Lorde
Pure Heroine

by Matt Harrison CONTRIBUTOR (20 Reviews)
September 24th, 2013 | 273 replies

Release Date: 09/30/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's a new art form, showing people how little she cares.

If you were somehow able to go back in time to 1988 and ask who the most promising young female artist was, you would likely get one answer: Judit Polgár. It was nearly indisputable. Before her thirteenth birthday, the Hungarian chess prodigy was already crushing Grandmasters with an unforgiving intensity her competitors described as nothing less than staggering. Match after match, the chess genius would devastate her opponents, some of which had over 50 years of professional experience on her -- yet she would often do it within mere minutes. Now return to the present and you get 16-year-old New Zealand indie-pop virtuoso Ella Yellach-O'Connor (stage name Lorde) doing the exact same thing in the music industry.

Making her entrance on Soundcloud in early 2013 (with little expectations for her work), Lorde quickly exploded into the music scene with her Love Club Ep -- and the allure wasn't difficult to pinpoint either. Her sharp, critical lyrics spouting sardonic sentiments like "When you're part of the Love Club, everything will glow for you"; her catchy choruses that swelled up only to gracefully descend; and her precise, minimalist beats, dominated radio stations all around the world with listeners demanding the tracks (particularly the single "Royal") be kept omnipresent because the new pop-royalty deserved nothing less than to reign.

Now with the release of her debut record, Pure Heroine, we're revealed the full extent of her prowess. Besides the aforementioned "Royals," the album also features previously released singles "Tennis Court" and "Team," with the former driving along with fuzzy bass lines and confident "yeahs," and the latter featuring a soaring chorus singing, "we live in cities you'll never see on screen, not very pretty, but we sure know how to run things." Yet what is more astounding is that every track provides something vital and efficient to the overall experience; it's art at its most clear and complete. No track blends together confusingly in its feeling or songwriting. Instead, each song follows into the previous as if there was no alternative way it could possibly go. Just as "Ribs" mellow hum pulses into the staccato piano of "Buzzcut Season," "White Teeth Teen"'s vibraphone rings over a chorus of Lordes, flowing into the final track, which shines as her most triumphant moment of the album. And the excellent songwriting on Pure Heroine only makes her brilliant lyricism that much more delightful.

But this doesn't make sense to me. I have always been hesitant to give a "classic" rating until the record has stood the test of time, yet strangely I don't feel the necessity for that here at all. This girl is sixteen years old and she's already establishing herself as potentially the most important blooming pop artist in the industry. And unlike most outstanding debuts, I don't feel like this will be her best because I mean hell, the growth I've experienced, both maturely and intellectually, since I was sixteen is unmeasurable, as it surely is for everyone. Yet here we are with a girl of her age essentially saying "check mate" to pop artists twice her age and with twice the experience. I can only sit back and eagerly anticipate her future releases because I'll be damned if they don't set a new standard of excellence in music.

My Brightest Diamond None More Than YouKishi Bashi Lighght
Laurel Halo Chance of RainHe Is Legend I Am Hollywood
Noah Gundersen LedgesSon Lux Lanterns
Robbie Byrne (4)
Lorde & Joel Little craft a unique proposition in the humdrum world of pop...

Rudy K. STAFF (4.1)
Just one more hit....

Polyethylene (4.5)
The precocious popstar delivers on the hype, and then some....

Green Baron (4)
Ladies and gentleman, meet your new queen of pop....

The Love Club

September 24th 2013

Stream is here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/23/stream-lorde-album-pure-heroine_n_3975626.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

September 24th 2013

really proud of this one actually.

HolidayKirk
September 24th 2013

Solid review but if you're going to drop a perfect 5 on an album that came out today you need to come correct. This isn't enough, it still reads like you're overreacting.

September 24th 2013

I understand your point (I've been known to criticize others of that as well) but honestly I can't find a fault with this album and it's original enough for me that I just think it's a 5. I stand by it.

September 24th 2013

oh my fucking god. you talked about judit polgar in this review. instant pos. seriously, she's one of three grandmasters whose play i study and style mine after. excellent review btw

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

September 24th 2013

if i could note one thing it's that, for those of your audience who study chess, the comparison might seem a little more than misleading. i mean, polgar is the kind of prodigy that comes along once in a century

Athom
September 24th 2013

If I absolutely loathe Royals is this still worth checking out?

tommygun

5 yes yes yes

good review

September 24th 2013

Nice! Yea, I'm so fascinated by her. I'd love to watch her in a match or just have a conversation with her.

tommygun
September 24th 2013

@ redsky - royals is easily the worst song and none of the others sound like it so yea

September 24th 2013

@redsky: I mean, if you loathe her then you probably would not like this, but I still think you should check it out.

@Gyro: yea, it is an exaggeration but hopefully my point is made. Plus I thought it would capture the reader early on with such a strange example.

Deviant.

Can't believe the 5 already

Ah, my bad. Read that wrong. Yeah, Royals is probably the weakest track

September 24th 2013

matt: they say it's incredibly intimidating sitting across the table from her because she stares intensely at her opponents, really throws them off. the thing i love about polgar is she's a great positional player, always willing to sacrifice material for a positional advantage. i try to incorporate the same style of playing, but it's all about knowing when to sac the exchange. hit me up on my wall if you're an avid chess fan, maybe we can have a few games.

Green Baron

20000 Comments

this is NOT a 5.

it is pretty good, but NOT a 5. how can you 5 something before it's even released? haven't had the chance to fully sink in, and it's a 5?

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

September 24th 2013

It was close between a 4.5 and 5, and I won't deny it's a little premature, but I can't see this diminishing since I've been listening the love club Ep religiously since it came out and I think this is stronger

joshuahuntkc

good reveiw

teslabarrier
September 24th 2013

is she worth fapping over? seems aight i guess but not that horny

Green Baron

20000 Comments

like the drug reference in the title

joshuahuntkc
September 24th 2013

I usually hate this kind of stuff. It seems like all the female indie pop vocalists all are trying to sound the same, vocally the way they arrange instrumentation and whatnot. Even though some aspects of this are pretty generic for the indie world something about it still stands out, at least from the few songs I've already heard. I'll have to check the rest out.