Conducting From the Grave
Conducting from the Grave

by cisumkintups USER (2 Reviews)
September 9th, 2013 | 31 replies | 7,362 views

Release Date: 10/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: When I heard that they were adopting the 7-string drop A trend, I was mortified. 30 seconds into "Honor Guide Me!" changed that immediately.

I think it goes without saying that Conducting From The Grave is one of the most talented bands in the metalcore/deathcore scene. Their dual-guitar melodies, use of odd scales, their rare breakdown passages, and their never-ending ability to write well-crafted solos has made them stand out for awhile. However, when I heard that they were adopting the 7-string drop A trend, I was mortified. 30 seconds into "Honor Guide Me!" changed that immediately.
The music has taken a heavier turn for sure. While this is the first time they have implemented clean vocals, these songs contain more buildups and breakdowns than any of their previous albums. They have always had the ability to lead from one passage of a song to the next both swiftly and comfortably without throwing off the listener and they still do it well. An example of a rather nice breakdown would be the ending of Lycan.
This album definitely contains the best production quality in their discography. The bass isn't as audible as it was on When Legends Become Dust though. The drums are powerful and and very evenly mixed. The vocals sit on top of the mix well but aren't overbearing. The guitars, though. The guitars are just perfection. Every single note is heard perfectly but not overly-produced like Within The Ruins. It is truly a delight to be able to hear everything perfectly as opposed to many bands in this genre.
Every song is very well-written. "Signs" has their signature dual-guitar harmony build up similar to "The Skies are Blackened..." from When Legends Become Dust. Surprisingly, a new driving force on this album is the superior lyricism. The same song "Signs" seems to take an either religious or political turn with the lines: "Our world, this place engulfed in our bloodshed, ir our arrogant attempt at controlling what we are. So now, we take our shots in the dark to justify the reasons, but this is who we are...".
If metalcore/deathcore has always been a genre you could sleep through then let this album change your mind. Conducting From The Grave have outdone pretty much every great metalcore/deathcore album. Outdoing Born of Osiris' "The Discovery, The Contortionist's "Exoplanet", and The Faceless' "Planetary Duality".
Recommended Tracks: Signs, Into The Rabbit Hole, and Tyrant.

September 9th 2013

Don't know what's up with the album artwork. Check out the singles.
Into The Rabbit Hole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVa5zAamVTU
Honor Guide Me!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vOhy8f2HwY
Don't take the review down, CFTG gave me permission to listen and review the album.

September 9th 2013

Damn the album is actually called "self titled"? That's kind of stupid...

Digging: Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead

FrozenVain
September 9th 2013

The artwork shouldn't be that hard to fix. You should also rename the album Conducting From the Grave instead of Self Titled. Decent review overall, pos'd.

botb
September 9th 2013

album isnt out yet, this will get deleted

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

Mister Twister
September 9th 2013

Save the review in a Word document, since this is almost a month off it's likely to be deleted, given that there are no streams that I'm aware of.

ianjulian

change your mind

MetalNerdMikey
September 11th 2013

Guys chill, I gave him permission to put this review up.

MetalNerdMikey
September 11th 2013

I also told him to be completely honest with it, glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for the awesome review. Cant wait to see more opinions on it when it comes out.

bam^

DeadGuy
September 11th 2013

this shit fucking rules so far

Digging: Smoke DZA - Dream.Zone.Achieve

September 12th 2013

Wow this is pretty solid stuff.

Greyvy

this cant be good

Digging: This Ascension - Light And Shade

Nikkolae
September 12th 2013

amazed about how solid this is, god i've not listened to deathcore in ages it seems

Digging: Corrupted - Paso Inferior

ThenamesTrenton
September 13th 2013

holy shit this is really good

September 16th 2013

Yeah, this like isn't me being biased or anything i was kinda nervous after revenants came out but this shit is insane

corycantrell

really digging this

DeadGuy

Yea Revenants suckedddddd

It's like new Stray From The Path. Both bands had a good album, then the next one was horrible then they came back strong as hell

Hockeytown
September 19th 2013

good review up till you said it tops exoplanet and planetary duality. no sir

Digging: Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion

Solbrave
September 20th 2013

I don't think it tops Exoplanet, but this album is really solid. I'm very impressed.

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

Asmodeuss1990
September 20th 2013

So fucking good holy shit this blows away Revenants.