netra
Sørbyen

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (105 Reviews)
September 19th, 2013 | 15 replies | 1,102 views

Review Summary: A journey into the mind of a man that's every bit as haunting as it is beautiful

In an increasingly vast world of music, it’s safe to say netra aren’t just another band. In fact, their music is quite unlike anything I’ve had the pleasure of hearing before. Combining influences of black metal and jazz with an eerie trip hop vibe, netra’s latest album Sørbyen is all compiled by one man. However, this is no ordinary man. This is a man, who in his darkest times began to create music to battle his demons and cure his boredom of city life. He is the creative force behind netra’s music and his talents and ambitions shine throughout the bands’s sophomore album, Sørbyen.

Throughout the journey that is Sørbyen, you never really know what to expect. Just when you think you have the music figured out, you discover you are gravely mistaken. Whether it be the trademark black metal screams of ‘Concrete Ocean’ or the hauntingly beautiful title track, Sørbyen has a surprise waiting around every corner. At first, the thought of mixing a genre like trip hop with black metal seemed unusual to me, but the mysterious man behind netra is able to pull it off. Perhaps it’s how subtly he is able to mix such different genres without sounding awkward, or maybe it’s just the fact that he’s really ***ing good. Even the guitar work exceeds expectations. ‘It’s Kicking In’ starts out as a stoner jam, with strange whispers and trip hop beats before bringing in some funky guitar solos. Other songs have heavy guitars right from the get go, like ‘Strange Bliss at Dusk’ which starts out sounding like a metal song before turning into a schizophrenic ride through indescribable sounds.

Sørbyen is a well constructed album, there’s no doubt about that. The only real drawback is that certain songs will likely be harder to digest for the less daring listener. ‘I Shall Slay the Monkeys’ contains some of the most intense vocals on the album, but some may find it hard to get past the claustrophobic nature that protrudes throughout its runtime. However, the title track is a prime example of Netra’s ability to create a truly beautiful track. Without the help of any vocals, the song flows incredibly smoothly as it slowly builds an atmospheric background to make room for muddy, but slightly melodic guitars. Not only does this verify the talent behind netra, but it proves the unpredictability of Sørbyen. Sometimes it’s beautiful, others it’s downright strange, but it’s always exciting. Those looking for something a little different will find a lot to enjoy in this release. After all, netra aren’t just another band.

Somos Temple of PlentyFireworks Oh, Common Life
A Slow Descent On GanymedeThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Agalloch The WhiteThe Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

September 19th 2013

I wrote this a few months ago but just figured i'd post it. Also, it makes a nice companion to my other netra review : D

Hopefully it reads ok but any feedback is always welcome. I'll post some links later after I get off work

Digging: Saor - Roots

IbenizGEO1

badass

September 19th 2013

Heard this before way back. Sounded cool if my memory serves me right.

Cygnatti

20137 Comments

This guy makes sexy music.

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film

IbenizGEO1

All KINDZ of genres

September 19th 2013

glad you guys like it. @balls, yeah it's pretty cool so is the debut album

sausage link?

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

title track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQ_66z9PAw

I shall slay the monkeys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4OL62v2-jA

concrete ocean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnDOsl-l1Y8

Ecnalzen
September 20th 2013

Hey! Atari is back with the writing and whatnot.

I just looked at this guy's page and never thought I'd see that mixture of genres together before now.

Digging: LITE - Phantasia

September 20th 2013

Thanks for posting links. Unfortunately they don't work on my iPhone. I'll try check later on my laptop if I get time.

September 20th 2013

sup ecnal. haha this review is a few months old but i'm working on a new one just been busy

@cap, if you check them out definitely let me know what you think

Hoppoman
September 20th 2013

I enjoy this album, but the guy looks seriously bored.

Ecnalzen
September 21st 2013

I listened to the title track. It felt like it was constantly building itself up towards something, but it never happened. It was weird.

Good track though.

Funeralopolis
September 21st 2013

tagged as: jazz, black metal, trip-hop

need to hear this