Krewella

by H. USER (119 Reviews)
September 30th, 2013 | 15 replies

Release Date: 09/24/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Generic EDM act #49

Krewella are and will always be nothing more than your standard EDM act. With all the club fare over saturating the pop music scene today, it's a wonder how Krewella even got a top 40 hit in the first place. With acts like Avicii, Zedd, David Guetta and Icona Pop in the market, Krewella's success is baffling, especially since they pull off the same crap that those aforementioned acts do. Now, none of those groups are rather good, since most of them just reuse the same EDM cliches, so why would they want to rip off them in the first place? Regardless, their success was enough for them to release a full album's worth of material, the oh-so-subtly titled Get Wet.

Believe it or not, that title actually says a lot about Krewella not only as musicians, but as what type of people they are. The Yousaf sisters and their lyrics are incredibly sex-based, and while I don't mind horny music (if music can turn me on, that's a pro), Krewella's attempts at being "sexy" end up sounding incredibly off-putting. Lines like "And if it's hard or soft before we get off, I'm gonna enjoy the ride" or "Wanna piece of this cherry pie, what you gonna make of this?" are way too blatant and explicit to be sexy, and in the end, hurts their music a lot more than it helps them.

There are essentially only two types of songs on Get Wet; brash, loud, Autotune-coated party anthems in the vein of "Live for the Night", or more slow, quieter snoozers like "Alive". It's a reason why those two songs are Krewella's biggest hits, and it's because those are the only things they can offer. The party rock anthems are incredibly vapid, and its lyrical content consists of everything I hate about the EDM scene. Lines about getting wasted? Check. Repetitive hook about clubbing all night long? Check. Ear-grating use of AutoTune? Check.

The softer, more melodic tracks aren't that much better, either. Take your standard slow pop song, strip away whatever personality it had left, add some electronic elements to it, and you got yourself some of the most banal music in the EDM industry. These ballads are actually somehow worse than the brash party jams, because there is absolutely no substance on any of them. At least songs like "Killin' It" or "Enjoy the Ride" have the decency to include a little bit of energy in them. Granted, the energy is minimal at most, but at least it's there.

There's really not much else I can say about Krewella; they're just another inane EDM act stinking up the joint and getting some radio airplay while they're at it. If "Alive" is the only song by them you've heard up to now, then you'll be in for a surprise when you plug in Get Wet. It's the most "pop"-like out of all the tracks here, and it's completely unlike the rest of the album, which is nothing more than repetitive, personality-lacking electro dance crap that is nothing more than the sonic equivalent of an unpleasant drunk gangbang.