Oranssi Pazuzu
Valonielu

by Adam Thomas STAFF
October 15th, 2013 | 37 replies | 7,480 views

Release Date: 10/15/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Oranssi Pazuzu progress in strides while still holding on to the artful anger that personifies the genre

Space rock and black metal in theory make for strange bedfellows, but -- aesthetics aside – their commonalities are more than you'd think. Hear me out, I know, I know. While the bleak minimalism and somewhat bestial nature of black metal flies in the face of the effect driven wankery and massive tonal walls of space rock, both are at thrive off of the same open ended and indifferent atmosphere, as deep within their respective walls of reverb is an echoing emptiness. Sure, on one side it's an internal reflection of nihilism and on the other it's an outward and nerdy celebration of science fiction as sound, but if the recent upsurge in outside layered influences in atmospheric black metal, or the last decade of Enslaved's career, have taught us anything, it's that sometimes such contrasting art forms can come together in the most surprising of ways. To prove this, all one has to do is listen to Oranssi Pazuzu. The Finnish black-progsters combine the ethereal metaphysical bleakness of black metal with the lonely yet stunning vastness of the heavens in such a way that it feels as if they are one and the same.

Velonielu is a constantly evolving and ever complex listen. It's raw and unforgiving production melds gracefully with haunting synth flourishes that shift and recollect in stunning cacophony that is just as personal as it is otherworldly. Since the band keeps its atmospheric focus with its electronics, the guitar work found on the record acts as a contrasting rhythm section to the drums. It's a hypnotic web of syncopated madness. This manifests instantly in opener “Vino Verso” as the rhythmic interplay between the two instruments acts not only as a framework for sonic experimentation, but also as a powerful drone that anchors the space like atmosphere back down to Earth. That's not to say that all of the haze and beauty on Velonielu rests solely in the synthesizers. The soft/loud dynamics and built upon a series of creeping interludes that recall the cascading delay of Cave-In's Jupiter, albeit in a reworked, more solemn display.

Velonielu is an absolutely stunning achievement. At a time when more and more direct outside influences are leaving their mark on black metal as a whole, Oranssi Pazuzu progress in strides while still holding on to the artful anger that personifies the genre.

The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena
Comeback Kid Die KnowingSlough Feg Digital Resistance

CK
October 15th 2013

Was just checking this out on bandcamp

Omaha

love that artwork.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

TheSpirit
October 15th 2013

their last album was truly terrible so i dont think ill be checking this out

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

October 15th 2013

you should check this out. as a musician, what they are able to do pull off rhythmically within the confines of 4/4 is something i think you'd get a kick out of.

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

October 15th 2013

I liked their last record.

Omaha
October 15th 2013

First song is very interesting for sure. While this is definitely an enjoyable listen, I can't help but think I'd enjoy this more in a live setting.

October 15th 2013

Great review. What I heard from their last album sounded bland but I kinda dug the samples of this I've heard so far.

MeatSalad
October 15th 2013

sounds like this would be awesome, i'll check it out

PunchforPunch
October 15th 2013

already finished my first listen and its pretty impressive.

Digging: Vril - Torus

Evreaia
October 16th 2013

Heard one song of this a while ago, gotta check

Digging: Plebeian Grandstand - Lowgazers

Incisionistic
October 16th 2013

Yeah.

dsroka005
October 17th 2013

thought this was really good first listen but i was really in the mood for it.. gotta listen again

JasonCarne
October 17th 2013

Eh, this was pretty awful. The idea sounds good in theory but it just doesn't play out well.

leycec
October 20th 2013

I must dissent, good sirs.

The sound of black metal to come... has never sounded quite like this. Swept under gravitative tides of psych-heavy drone and feedback-backed synthesizer spray, "Valonielu" belays the recent decay in black metal. It hasn't all been done, folks. Something genuinely new this way comes. Swallow the backwash of the recently bestoned. Swallow!

A resounding leap forward for these tryptonautical Fins.

RadicalEd

great review.

dsroka005

why are people trolling 1's and 2's? this was a solid album

MosesMalone
October 21st 2013

Shit's pretty killer thus far. I like their previous albums but they kinda sit stale. This is epic.

JasonCarne
October 22nd 2013

Definitely not trolling, I just didn't like it. Psychedelic black metal sounds like it could be an awesome melding of styles but it just didn't connect for me whatsoever.

October 22nd 2013

To each their own

gbowles
October 24th 2013

Great fucking album... this, new gorguts, and vista chino all 4.5s.