A Day to Remember
Common Courtesy

by Daniel Davis USER (34 Reviews)
October 8th, 2013 | 131 replies

Release Date: 10/08/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: ATDR still haven't completely abandoned their gimmicky past, but at least they've embraced it and turned it into something worthwhile.

A Day To Remember have always been a mixed bag; their admittedly powerful songwriting powers in the pop punk realm have been counterbalanced by their insistence on including gimmicky sub-par hardcore elements. These have been downplayed as their career has progressed, to the point where one would expect them to be dropped almost completely given their current status as one of the most popular bands of their kind in the world. Common Courtesy, the band’s long-awaited, long-delayed fifth studio album, sees almost the opposite ring true – rather, the heavy parts have become heavier, and the pop punk parts have become…pop punkier. Regardless, the two are married better here than anywhere in their discography, and the result is a diverse and entertaining listen.

Perhaps the reason the combination seems to work so well is that the elements are more separate than ever before – lead single “Violence” is a straight up metalcore piece, displaying more intricate guitar work than one would normally expect from ADTR, while album openers “City of Ocala” and “Right Back At It Again” are some of the purest pop punk the group has ever dabbled in, complete with cheesy lyrics about not giving up and remembering your teenage past. Even the areas where the two overlap feel more cohesive – “Dead & Buried” saves the breakdowns for where they belong and doesn’t scatter them all over the song. There are some interesting flourishes as well, such as the bridge riff in “Sometimes You’re The Hammer…” that show how the band has grown into creating layered constructions as opposed to throwing some breakdowns into an otherwise great pop punk song. It’s still not perfect, but it’s certainly not jarring as it was in the past, and the heavy parts don’t feel interchangeable.

It’s obvious Jeremy McKinnon has grown a lot as a vocalist – although his methods of crafting melodies and lyrics seem largely the same, here he sounds clearer and less whiny, and his screams have grown from froggy embarrassments to slightly more respectable hardcore growling. Guitars have gotten better too – there’s nothing technical here, but everything from chord voicing to the background leads seems denser and more thought out, and are interesting in their own right as opposed to just being a compliment to the vocals.

All of this is accentuated by the superb production, which compliments the new sense of layering by wisely placing the vocals more equally in the mix. Little details one would expect from a major rock release are present here, like the pianos at the end of "I Surrender", that give the songs the added punch they need, and the heavy elements have never sounded bigger.

Common Courtesy is one of those albums that instantly transports you back to your inner 15-year-old self, with its cliché but well delivered lyrics and youthful concepts about just about everything. Like your 15-year-old self, it may be covered in pimples, but its heart is in the right place and it’s certainly taking steps to improve its social skills. So taking it out on a date might not be such a bad idea after all.

Death From Above 1979 The Physical WorldPolyphia Muse
Secret Band Secret BandBraid No Coast
Monuments The AmanuensisSay Anything Hebrews

October 8th 2013

Didn't mention the lawsuit because to me, that shouldn't affect anyone's opinion of an album if you can help it.

I actually did expect this to be good after hearing Violence, but expecting it is one thing, hearing it is another.

Digging: Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World

October 8th 2013

Did not like this, but yeah I surrender is pretty good, the rest is kinda iffy but the review is nice

October 8th 2013

Very nice review im listening now, very accurate depiction of the album. Have a pos'

October 8th 2013

Might right a negative review on this, dont know how that will turn out

andcas we all know you're still 15 don't lie

October 8th 2013

Holy shit, Andcas, your 25?

October 8th 2013

Don't really get what's so great about this, the metalcore parts are soo bland.

October 8th 2013

I've always felt that ADTR does breakdowns better than most bands in this scene, simply because they understand that the notes you don't play are just as important as the ones you do. They have swing to them. They feel important.

October 8th 2013

That voicemail isn't particularly over the top, which actually makes it more menacing, because bands do the fake voice mail from their label thing all the time, and this being more realistic is actually creepier

October 8th 2013

This is why I typically don't like the whole pop metalcore scene, I see what you mean, but jeez the drums play the same blast beats constantly and the guitar parts (even though they are definetly a step up) seem simpler then they appear. I may bump this up to a 2.5 though, just because I do like some of the pop elements a bit.

TooManyFriends
October 8th 2013

there's no blast beats on this album wtf

climactic

19122 Comments

1 song has almost-blastbeats

Digging: Bolzer - Soma

October 8th 2013

oh yeah, that's what I meant to say, I didn't word that well haha. it comes off creepier because it's not him just cursing and getting mad, it's a real threat

deathofasalesman
October 8th 2013

Okay the "Fuck yeah!" at the beginning makes me cringe, but so far I dig the sound of this. Hits me in the guilty pleasure part of my brain.

October 8th 2013

my bad, lol I meant all the typical double bass drumming, it came out wrong, but yeah Ill push it up to a 2.5, first half is decent but idk about the 2nd half.

October 8th 2013

This is a fantastic record, and I really wasnt expecting it. Good for them!

October 8th 2013

Dude that voicemail is redic.

SlMBOLlC

im feeling a strong 3 with this one

Wogger your avatar

it's the best

October 8th 2013

Hey thanks man thought no one here watched that shit.