The Wonder Years
The Greatest Generation

by hahGAY USER (1 Reviews)
September 11th, 2013 | 20 replies | 929 views

Release Date: 05/14/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Celebrate summer with The Wonder Years.

The albums first single ‘’Passing Through A Screen Door” got us excited for the new album, but what the band didn't let fans on in was that the single was not at all the best song on the album. Not by a long shot. Good? Absolutely, but not at all up to par with past albums. The album as a whole is a perfect piece of musicianship, far better than anything they have ever done.

Soupy and crew have crafted an album that starts off slow (with the song There, There) but as the song builds and grows bigger and grander, and right as the slow start fades out, Dan's voice pierces through your ear-buds with the lyrics we have heard quite a few times by now, as he breaks into the single ''Passing Through a Screen Door". A song which I believe to contain the best lyrics the band has ever written. The lyrics are along the lines of “Came out Swinging” which include him questioning the lifestyle he chose, and if it is worth being looked down upon by people with wives and children.

Once the song ends, the mood shifts from somber to happy (I’m not sad anymore!) and the band breaks out the song “We Could Die Like This” which starts with a cool drum beat and a great chorus, about summer. It is not the albums strongest track, but it is a good song to put after the sad and slightly gloomy “Screen Door”.

Up next is another one of the singles, “Dismantling Summer” which is once again not the strongest track on the album, but still a fun, free sounding song with great instrumentation. The bridge on this song however is one of the best bridges on the album, and nearly brought me to tears.

The mood shifts once again, and goes from fun and free to heavy with the monster track “The Bastards, the Vultures, The Wolves” which includes a fast punk beat, and is much heavier than the bands usual stuff. By far one of the best on the album, but the best song on the album is…..

“The Devil in my Bloodstream”. Absolutely my favorite song on the album, and quite possibly my favorite song by the band in general. It starts off very slow and stays that way for a good 2 minutes, but then explodes. When listening, I literally did too. Truly the best and most memorable moment on the album.

The next song, “Teenage Parents” is a decent song, but not nearly as incredible as many make it out to be. It has a catchy chorus, and includes lyrics about Dan’s childhood living with a teenage mother. One of my least favorite songs on the album, but not in any way a bad song.

Chaser, is a song that really brings out Dan’s vocal chops, and includes some higher singing – something I love when he does. The song has some great backup vocals, and a killer chorus, as well as some good drumming on the verses. Better than Teenage Parents in my opinion but not nearly as great as some of the other material we have here.

The next track “American Religion” is another fast punk song, which is good, but compared to the other fast song on the album “Bastards” falls a bit short. I really enjoyed the second verse on it however.

But after that another of my favorite songs on the album is up “A Raindance in Traffic” which literally brought me to tears. It is the most earnest, honest (whatever you wanna call it) song on the album, and with Dan singing it, it is a hundred times better.

The next few songs are good, but the song “Madylen” really stuck out. It starts like “Devil in my Bloodstream” started, but never exploded. It is a very sad song, and deeply personal. And then the closer.

Cul-de-Sac is up next, and I am confused as to why they put it so much towards the end of the album. I would have definitely swapped this song with Teenage Parents, as it is so much better. It features those growly backup vocals that come along so rarely, but are great and adds so much emotion. I am not a huge fan of the bridge on this song, but the chorus more than makes up for it.

“I Just Wanna Sell Out my Funeral” is an excellent closing track and really wraps and sums up the journey the listener went on well. It is 8 minutes long, and changes beats three times, and has the lyrics from “Screen Door” as well as many other songs from the album in it too.

All in all TWY has created a masterpiece that will be played all throughout the summer. It is well rounded and the tracks are well assembled. The album was near flawless which leads to my killer (yet slightly generic) closer:

The Greatest Generation is the Greatest album of 2013.

• brandontaylor (4)
    It's a testament to The Wonder Years' abilities that The Greatest Generation can be so gre...

Mike Denison (4.5)
    The kind of album where "I know how it feels to be at war with the world that never loved ...

Frasc5 (4.5)
    The Wonder Years puts forth their best performance, noticeably more mature, and much impro...

Jacob Snow (4.5)
    Another great release for The Wonder Years that excels lyrically and musically....

• Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (5)
    The greatest generation indeed....

Point1 (4.5)
    Ten years out of high school, the world's changed but the music's stayed the same....

Millstone

Terrible review.

20052 Comments

Review Summary: Celebrate summer with The Wonder Years.

this sounds like a tv commercial.

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film

20052 Comments

"29 people like this. Be the first of your friends."

how? why? -_-

Brostep
September 11th 2013

Cyg they like the album, not the review itself. All the other reviews also have 29 likes

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

ah, okay.

suppatime
September 11th 2013

how HEAVY does this album get

Treeman
September 11th 2013

dude did you even listen to this album

suppatime
September 11th 2013

the breakdown with the synth is so crazy on "There, There"

zaruyache
September 11th 2013

You have really weird opinions about this album, OP.

The next two songs “Teenage Parents” and “Chaser” are also good songs, but feel slightly like
filler tracks.

Teenage Parents is fantastic. Chaser, OK, but not Teenage Parents. >:-(

Digging: Paramnesia - Paramnesia

lucasjcockcroft
September 11th 2013

Teenage Parents is one of my least favorite tracks on here
the way he says "kerosene" just bothers me

but anyways There, There and Cul-De-Sac are easily the best on this

SatelliteYears

"Weather"

Instant neg.

TooManyFriends

but never exploded

September 11th 2013

lol shit review. Cul-De-Sac went from a middle quality track to probably my favourite after several listens. But man this album is just so consistent and brilliant.

Digging: For The Fallen Dreams - Heavy Hearts

titlefightmeirl
September 11th 2013

yeah not the greatest review. I'm not a reviewer myself, but I would recommend just going back and using spell check, and avoiding useless paragraphs. Also, track by track reviews aren't widely accepted on this site, so try to change up your style. I've definitely read worse, but you have some things to work on.

September 11th 2013

thanks titlefightmeirl. will work on it

September 11th 2013

Don't have sentence paragraphs.

ThenamesTrenton
September 12th 2013

review is pretty bad. but you will improve brother.

September 12th 2013

everyone, I edited, added to and subtracted some stuff from the review. Probably not much better but let me know if it's better.

September 13th 2013

Soz for being hard on you as it's your first, but your paragaphs are sentences man. When writing a paragraph, you introduce your main idea, then expand that idea, then use some examples. A paragraph is usually 6-8 sentences. Try using that formula when you review next. Good luck.

September 13th 2013

yeah i understand, but i was doing track by track and seperated each track into their own paragraph.