Ra
Critical Mass

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
October 12th, 2013 | 62 replies | 6,877 views

Release Date: 10/14/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fans of hard rock/nu-metal rejoice!

Ra’s fourth album is both surprising and unsurprising in its direction. On one hand it harkens back to the heavier, darker days of From One, but on the other hand it’s plentiful with easy-on-the-ears radio tunes. It’s somewhat of a mixed bag like Duality, but heck, it’s all good music. As is Ra tradition, expect catchy tunes with gorgeous melodies, a healthy dose of spankin’ guitars, and one of the best vocalists in the hard rock/nu-metal genre. Critical Mass lives true to its name, and is the pinnacle in its genre, with a seamless combination of nu-metal angst/aggression and accessibility. You’ll find plenty of variation in this album, yet it feels incredibly balanced, combining old and new as they’re meant to be together. Critical Mass is classic Ra through and through, and that is indeed a good thing.

Using an arsenal of Middle Eastern instruments, Ra brings to mind bands like Myrath and The Tea Party (both fantastic bands), but manages to have their own voice. Expect loads of songs in the style of their most popular and fantastic song ‘Do You Call My Name’, highlights being ‘Brutiful’, ‘It’s All Over Now’, ‘Running Blind’, and ‘The Voice Inside My Head’. While Arabic melodies have always been a standout feature of the band, Ra goes the extra mile this time to remind us that they’re the ancient Egyptian god in music form; no exaggeration, this album rules after all. The voice of Sahaj Ticotin, the lead singer, also makes Critical Mass a unique and stunning affair - just check out ‘It’s All Over Now’, which includes one of his best vocal performances since ‘Violator’ (he even beatboxes in the song, I shit you not). It’s sufficient to say that the album is quite creative.

It only takes a couple of listens, and before you know it you’ll be blasting this in the car, and singing along ‘cause you have all the lyrics memorized. It is definitely Ra’s easiest album to get into, but make no mistake, this album will rock your face off. Included in the album are some of Ra’s most aggressive songs. While Black Sun was fairly relaxed, Critical Mass simply explodes, and it doesn’t stop exploding until the end of the album. Fans of Ra and hard rock/nu-metal rejoice, but for everyone else Critical Mass is still incredibly fun, and goes in the history books as one of Ra’s best albums.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackGemini Syndrome Lux
Sirenia Perils of the Deep BlueRainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2
Part Myth Part Legend Almagest CodexImmoralist Widow

Album stream: http://loudwire.com/ra-critical-mass-exclusive-album-stream/

210 reviews? wtf. Sup guys?

listening now

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

MO
October 12th 2013

nice review mechanizedpizza. good to see you still kickin' around

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

Acanthus
October 12th 2013

Cool to have you back, October is a good month for great new music.

Digging: The Cure - The Head on the Door

October 12th 2013

Yeah I'm still around, I'm more of a ghost now but whatever. You gonna check this out Acanthus? ;)

October 12th 2013

great review, man. been waiting for one for this album. ive been listening to the closer alot the past couple of days

Tyrael

20795 Comments

hmmmm

will check

October 12th 2013

solid! i can hear why they view this as the spiritual successor to "From One"

October 12th 2013

@tyreal - if you havent already, you should also give their first album a listen. a

Acanthus
October 12th 2013

@Pizza - Might, have around ten albums or so I've been trying to get through lately and they just seem to keep piling up.

EvoHavok
October 12th 2013

"Anything U Want" irked me at first listen, but it kinda grew on me. It's so radio friendly, but too bad no station will actually play it.

October 12th 2013

agreed. it starts of kinda WTFish, but gets better

October 12th 2013

good to see you're still alive and kickin', pizza

October 12th 2013

"Anything U Want" is a good song but it's just so different for them. I honestly dont know how i feel about it. The closer is pretty awesome. My favorite is probably "Voice Inside My Head".

tiesthatbind

Nice job, pizza.

I think my favorite is also Voice Inside My Head, such a killer chorus.

Toondude10
October 12th 2013

Only time I heard about these guys was that one Crossfade song that the singer was in. Just might check this out.

Digging: Breaking Benjamin - Phobia

Glad y'all dig this!

Toondude10
October 12th 2013

Man that first track was great

Hopefully I can finish this later

Departures
October 12th 2013

Great album but nowhere near 4.5/5-worthy.

tiesthatbind
October 12th 2013

It's hit and miss for me but still pretty solid overall. Probably their second best album, just ahead of Duality.