June Paik
June Paik (EP)

by Clefable Oathbreaker McKinley USER (219 Reviews)
September 17th, 2013 | 5 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Me? Bitter? Fuck no! I think it's hilarious

With all the hoopla surrounding the latest Sed Non Satiata it comes as an absolute shock and surprise that the new June Paik release would go by completely unheralded by sputnik. It is truly a shock because Germany's June Paik have proven themselves consistently to be one of the better screamo bands around in this era. 2013 finds the band releasing a self-titled four track EP that contains some of the most dynamic music of their young yet productive career.

Despite not being truly original June Paik have always played the popularized form of post-rock influenced screamo perfectly. Their understanding and execution of compelling musical dynamics in addition to strong central musicianship and anguished, downtrodden screams have always made for a great listen when you're feeling down and out. Those aspects along with the despondent melodicism, dense claustrophobic atmospheres and dissonant rage that have become signatures for June Paik have only grown more powerful with age.

This EP consists of four tracks that run for a twenty three minute duration. Although brief June Paik waste no time to deliver their devastating musical barrage to the people. You are greeted with the opener "Elmsfeur" which begins at a deliberately slow and melodic pace before exploding into pure savagery. The ascending/descending passages are common themes once more and are used to full effect throughout this recording. Morphing from calm, Godspeed like instrumentals into explosive, emotionally charged screamo is nothing new to the genre and most of the time this approach could come off sounding hammy or uninspired. Not the case for June Paik who continually prove themselves to be adept at their craft.

Although this is essentially just another June Paik release, the EP is an emotionally compelling listen that will strike a chord with screamo lovers everywhere. And for that I highly recommend this release.