Jesu
Every Day I Get Closer To The Light...

by Robert Davis CONTRIBUTOR (142 Reviews)
September 23rd, 2013 | 31 replies | 4,584 views

Release Date: 09/24/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: On this evidence, the light which Jesu is attempting to get closer to doesn't seem that far away.

If ever there was a musician who excelled at fusing hypnotic, mesmerising sounds with otherworldly, dream-like atmospheres, then it must surely be Justin Broadrick. For the man has been doing this sort of thing ever since 2003, collaborating with the strangest of musical effects and consequently making music loved by those who crave imaginary, fantastical soundscapes which are hard to experience in reality. This isn’t to say that Broadrick is some sort of musical magician who hypnotizes listeners with little effort, but it really does seem as if creating the type of music Jesu largely consists of is as easy as humanly possible.

Whether you believe that the previous paragraph is a bit of an exaggeration or not, it surely has to be believed that Broadrick has made a name for himself in the underground music world. Although his work is never going to be embraced by everyone (Some would argue that the majority of Jesu's work is far too repetitive and ‘boring’ to be called ‘original’), what Broadrick has done with Jesu is successful to say the least. The ambitiously titled Every day I get close to the light from which I came is jam-packed with ambitious energy and experimentation, but it’s not without it’s few flaws either. For one thing, the first two songs appear to take too much time to actually move from where they started, and strangely enough they aren’t the longest songs on the album either. Granted, this is something that many Jesu songs consist of, but unfortunately for this particular album it isn’t exactly the best start. The other problem is that Broadrick’s vocals feel a little too lacklustre at times, which, especially on Comforter , feel buried amongst the overwhelming usage of different styles which include electronica, dub and the most obvious of them all, post-metal. Somehow his vocal effects never quite soar to the heights they could have, and it may just bring that extra bit of disappointment to even the most devoted of Jesu fans.

That said, Homesick and the last three songs are really what define both Broadrick’s and Jesu’s careers. Homesick had been released prior to the album’s full stream, and listeners could both grasp just how high Broadrick clean voice could soar and understand how much work the man had done to make Jesu’s latest effort consistent and well performed. It’s filled to the brim with melody and harmony, yet also complemented by sometimes crushing guitar rhythms and otherworldly ambient effects, all making for a sound as unique as that on the album’s longest song, The great leveller. This fusion of musical elements continues throughout the album to progress to dizzyingly ambitious heights, and it’s not surprising to see songs such as the glorious Everyday or softer than usual closer Grey is the colour to be charged by frequent bursts of an spiritual energy.

The only major difference from Jesu’s last album, Ascension, is also an obvious one. Every day… consists of a mere five songs which amount to a total of 43 minutes, which is still almost half the length of the musical act’s debut album. The album’s longest song, The great leveller reaches the seventeen minute mark, and is slowly but surely taken on a musical journey to finally arrive at a destination that fully embraces every instrument and style Broadrick had used for the production, resulting in a culmination of musical beauty. The first three songs all become gradually longer and longer, yet strangely enough it is only with Everyday where you can first feel Broadrick’s passionate musical energy flowing freely within every minute.

All this said, Every day… is simply another Jesu album, but one that makes you realize what the musician has been trying to do with his talented flair for creating atmosphere, imagery and harmonious music. It isn’t quite Jesu’s best work, or indeed one that will change anybody’s perception of Broadrick as a musician, but it definitely does what it originally set out to do, and never strays from the original path.

Black Anvil Hail DeathCannabis Corpse From Wisdom to Baked
Corrosion of Conformity IXDeathstars The Perfect Cult
California Breed California BreedSepticflesh Titan
Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (3)
The journey continues and the light is still out of reach......

Jesu

Silver

Conqueror

Lifeline EP
recommended by reviewer
Jesu Jesu
Jesu Silver

September 23rd 2013

Album stream, for those who want to try this album out: http://pitchfork.com/advance/228-everyday-i-get-closer-to-the-light-from-which-i-ca/

I wrote this whilst recovering from a very bad sore throat, so I'm not confident it's my best. Still, I think this album is pretty decent considering Jesu has been underrated for the past decade or so.

InbredJed

jesu is turbo-badass

Digging: Dick Dale - Surfer's Choice

EaglesBecomeVultures

that cover is dope

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

jesu is turbo-badass(2)

Loving this as much as Ascencion and Conqueror (doesn't touch the debut though), Broadrick is the Man!

Great review, pos.

NakedSnake
September 23rd 2013

Comforter is probably my favorite jesu song.

greg84

Great review. Pos'd.

[i]Everyday[i/]
^fix it, better yet put the titles of songs in "..."

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

theshelfmaster

this is perty good

cb123

1991 Comments

quite enjoyed this, always love me some Jesu

Speed512
September 24th 2013

pos'd. but still not better than silver.

"[i]Everyday[i/]
^fix it, better yet put the titles of songs in "..."

Thanks for pointing out man. This is actually the first review where I didn't put song titles in "...". Thought I'd try out the [] method instead. To me it seems so much easier putting titles in "..." anyway.

September 24th 2013

"but still not better than silver."

Agreed, I think it would be hard for Broadrick to surpass the quality on that EP.

greg84
September 24th 2013

It's much easier, and it's more in line with the site's format and rules. You should use italics only for album titles.

Wizard

19206 Comments

Please give me some Godflesh....this was ok but kinda boring.

Robert, great review buddy. Change the bolded album titles to italics.

Digging: Merzbow - Dust of Dreams

September 24th 2013

I heard Godflesh have got back together. The band's first album was pretty awesome, so if that's anything to go by then it may just be more interesting than Jesu's output.

Relinquished

lol

1950 Comments

"Please give me some Godflesh...."

2014, nothing before that's for sure.

TREO5
September 24th 2013

pretty solid. has a nice "autumn" feel to it.

joplinpicasso
September 24th 2013

God damn, Jesu have depressing cover albums. I love 'Ascension' and its "alt-rock" feel, but this is a great fall album, agreed! I love its drawn-out spaces... Alright review, could use a bit more formatting!

1950 Comments

Conqueror is the best jesu artwork imo