Hole
Live Through This

by Reverse Perpendiculars USER (27 Reviews)
September 22nd, 2013 | 5 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: He only loves those things because he loves to see them break

It’s God-F*cking awful. Almost everyone seems to have an opinion about Courtney Love who has heard of Nirvana, and of Kurt Cobain. The list is infinite and unproven: She got Kurt hooked on heroin, she hates Dave Grohl, she probably killed her husband – it’s like an inherent distrust regardless of the truth of the matter. And she stirred controversy long before too. This is the women who came up with the lyrics “You look good in my dress my beautiful son, I know
you're buried like me” as taken straight out of her notebook. She screams it, she sings it, and she moans about how difficult it is to be born female. It’s all there, and it’s raw and powerful. This early marriage of noise rock and punk evolved into a grunge ridden fantasy after her husband’s work, and later devolved into a pop rock sensation when the band lost momentum from the grunge genre backfire. But before Hole disappeared, the grunge era’s Live Through This became a riot grl and feminist grunge classic that formed a disjointed, transcendental diary of Courtney Love's marriage to Kurt Cobain.

It was all for him, and their listeners can figure it out as well. “Plump” is a twisted comparison between her and her baby, and between her and her sexual encounters, and much of the album appears to relate directly to her marriage and the stress in her life. The recording sessions were rampant with substance abuse, with the lineup consistently high throughout most of the album's production and it works to the same extent that Layne Staley’s heroin addiction influenced “Dirt.” There is a spunky pop covered in a newfound solemn and personal agenda that is not present before or after Live Through This, with her darkly murmuring "Someday, you will ache like I ache."

It’s a haunted masterpiece. Eric Erlandson's guitar work foreshadows the death of his girlfriend and bassist Kristen Pfaff by drug overdose months later, and the album was released mere days before Kurt Cobain’s death, not to mention the rumors of his involvement on it stretching from him writing most of it to him simply performing backup vocals on a few of the tracks. Courtney Love somehow managed 38 minutes of superior fame, with her sour luster approximating her husband's gruff yowls and internal struggle in "Miss World" and the more well-known aggressive MTV hit "Violet," full of self pity and the continuing realization of it in her drug-riddled wake.

Love cries “If you live through this with me, I swear that I will die for you,” and even if it seems contingent to and dependent on the material surrounding it, my cat cries to this album in unison with her.