Keaton Henson
Dear...

by VisionsFromTheDarkSide USER (23 Reviews)
October 3rd, 2013 | 44 replies

From the bustling city of London comes a multi-talented man by the name of Keaton Henson. As well as music, Henson also indulges in poetry and visual art, even designing album artwork for bands such as Enter Shikari and Dananananaykroyd. He is renowned for suffering from serious stage fright and could be described as a recluse, so it is no surprise that his first album, ‘Dear…’ is the soundtrack of a man lost, lonely and depressed.

The enigma that Henson creates helps to produce a truly compelling listen in ‘Dear…’ The 25 year-old’s breakthrough came when his single ‘You Don’t Know How Lucky You Are’ received national attention through DJ Zane Lowe, when he played the track on BBC Radio 1, and it’s not hard to see why the song received much praise and recognition. With its hypnotic guitar work and melancholy lyrics, the song perfectly encapsulates the essence of ‘Dear…’

Lyrically, Henson seems to take a lot of inspiration from Irish folk musician Damien Rice, while musically, the fiddly and folk-like guitars often draw comparisons with Iron & Wine. Much like these artists, the real talent that Henson seems to have is being able to captivate the listener with just a guitar and his delicate-style of vocals. However, some people may see this as Henson’s downfall; it could be said that these components alone are not enough to hold the listener’s attention for the full thirty-five minutes of ‘Dear…’

There is no denying Henson’s talent, however, and what this album really excels at is creating a smooth and easy listen while not slipping to the sub-standard clichés commonly found in today’s music scene. As mentioned before, Henson’s vocals are a real highlight, and manage to sound extremely fragile and emotional, yet soothing at the same time. This, coupled with the often-complex and technical guitar work ensures that ‘Dear…’ is an album not to be missed, and really conforms to the image that Henson has managed to create through his lack of live performances and generally enigmatic nature. All in all, ‘Dear…’ is a fantastic record which deserves far more attention, although does not receive it possibly for the sake of the artist involved.

Maveth Coils of the Black EarthCoffinworm IV.I.VIII
Sport Bon VoyageExarsis The Brutal State
Stonehelm StonehelmEyehategod In the Name of Suffering

October 3rd 2013

Bit of a short review for my standards

Digging: Noah Gundersen - Ledges

Nice rev, pos

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

Thanks dude

ShadowRemains

20700 Comments

pretty good review

both of his full lengths are great

Digging: Banks - Goddess

October 3rd 2013

Thanks mate, and I haven't heard his second one actually but if it's anything like this then I'll
listen.

bakkermaarten007
October 3rd 2013

I checked this after reading the review of his second full length. I like the music but I just can't get over his voice. It's too bad 'cause I really want to like it.

October 3rd 2013

That's a shame man, I love his voice, but to each their own

bakkermaarten007
October 3rd 2013

It's quite surprising really, given my top rated albums. Lots of vocal work there that'd make lots of people cringe. Also, good review. Pos.

October 3rd 2013

Haha I see what you mean (not that I cringe at those vocals but I know people who do), thanks bro

iwasnvrurbf
November 9th 2013

I'm seeing him live on Monday
tissues at the ready

Not your thing?

ShitsofRain

not at all

January 11th 2014

Shame man, this seriously got to me...

Fuck this is incredible
Guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3o0MFSv4dw really though

Digging: Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

tommygun
May 17th 2014

have had this for like a year without jammin agreed

Digging: Broods - Evergreen

Change that agreed

tommygun
May 17th 2014

the guard in kakariko village at the gate to death mountain

his son wants a keaton mask

Okay green baron