Dance Gavin Dance
Acceptance Speech

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (90 Reviews)
October 10th, 2013 | 110 replies

Release Date: 10/08/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dance Gavin Dance trade in their old macbook for a nice PC, but unfortunately they use it to commit the audio equivalent of deleting system 32.

Modern post-hardcore bands place way too much emphasis on vocals, and a lot of fans seem to be perfectly content with this. Whenever I peruse the comments section on Sputnik, or Youtube, or Facebook for a band like Dance Gavin Dance, almost every single comment is along the lines of: "Johnny Craig this," or "Kurt that," or "Tillian blah blah blah," and it all confuses me because I've always listened to Dance Gavin Dance for the endearing guitar parts. Downtown Battle Mountain and the self titled album had so many incredible guitar section that were complimented by great vocals. Since the vocals weren't the main focus 100% of the time, they were allowed to adequately flourish over equally impressive instrumentation. This is no longer the case with Dance Gavin Dance's 5th studio album Acceptance Speech, where the guitar is blander than ever, and freshman vocalist Tillian Pearson is forced to carry the load himself with mixed results.

Tillian brings some nice vocal melodies to the table, but his thin and very high voice is not suited for complete domination in the mix. He's kind of like a quarterback who's lost his weapons. He has no receivers to throw to, as the guitar is uninspired and bland, and he can hardly hand it off with confidence to his formally trusty running back Jon Mess who seems to have phoned it in as well, replacing his clever lyrics and unique vocal style with a performance that sounds like it could be on any other average post-hardcore record. All football metaphors aside, Acceptance Speech comes with a set of good moments (mostly from the first three tracks and last three tracks) offset by truly cringeworthy moments like the bro chant of "Make this motherfuckerer golden" from Death of The Robot With Human Hair, and the out of nowhere and thankfully brief rap at the end of the title track. Put all this together with the remaining tracks which range from being forgettably average, to almost but not quite good, and you get Acceptance Speech, and album that is equal parts uninspired, pedestrian, and worst of all, majorly disappointing.

Tiny Moving Parts Pleasant LivingPrawn Kingfisher
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) You Will Eventually Be ForgottenKyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika Fantajin
Brave Bird T-Minus Grand GestureOld Gray/Tiny Moving Parts Split

aaaaaand writer's block broken

Deviant.

omg dat summary

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

October 9th 2013

Tillians voice may have been a little loud in the mix, but if you're going to judge an album solely on the mix, you might want to have something more solid to say.
mix aside, those guitar parts you said you loved so much from old DGD, are still there, in fact being a guitarist, i'd have to say they went much harder on these songs. and just because YOU have to struggle to hear them over the vocals, doesn't mean they're not there. also, quit the football references. they make no sense.

minnashine

that's me name

October 9th 2013

Why is every new release this year a 2.5 or 3 goddamn I think I may have developed some standards

SnakeDelilah

SotY

Digging: Sun Kil Moon - Benji

Calc
October 9th 2013

I aspire to write to your calibur.

Digging: Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

October 9th 2013

"maybe if you didn't judge the mixes so much, and could focus on the music as a whole, you'd find it more enjoyable. just a guess. what about punk records? or records with purposefully bad production? "

fuckin I wouldn't care about the mix if the songs were great, but the songs are boring and I drift off and start to notice the mix.

tommygun
October 9th 2013

review could do with some more gridiron references

October 9th 2013

I've referenced football in several pieces lately

I should just become a writer for ESPN

NothingForSomething
October 9th 2013

The summary/wall of text is too much for me.

breadstick

treeqt.

LMAO 아이유 빌어 먹을 창녀입니다~!!

October 9th 2013

"The summary/wall of text is too much for me."

wtf it's not even that big of a paragraph

October 9th 2013

"psure will swan said the riffs on this album were the most difficult of any of the other albums"

difficult don't mean good

you guys know this is all my opinion right?

treeqt.