead
Alex G DSUFlower Face Homesick
speedkills1995 (5)
"The music is feelings, and the lyrics are thinking too much and out loud."...

October 18th 2013

I haven't wrote a review in over 2 months. This probably sucks, I was too lazy to proofread. I plan on writing five 5/5 reviews before I quit reviewing all together, this being the first of the five. Really really love this album.

Digging: Jordaan Mason - The Decline of Stupid Fucking Western Civilization

minnashine

emotion !

Chesse

Sweet album sweet review

October 18th 2013

Yeah I say emotion way too much but it's the best word I can think of to describe this

Pheromone
October 18th 2013

The band name is so shit.

Digging: Jeremy Enigk - Return of the Frog Queen

ShitsofRain
October 18th 2013

it's the best name ever after TWIABPAIANLATD

Kman418
October 18th 2013

this album is kinda cool

Digging: Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles

sniper

19080 Comments

bands music was dreamy as fuck

so good

The riff in Untitled 11 is soooo good

SO MUCH STRONGER THAN YOU EVER KNEW

Adabelle
November 26th 2013

I don't quite dig this how you do but can at least respect that you've given a screamo album 5/5, yeaaaaaaaaaah

Yeaaaaaahhhh

November 29th 2013

HOLD ME TO YOUR CHEST

Damn I'm considering re-5ing this, Untitled 9-12 are perfect

Pheromone

5 thee silvers new album instead

December 30th 2013

I still need to check it bro

fromtheinside

19138 Comments

dat name

Digging: Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory

Lotus
February 8th 2014

quite possibly the best band name ever

Lotus
February 8th 2014

quite possibly the best album ever too