Sasquatch
IV

by Raul Stanciu STAFF
October 4th, 2013 | 26 replies | 6,311 views

Release Date: 09/24/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Subtle sightings of the beast.

Delivering a follow-up to a magnum opus must have put a lot of pressure on Sasquatch even before commencing the creation process. All the heavy riffs and dirty grooves were packed into the gritty epic, III, turning it into a hidden gem and a landmark in the hard rock/stoner sphere. Luckily, the band were aware of the fact they couldn't simply create a clone and get away with it, so they crafted the shorter, more immediate, IV.

While the record doesn't outrun the predecessor, it acts as an important step forward for Sasquatch, since it expands several of their musical facets. As a very equilibrated affair, IV makes room for more intricate pieces that show signs of maturity and constant improvement. Instant cuts like 'The Message' or 'Corner' have that cool, straightforward rock 'n' roll vibe, yet they are merely the starting point of the whole journey, being used to lure the listener in. These pave the way for more consistent tracks such as the heavy and dynamic, 'Smoke Signals' with its prolonged scratchy, guitar wrecking solos, the scorching 'Eye Of The Storm' or the slow-burning finale, 'Drawing Flies'. It might take a few listens for them to sink in, but they show a band feeling comfortable in their own skin, not being afraid to let the riffs speak for themselves.

Whereas a couple of highlights would please an average stoner band nowadays, these guys trimmed IV to keep it devoid of any potential filler. 'Money' brings some more of that fat groove Sasquatch have become notorious for, to accompany Keith Gibbs's powerful vocals. He always doses his delivery for the listener to constantly keep track of the music too and the solo provided towards the end of the track is pure rock fury. Also, the blues influenced, 'Sweet Lady', pays homage to the band's roots, but with their own imprint on it. Saturated with wah and fuzz, the song is a soaring, mid-tempo shuffle with some slick rhythms and smooth licks.

The only real downside here is the lack of acoustic numbers. Tracks like 'New Disguise' and 'Nikki' added a whole new dimension that caught a softer side and completed the overall experience on III and II, respectively. Unfortunately, these have been left out in favor of the harder tunes this time around. Even if this decision doesn't actually affect the final product, it would've made for a more rounded affair, akin to the previous offerings. Regardless, at the end of the day, Sasquatch are still one of the world's premiere hard rock/stoner acts and IV is yet another essential cut in their catalog, monitoring their constant progress.

Yawning Man Nomadic PursuitsSeven That Spells The Death And Resurrection Of Krautrock: IO
Tim Bowness Abandoned Dancehall DreamsWo Fat The Conjuring
Kasabian 48:13Greenleaf Trails And Passes

October 4th 2013

It's Sasquatch, it rules. Get yours right now.

Stream it here - http://smallstone.bandcamp.com/album/iv

Digging: Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton

greg84
October 4th 2013

Fix the coding error in the 1st para.

'A very equilibrated affair, IV makes room for more intricate pieces' > As a very equilibrated affair IV makes room...

'but they show a band feeling comfortable in its own skin' > ...in their own skin. You need to be consistent here.

Other than that. It was a good read. Mad props for reviewing this.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

October 4th 2013

Thanks. I finally finished University and had time to review this, since it went pretty much unnoticed here on Sputnik.
I really like that beside the awesome music, these guys put emphasis on the lyrics too.

October 4th 2013

why is 'stoner-rock' a thing? why not just psychedelic rock? gotta attach stigma to it

Departures
October 4th 2013

This album actually got me out of the band. They are so consistent that I find their music boring now.

Digging: Blu - Good To Be Home

greg84
October 4th 2013

Psychedelic rock is quite different from stoner rock or heavy psych. That's why.

They're not all that conistent. I love their previous album. This one is a bit of a step down. Eye Of The Storm, Money and Drawing Flies are amazing songs, though.

October 4th 2013

Yeah, stoner and psychedelic are separate entities. Thanks for the feature, it was a bit unexpected. It passed a couple of weeks since it was released.

III is still their best record.

Mad.
October 4th 2013

They are definitely hugely different genres.

Great review, would pos. still need to finish III then I'll get onto this.

Insomniac, you should check Farflung - A Wound In Eternity, it's amazing and hugely underrated everywhere...

Digging: Dwellers - Pagan Fruit

October 4th 2013

Thanks. These guys are really good, happy to see you dig them. I haven't heard Farflung, I'll get it right now, thanks for recommending it.

i get that they're different it's just a stupid designation imo

review is great btw

October 4th 2013

Yeah, pretty much. I wanted to be as straightforward as possible so there would be no confusion for those who might be interested in the record. Thanks!

Geist
October 4th 2013

Aw hell yeah. I loved this album. Bullhorns 24/7.

RogueNine
October 5th 2013

Album art keeps reminding me of Device.

October 5th 2013

It's a weird design for such a band (especially when named Sasquatch), but it ain't bad

Mad.
October 5th 2013

It's kind of justice to the world that Sasquatch is the name of a stoner band, as is 'Witch' and 'Sleep'

NodScene23
October 7th 2013

Great review, insomniac. Thanks for getting to this review. I suppose I should have a better work ethic next time I volunteer to get to a review. Thanks for the go ahead earlier on that, greg84.

Still need to give this album a few more spins.

October 7th 2013

No problem, if you write something for it you can submit it at any time.

Emim

i get that they're different it's just a stupid designation imo

most sub-subgenres have increasingly retarded names

slidenslip
October 7th 2013

20 secs in and i know this is gonna be dope. thanks for introducing to me to motorpsycho as well, insomniac.

October 8th 2013

Yeah, this is cool. Happy to hear you dig Motorpsycho as well. Both aren't popular enough on Sputnik.