Shadow of the Colossus
END GAME

by Wayne H. USER (14 Reviews)
September 19th, 2013 | 108 replies

Release Date: 08/31/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A rare but sterling example of the elusive critically defensible deathcore record.

Metal as a general style of music has, in recent times, found itself in a curiously divided state. Purists doggedly abide to the progenitors and classics as the end-all be-all of the metal hammer, while modernists revel in the recent influx of hardcore and outside influences. Nowhere is this divide more apparent than in deathcore, perhaps metal's most problematic subgenre. First, let us address the elephant in the proverbial room of deathcore: the genre is divisive, abrasive, and perpetually mired in polarizing rhetoric. Demagogues complain that it's supersaturated with hacks that are an embarrassment to metal as a whole, while proponents find unfathomable satisfaction the genre's unique if ubiquitous elements.

Make no mistake, End Game is deathcore through and through. Shadow of the Colossus run the gamut of frenetic blast-beat to admittedly cheesy breakdown with reckless abandon; to hell with the consequences. Yet, where lesser acts would slather on the hardcore in an attempt to appeal to deathcore's lowest common denominator, Shadow of the Colossus pay homage to the various subgenres of metal tastefully and in an apparently genuine and impossibly successful fashion. No melody is allowed to fully overshadow the bleak, crushing onslaught of polyrhythmic brutality, and no chugging riff trundles on beyond its lifespan without morphing into some grimmer, heavier chugging riff. Every note of End Game is fantastically equipped to offend any conservative.

Through sheer virtuosity and murderous execution, End Game exhibits a band threatening to overthrow genre juggernauts like All Shall Perish and The Contortionist's standing as flagship models of deathcore in its ultimate form. However, where their respective peers specialize in utilizing oppressively undeniable mastery or visionary progression, Shadow of the Colossus simply employ the same familiar elements with lethal precision and relentless creative mettle. From bluesy guitar interludes to anthemic aural devastation encapsulated in static form, End Game is a damn near perfect representation of brutal, technical death metal wed expertly to bro-fisting, scream-a-longing hardcore. Rarely does such a niche style feel so completely encompassed into a single album. Perhaps most notable is Shadow of the Colossus' use of every imaginable range of scream, piercing to guttural, wholly dedicated to its purpose of putting uninspired deathcore vocals to absolute shame.

At times impossibly technical, and others tranquil to the point of treading outside the arena of deathcore entirely, End Game is awe-inspiring in its ambition, and heralds a colossal leap forward in the band's discography. Every track is a tyrant in its own right, and offers a chance for fans to bask in Shadow of the Colossus' primal, chaotic glory; an opportunity to grapple with deathcore's new final boss.

ERRA AugmentBalance and Composure The Things We Think We're Missing
Lemaitre Relativity 3Mr. J. Medeiros Pale Blue Dot
Elitist EarthERRA Impulse

Beholder of Eyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFoP7Wg-M2w

Insurgence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXYq_V2EHds

SotC's Bandcamp (Also has a stream of the entire album): http://shadowofthecolossus.bandcamp.com/

Bring on the hate train.

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

19976 Comments

gotta hear

Digging: Downfall of Gaia - Aeon Unveils the Thrones of Decay

September 19th 2013

Definitely give it a listen if you haven't already. I fell in love with this at 4 AM last night.

adr
September 19th 2013

good review, the album is fucking solid.

Digging: Boris - Boris At Last -Feedbacker-

CK

Sweet, melodic deathcore!

FrozenVain
September 19th 2013

This is seriously awesome. Great review, pos'd.

TheGreatQ
September 19th 2013

I need to check these guys out

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

NastyCrab

pretty creative band name

Thanks Frozen, adr!

wacknizzle
September 19th 2013

Thy Art Is Murder and now this... I never thought I'd listen to deathcore ever again

Digging: Phobocosm - Deprived

Shuyin

12061 Comments

gotta check cuz band name

great review btw

September 19th 2013

Glad it interests you, Shuyin! I honestly find it almost criminal how quietly this was released, considering how much I enjoyed it.

Shuyin

12061 Comments

well, i did enjoy some of the songs of their first album

Mister Twister
September 19th 2013

I checked it out because "good deathcore" seemed like an oxymoron to me.

Colour me surprised, this is pretty good. Definitely felt it shouldn't have started with Beholder of Eyes though, that's easily the best song here.

Digging: Rorschach - Protestant

BigPleb

gotta check cuz band name [2]

Digging: Arc Iris - Arc Iris

September 19th 2013

@raisehell: The title track and Insurgence are pretty huge as well.

Asmodeuss1990
September 20th 2013

Great review... incredible fucking band. Christ. I thought this was just a gimmick band because of its name. Nope. They really are that good dude. I didn't expect a somewhat obscure band like this to just annihilate all other deathcore releases I've heard. This band and this album alone puts The Discovery by Born of Osiris to shame.