Kaizers Orchestra
Maestro

by Stem/Long Stem USER (9 Reviews)
March 29th, 2006 | 6 replies | 29,717 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

It could well be my ears decieving me, or it could well be a slightly overactive Norwegian-to-English similarity detector, but in "Auksjon (I Dieter Meyers Hall)", I could swear there's a chant of 'Who's your daddy?'. By the time that track rolls around, you'll probably be answering with the name of this band.

Maestro is the third Kaizer's Orchestra album, and it's both a natural progression from and a continuation of the sound they've established since their debut - Norwegian folk, storming hard rock, gritty blues that sounds more fjord than delta, and pretty much anything else they feel like throwing in at the time ("Senor Flamingos Adieu" is a Western soundtrack, "Deiter Meyers Inst" is a Parisian Elliott Smith, this little piggy called "Blitzregn Baby" rides a Dick Dale surf guitar all the way home, and "Pa Ditt Skift" borrows Iron Maiden's penchant for harmonized lead guitar). The end result, as always, sounds more like Tom Waits than anything else, but this is far from a carbon copy. Kaizer's Orchestra remain a refreshing surprise for anyone disenchanted by the labelling of acts such as The Futureheads and John Legend as 'unique'.

The title track, "Maestro", is without a doubt the funkiest thing the band have yet composed, and is their best song to date. The lead guitar can't quite decide whether it wants the song to be a kid's pop song or a middle Eastern shanty. Then, in the chorus, it burst into life, re-invented into a glam stomper, with trade-offs between throat-shredding vocals facing up to a taunting, bitchy retort. Stunning. It'll be Spat Out Plath's favourite song when he hears it.

Elsewhere, drums clatter, rhythms bounce, backing vocals coo, banjos, basslines pump, accordions, and the kitchen sink vie for attention, and there's not a moment that isn't gripping, nor a song that lets the side down. Truly, it's a powerhouse of an album, delivered by a band who are clearly arrogant enough to know just how damn good they are, and driven enough to want to be better.

Every bit the equal of their most acclaimed release, Ompa Til Du Dor, this confirms Kaizer's Orchestra's status as a swaggering, driving behemoth in leftfield rock music, and quite possibly, the world's coolest band.

Girls Aloud Sound of the UndergroundGirls Aloud What Will The Neighbours Say?
Devendra Banhart Cripple CrowLaura Veirs Year Of Meteors
John Lennon ImagineDashboard Confessional MTV Unplugged

Zebra
March 29th 2006

I've haven't heard much from these guys but I would like to. The Dick Dale and Iron Maiden comparisons got me even more interested. Great job on the review, it was extra short also which is a good thing.

Iai
March 29th 2006

I was thinking when I posted it, man I didn't realise this was so short.

But hey, I got across basically everything I need too, so w/e.

Dog
March 29th 2006

Great album. I like it more than Ompa Til du DÝr.

Iai
March 29th 2006

I'm having trouble choosing. But I have an inkling I'll find this more enduring.

M@rty
March 17th 2007

This is Kaizer's best for me. Can't wait 'till the next one, supposed to be out sometime in 2008.

I actually think I prefer KGB to Maestro...but they're both brilliant. Other stand-outs for me are Knekker Deg Til Sist, Blitzregn Baby, Christiania and På Ditt Skift. Basically, half the album is something very special, and the rest is very good.

Saw them last November and they were absolutely amazing live, even better than some people have hyped them up as!

MrElmo
October 16th 2012

1950 Comments

damn this I got from my trip to the north, really good and diverse band