Insomnium
Ephemeral

by Manqaness24 USER (5 Reviews)
September 22nd, 2013 | 11 replies | 1,219 views

Release Date: 11/19/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Insomnium looks at the past and incorporates new ideas with old ones. The result is something we expected and a bit more to chew on!!

It's been over two years since we have received any new work of the men in Insomnium. While some line up changes during the release of "One for Sorrow' Era with the inclusion of Markus Vanhala of Omnium Gaterum on guitar. Besides, that on to the EP "Ephemeral"

The first track "Ehemeral" starts of on this melodic journey of a steady and consistent guitar work and great melody. Easily, the track that will remind you more of the work on "One for Sorrow". Inclusion of clean vocals on this track make this possibly the best on this track. At times this track reminded me more of Omnium Gatherum work on "Beyond' with usage of well timed synthesizer work and beautiful passages between songs. This is only song in which you will hear harsh work.

The second Track "The Emergence" Reminds me of a lot of 'Hall of the Awaking". Very light strings played in time with each other sounding like something i would hear in a church like atmosphere.

The third track "The Swarm" starts very similar to "The Emergence" great use of melody and something i would see at renaissance festivals. It has that feeling and wonder of a man searching rough a forest for his treasure. So beautiful and melodic to the ears.

We have our final track "The Descent" which of course follows the lead of second and third tracks. It has a similar feeling to the other songs on this ep but it stands on it's own to introduce you the feeling of a treasure being sought after. Once it's found a mental image of beauty fails to escape the listener and requests that you listen for more.

Overall, Insomnium has created a great Ep. This should satifiy any listeners who loved "In the Halls of Awaiting"

good
Kyle Ward STAFF (3)
An EP that shows both sides of a band in transition...

Manqaness24
September 22nd 2013

Hopefully you guys will like it thanks.

September 22nd 2013

Based off the title track this won't be that great but I will reserve judgement. Review is not that
great to be honest, grammar and spelling aren't very good, descriptions are minimal and Insomnium do
not have a track called "Hall of the Awaking".

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

Omaha
September 22nd 2013

Grammar and spelling are your friend, even if they don't seem like it in this review.

Brostep
September 22nd 2013

two staff bashing the review immediately? whoa

September 22nd 2013

Just listened, the instrumentals save this EP from being a total waste of time. It makes me wonder why
"Ephemeral" is even on here, they should have just released it with the three acoustic songs.

Shogun
September 22nd 2013

"Ephemeral" is a decidedly average song and I hope to god it isnt indicative of the next album. This would of been a 2.5 had it not been for a couple of the instrumentals, "The Descent" really is wonderful.

Pretty dissapointed however that "The Emergence" didnt materialise into a fully fledged song.

September 22nd 2013

I would have this at like a 2.2 or 2.3 without the instrumentals.

Havey

band is gaw

Keyblade
September 23rd 2013

Damn when did this drop lol

And shut the fuck up skele

Digging: Kacica - Kacica

Keyblade

They're no....ah eff it

Vakarian12
September 23rd 2013

the acoustic tracks are really nice

Digging: Sepultura - Arise