Balance and Composure

by Jacob R. STAFF
September 21st, 2013 | 112 replies | 21,687 views

Release Date: 09/10/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Numb.

One of the most interesting talking points about Balance and Composure’s latest album is that it brings the listener to a memorable point of their lives. Maybe I’m an anomaly for having a homogeneous blur of a childhood-- most of my peers probably have fond musical memories as kids, of blasting Nirvana in the car and hearing Smashing Pumpkins on the radio. But the difference is that those styles never particularly appealed to me. Even when I did come to an age where they made more sense-- grunge being the pissy step-child of alternative rock, for instance-- I never found myself too invested in those particular scenes. The Things We Think We’re Missing wears the influences of its past on its sleeve, but for someone like me who has always been fonder of the future’s promises, this album feels a bit too expired.

There’s a way to incorporate these alt. rock hybrids into a satisfying blend, and the key is emphasizing their dynamics. The Things We Think We’re Missing is a single musical statement, and sure, its uniformity is admirable to a point. But homogeneous records must go out of their way to be emotionally palatable, and by this album’s conclusion, it feels as if the same song and dance has been recreated a few too many times. This album is mid-tempo alternative rock, encased in hazy atmospherics and swirling reverb, and it’s the style of music that struggles to properly pace itself when being propped up by nothing else. This release is also counterintuitive in that it depends on atmospherics over melody. Case in point, it’s exceedingly rare for singer Jon Simmons to carry a melody that’ll really stick. He contributes to the music’s dim soundscape while never quite navigating it-- he’s either an unreliable captain or an overreaching crewman, and this ambiguity is clear enough in his nonchalant delivery. In songs like “Notice Me,” Simmons doesn’t seem to desire being noticed one bit. He and his band have some endgoal in mind, but for the life of me, I can’t put my finger on what. The song is most effective when it crashes out of existence by riding tidal waves of reverb, and at that point I’m interested to hear if Balance and Composure is going to lose its ***-- but no, “Notice Me” wraps itself up in an expectedly tidy and safe manner. So it goes.

The primary points carried forth on this release are the ones the band sounds the least enthusiastic about, which leads to a resoundingly disappointing follow-up to 2011’s Separation. I could sing to that album in the car; I could attach myself to it wholeheartedly. But with The Things We Think We’re Missing, I’m puzzled at how little there is to latch onto. The ride is airy, polished and ultimately unaffecting. Sometimes I convince myself I need to give it another go, that maybe I’m going about the process all wrong, but then it makes sense-- this album is tailored for Balance and Composure and only them. Some listeners have been through the same experiences the group has, having growed up on the reverb-laced grunge this album adores-- and so these fans find themselves tethered to the atmospheric aesthetic this album presents over its melodies. But for everyone else, this is dull and lifeless, lacking any definitive melody to provide meaning to this otherwise drab trip into alternative rock. While the band’s earlier music also treaded an exceedingly familiar stylistic tightrope, it wore its rigid production on its sleeve to brand itself a distinct identity. But this record is just safe music in a safe context, and I can’t bring myself to feel anything but numb to it.

Every Time I Die From Parts UnknownBaths Ocean Death
Closure in Moscow Pink LemonadeSOHN Tremors
SZA ZTycho Awake
Mike Denison (2.5)
Missing something....

Wayne H. (4)
Balance and Composure at their most balanced and composed....

Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Won't you let me in?...

but I still feel it

September 21st 2013

that is probably a reference to my summary, and probably a Linkin Park reference

am i right?

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

JENNIFER LAWRENCE

THAT IS ALL

title fight

titlefightmeirl
September 21st 2013

close, it's a reference to title fight

ShitsofRain

boom there it goes

Digging: Ben Sims - Fabric 73

Irving
September 21st 2013

Woah, a review in which Jacob Royal courts controversy by handing out a significantly-lower-than-the-site's-mean rating!

September 21st 2013

I am as controversial as that one Death Grips album cover

not quite as veiny, though

ILJ
September 21st 2013

dig the review. this album did next to nothing for me. definitely one of the bigger disappointments of the year

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

September 21st 2013

new release post-hardcore/pop-punk/metalcore albums with a 3.9-4 average are usually not good

witchxrapist
September 21st 2013

band is just not good at full lengths

Digging: Stray From the Path - Our Oceania

breakingthefragile

inb4 Linkin Park

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

cvlts
September 21st 2013

never understood the hype around these guys. oh well

September 21st 2013

"ARE YOU FEELING IT NOW MR KRABS?"

Digging: The Antikythera Mechanism - Pathos

September 21st 2013

At this rate, I only wonder what your first six comments were

September 21st 2013

Hey now, no need to worry. That seventh comment was my dumbest so far. Cheers for the call out.

September 21st 2013

I've been browsing Sputnik for years now but I finally decided to sign up. Figured I'd give it a try.

September 21st 2013

Cheers. For every 100 silly comments, there are 10 insightful ones. Makes it worth the trouble.

September 21st 2013

Make the 10th one count, bro.

September 21st 2013

Oh, and Jennifer Lawrence's titties. Again.