Soulfly
Savages

by Robert Davis CONTRIBUTOR (127 Reviews)
October 4th, 2013 | 22 replies | 5,029 views

Release Date: 10/09/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Soulfly sound even more savage here than ever before.

There is a mere difference of eighteen months between Soulfly’s previous album, Enslaved, and their latest, Savages. Whilst this may cause many to believe that Cavalera and co. are rushing themselves far too much, it does appear that there have been quite a few changes in the last year or so. For one thing, Cavalera has recruited none other than one of his own sons, Zyon (who drums for Lody Kong), and from the heavy opening grooves of “Bloodshed” you’ll notice his distinctive musical talent straight away. Forget the fact that Cavalera’s one-time legendary band, Sepultura, also have a new album coming out pretty soon, since Savages is certainly one of Soulfly’s most accomplished and brutal outputs to date.

With virtually every track living up to the album’s title, Soulfly’s latest very rarely lets up on aggression, brutality and most importantly grooves. Both “Cannibal holocaust” and “Fallen” are so consistently heavy that you may need to check your stereo/laptop for excessive damage, and the ludicrously named “Ayatollah of Rock ‘n’ Rolla” (Featuring none other than Clutch frontman Neil Fallon) breeds contempt with every passing minute. The former songs hark back to Sepultura’s glory days, short but sweet bursts of thrash metal grinding along to Cavalera’s monstrous roars, the latter a slower burning, more restrained eye-opener, making way for a style of distinctive heaviness and pummelling groove. Zyon shows off his chops at many intervals throughout Savages, particularly on the semi title track “Master of savagery”, which bursts into acts of aural violence, and most prominently on the more tribal influenced “El Comegente”, sung entirely in Portugese and would certainly be the perfect musical accompaniment to a tour through the darkest, most “savage” ridden areas of the natural world.

The instrumentation on Savages is, as always with Soulfly, very prominent. Guitar work focuses sometimes on heaviness and groove, as on “Spiral” and “This is violence”, other times on slower, more forceful sounds (“Master of savagery” will have your head banging slowly but surely) but most of the time keeping up with Zyon’s fairly straightforward albeit well-executed drum rhythms, and thus the whole thing sounds ideal for a fan of Soulfly’s previous three albums. Various guest vocalists have been recruited, most interestingly Mitch Harris of Napalm Death, whose gut-wrenching screams always prove divisive amongst fans of extreme metal and his vocal style fused with Cavalera on an otherwise simplistic “K.C.S” gives rather mixed results. Neil Fallon of Clutch proves a more pleasant surprise. For one thing his calm, narrative approach to the beginning of “Ayatollah of Rock’ n’ Rolla” gives Savages quite an interesting twist, yet later on in the track he really brings out the rawer side of his own vocal style, sounding at times like his throat has been cut with the sharpest shards of glass.

All this is probably nothing new to a fan of Soulfly, given that the band have been trying to become heavier and groovier with each consecutive release, but you could do a lot, lot worse than be introduced to Max Cavalera’s work via the “savagery” of Savages. There isn't any disappointment here. This is simply another solid output from Soulfly’s, and indeed Cavalera’s collaborative musical talent, and the replay value here is quite a lot to say the least. Savages is a beast, and perhaps one of the better releases of late 2013.

The Wounded Kings ConsolamentumSavage Messiah The Fateful Dark
De La Tierra De La TierraKampfar Djevelmakt
Conan Blood EagleButcher Babies Goliath
Tunaboy45 (4.5)
On this album Soulfly are firing on all cylinders and yet I believe the best is to come....

battleinthenorth (4.5)
Arguably the strongest work from this band, setting the metal scene alight with some brutal vocal wo...

October 4th 2013

Full album stream: http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/exclusive-hear-the-new-soulfly-album/

Not quite sure if everyone can hear the album from the link above, given that it's Metal Hammer UK.

Review posted originally here: http://meltingalbumreviews.com/2013/10/04/soulfly-savages/

Wizard
October 4th 2013

Have this album sitting on my computer right now. Do I dare hit play?

Good review dude. You should touch on how horrid Max's lyrics are. I don't even need to listen to this to tell you he will make me laugh.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Sciroccu
October 4th 2013

good review, I hope this album is as good as what u said...

Digging: Black Label Society - Catacombs of the Black Vatican

Malenchanted

Album is sweet

October 4th 2013

"You should touch on how horrid Max's lyrics are. I don't even need to listen to this to tell you he will make me laugh."

I genuinely don't think his vocals are that bad. Sure, they're not as convincing as they were twenty-plus years ago, but there's life in the old dog yet.

omgraptors

dark ages + omen = savages

pretty neat
i'm so glad they made up for that terribad album enslaved
this is almost like an apology cause it comes only 1 year after

fish.

20200 Comments

his lyrics though

This is one of those bands which seem to be constantly dishing out just-about-decent but pretty generic and forgettable music

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

October 4th 2013

I actually prefer Soulfly's latter material (as in 'Dark ages' and up) but I guess they are pretty divisive nowadays.

meeero
October 4th 2013

One of the best albums this year for me hope you all will enjoy it like i did. best songs for me are Spiral, Ayatollah of rocknrolla and El comegente

Rastapunk
October 4th 2013

Ayatollah has such a cool riff :D

October 4th 2013

Pretty fun stuff here. But the guest vocals on KCS are so damn bad.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

Emim
October 4th 2013

I think that last thing I listened to from them was Omen once when it came out.

October 4th 2013

"Pretty fun stuff here. But the guest vocals on KCS are so damn bad."

Yeah I guess Mitch Harris isn't the best choice (his screams don't flow well with cavalera's roars) but initially I thought he was a fitting guest vocalist. I was actually surprised that Fallon would be guest on a Soulfly album, but the surprise turned out to be pleasant.

piroga84

hey good review
you got me
want to hear it now

Tunaboy45
October 5th 2013

Fantastic review. Pos.
Can't understand why some people are giving it low ratings.

Digging: Behemoth - The Satanist

DatsNotDaMetulz
October 5th 2013

I don't think I've heard a genuinely bad Soulfly album. The only two I don't rate that highly are Conquer (stuff that wasn't good enough for the CavCon album) and 3 (the most nu-metal of them all) but they're still pretty good and it says a lot that Soulfly's lowest rated album on here has an average of 3.

Puckoff
October 8th 2013

Great album. Best since Dark Ages.

Metalstyles
October 8th 2013

I got a little sick of these guys about a year or so after Omen because most of their stuff sounds so samey (it's great when you're in the mood, but every new Soulfly album up to Omen was basically, with minor adjustments, repeating the album that came before it). I skipped Enslaved but people seem to really like this one so I may have to give it a spin and re-ignite my love for Soulfly.

Good review.

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

ianjulian
October 14th 2013

Marc Rizzo

engleprunt
November 1st 2013

Who's the generic deathcore cock smoker on "Fallen?"