Bleach Blonde
Starving Artist

by Italianjesusfootball USER (7 Reviews)
September 25th, 2013 | 16 replies

Release Date: 09/24/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: So catchy, it hurts.

Bleach Blonde released their debut EP in January of this year. At first I was reluctant to listen to it. Hearing constant comparison to "Drop Dead, Gorgeous" (a band I never really could get into) I just couldn't be bothered to listen. After my good friend badgered me endlessly, I finally gave it a chance. I, surprisingly, really enjoyed it. Of course, it is only three tracks in length. But although it is short, it gave a taste of what to expect for the full length that was due sometime later that year.

Well, here we are, it's nearing the end of September and "Starving Artist" is finally out. The album is packed full of beautiful and memorable tracks. Fans of Drop Dead, Gorgeous, beware, you won't find any screams here. Danny Stillman drops the harsh vocals completely, instead using his soaring clean vocals. The guitars are very simple, leads are layered and sprinkled throughout the record. Stealing the spotlight only when necessary. The bass hugging the guitars and the drums just holding a beat, the instrumentation isn't anything groundbreaking. That isn't a bad thing, but it isn't a good thing. I found myself to be a little bored at times during a handful of songs.

The album does seem to have a pretty good flow to it for a while. The opening track, Miss Messenger, demands your attention right away. The album does a good job of keeping that attention until the 6th track. This is the point where the songs just seem to recycle previous ideas. Although these recycled and reused sections and structures are good, they start to get old pretty quick. The last track, "Crystal Clear", does end the album on a good note, however. The slow acoustic song soothes and calms until the full band comes in to close out the album.

The most notable thing about this album is how quickly it gets in your head. I've caught myself humming the chorus to "Headed West" multiple times since the record dropped. Yes, it is catchy, but it does get quite boring towards the middle. That being said, something about this album just keeps bringing me back to it. I find myself wanting to listen to it more and more. The only thing holding this group now is their songwriting ability. Will they improve in the future? We can only hope so, but until then, lets just enjoy what we have.

The Killing Tree The Romance of Helen TrentBeartooth Sick
Above This TitaniumBlessthefall Hollow Bodies
Hands Like Houses UnimagineHousefire! Street Party!

September 25th 2013

I'm still kind of a beginner at reviews, so please be gentle.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

September 25th 2013

I reviewed their EP I was hoping this would be good. I'll have to check it out.

September 26th 2013

Yeah they continued to build on the momentum of their debut EP. Much better

tresm87
September 26th 2013

The instrumentals are surprisingly way better than i thought they would be. Stills is expanding his vocal range once again
into new heights of brilliance, though I can't lie when I say I miss the screaming immensely, but obviously it dosn't match
their direction. The other vocalist is awesome too and compliments very well. Same producer as In Vogue by DDG, Kris
Crummett, a wonderful producer.

Digging: PVRIS - White Noise

Shimana
September 26th 2013

this ain't posthardcore... more like some weak pop punk/emo

Digging: Hail the Sun - Wake

September 26th 2013

I'd say it's honestly just alt. rock/emo. Not post hardcore at all. I agree.

henryChinaski
September 29th 2013

Damn, this rules!

Digging: From Indian Lakes - Absent Sounds

September 30th 2013

Yeah unknown band at the moment but this album will get them some followers.

captaincrunch11
October 1st 2013

This is pre kewl

GmemberKills
October 1st 2013

This is alright. Lyrics are full of cheese sometimes.

tresm87
October 4th 2013

yea ddg was hated big time back in the day. In Vogue was like my introduction to a lot of different bands back in 06.

DreamAgain
October 16th 2013

hahah I never even realized how hated DDG was around here til I checked out the reviews.

Really, In Vogue got a 1.0 but worse than a fairy tale got like a 3.5?

I always did have a soft spot for them, I need to check this out.

DreamAgain
October 16th 2013

This band reminds me of Just Surrender.

wowyouresohxc
November 21st 2013

I'm in this review.

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

November 22nd 2013

Yeah, you badgered me endlessly.

ProjectFreak
December 6th 2013

album is pretty average. nothing stands out (except for some cheesy lyrics and the whiny vocals) but they can write a decent chorus every now and again

Digging: From Indian Lakes - Absent Sounds