Rise Against
Long Forgotten Songs: B-Sides & Covers

by H. USER (118 Reviews)
September 10th, 2013 | 26 replies

Release Date: 09/10/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "I just wanna save you for a huge collection of unreleased tracks."

With a career spanning over fourteen years, numerous top ten hit singles, and two near-classic albums, Rise Against have undoubtedly made a name for themselves as one of the best bands in the modern punk rock scene (forgetting that Appeal to Reason and Endgame ever happened). Throughout their career, they've released a ton of excellent songs, but not all of them were able to make it onto their six studio albums. Some tracks were left behind, released on soundtracks, or merely slapped on as bonus tracks.

In other words, Rise Against have a hell lot of B-sides. That's why Long Forgotten Songs is such a pleasant surprise; all of the band's songs never released on albums before packaged together in one gigantic album. Many old favorites return; "But Tonight We Dance" and its infectious, moving chorus sounds as fresh as the first time I heard it. The acoustic version of "Everchanging" improves over the original track from The Unraveling, as Tim McIlrath's vocals are cleaned up, and his guitarwork on the track is simply excellent. The passion in his voice as he sings the chorus is a true highlight of the compilation, and obviously the highlight of the song. The original version of "Give It All" isn't too shabby either; Tim's vocals may be a little too rough, but it's definitely more hardcore than the version that would be released on Siren Song. “Death Blossoms”, a song released only as DLC for Guitar Hero World Tour, contains some of Tim’s best screaming sections on the entire album. Even "Gethsemane" and "Join the Ranks", which were both included on The Unraveling, are strangely included here.

Rise Against's covers aren't too bad, though some of them don't hold a candle to the original. "Minor Threat" isn't too bad, but compared to the original, it's far behind, and the same goes for their take on Nirvana's "Sliver" and Lifetime's "Boy's No Good". Their take on "Making Christmas" tries to be unique, but ends up falling flat. "Nervous Breakdown" and "Built to Last", though, are pretty close in terms of quality to the original, and their renditions of "Any Where You Want It" (also included as a hidden track on Revolutions per Minute), "Blind" and "Little Boxes" are actually- dare I say it- better than the original.

Yet, amongst all of the spectacular and excellent tracks, some tracks justify why they were only passed over as B-sides. “Lanterns” is incredibly bland and devoid of substance (well, it was a bonus track off of Endgame – what else did you expect?), and like most Rise Against’s recent work, its main problem is simply that McIlrath sounds tired and bored as he’s singing. The same goes for “Dirt and Roses”, "Sight Unseen" and “Historia Calamitatum”; they’re just boring mainstream rock songs that lack personality.

Overall, if you’re a Rise Against fan, Long Forgotten Songs is a compilation that you need to get. Many of the band’s fan favorites and hidden gems are included here, from the hardcore punk tunes reminiscent of the band’s first two albums, to the Sufferer-era of blending hardcore and mainstream rock perfectly together. Twenty-six songs may seem a bit much for a rarities compilation, but most of these songs are completely worth your time. These are the long forgotten songs, and daughters who don’t belong to anyone.

Foo Fighters Sonic HighwaysBush Man on the Run
Yellowcard Lift a SailTove Lo Queen of the Clouds
O.A.R. The Rockville LPDream Theater When Dream and Day Unite

September 9th 2013

20247 Comments

album coming out tomorrow; not sure if i need to post stream link, will still do so in case:

JazzHands333
September 9th 2013

Sweet, I should probably jam this cause RPM, SSotCC, and TS&TW are all amazing in my book

Also their cover of "Ballad of Hollis Brown" slays

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

Funeralopolis
September 10th 2013

Most of these songs have already been around for years and many of them are excellent.

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

blastOFFitsPARTYtime
September 10th 2013

Nice, but yeah pretty sure I've heard every single one of these elsewhere.

Haven't listened to any Rise for ages, though. Will have to rectify for old times' sake.

slimdaddy
September 10th 2013

I'm so excited to sit down and listen to this

Digging: The Bennies - Rainbows in Space

September 11th 2013

All my imported rise against albums are worthless now...

September 11th 2013

20247 Comments

i never even knew that some of these covers/songs were on other EPs or live albums

Rowan5215
September 12th 2013

"Rise Against have undoubtedly made a name for themselves as one of the best bands in the modern punk rock scene (forgetting that Appeal to Reason and Endgame ever happened)."
Nah Appeal to Reason rules hard

Owantjaaaa
September 12th 2013

Every song on this has been on another ep or album, except for Death Blossoms, little boxes and the RATM cover

Digging: Polar - Iron Lungs

Pndi
October 5th 2013

yeah Appeal To Reason was actually decent, Endgame should've been scrapped though

October 10th 2013

I agree, Endgame was their weakest entry. The album is somewhat of a chore to listen through.

October 10th 2013

20247 Comments

don't listen to it in one sitting though. it's 80 minutes long. it's meant to be listened one song at a time

October 11th 2013

I was talking about Endgame. Long Forgotten Songs is only good for like, 4 songs, other than that, I have all of those tracks on other cd's.

fallenbird
February 28th 2014

Endgame> Appeal To Reason. Anyway I can't help but smile at their cover of Any Way You Want It.

Digging: As Tall As Lions - As Tall As Lions

February 28th 2014

Endgame > Appeal to Reason, but not by much

I love Any way you want it

TooManyFriends
April 19th 2014

Grammatizator is such a fucking banger

May 5th 2014

love that song

May 12th 2014

20247 Comments

The new single is called "I Don't Want to Be Here Anymore", and should be out tomorrow.

Owantjaaaa
May 13th 2014

I hope it's a hardcore punk song about not wanting to play radio rock anymore..

May 27th 2014