The Gabriel Construct
Interior City

by Grayson Hale USER (30 Reviews)
September 7th, 2013 | 9 replies | 749 views

Release Date: 04/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sputnikmusic: we care about our summaries

There is an interesting duality to experimental music. On the one hand, artists are pushing every imaginable boundary to try and break new ground, in a world where anyone with money and a larynx can become a superstar. Gone are the days of musical integrity; ‘cashing in’ has become the biggest trend now. The other side to experimentalism is, of course, that there is seldom anyone paying enough attention to appreciate it.

But the Gabriel Construct’s sprawling debut, Interior City, is not an album that asks for your attention – it demands it. Right from the strange, mesmerizing ambience that opens the record, you are sucked into a world that is very unlike the one in which we live. With a concept that revolves around overcoming our mental programming and regaining our self-respect, there can be no better soundscape than one which enables us to imagine that such events would even be possible.

Midway through the captivating opener is the first appearance of Gabriel Lucas Riccio’s vocals. While being perhaps the most polarizing aspect of this release, “Arrival in a Distant Land” is also a great example of how well his voice fits the music. Despite initially seeming quite intrusive, once you get used to the sound of the vocals they really add to the atmosphere. “Ranting Prophet” is a definite highlight in this regard, Riccio’s voice growing more and more impatient as the track wears on, eventually breaking into frustrated screaming.

Interior City’s midsection does a fantastic job of establishing the atmosphere, with plenty of psychedelic and jazzy avant-rock pieces. However, the biggest standouts are those towards the latter half, with “Languishing in Lower Chakras” being a particularly noteworthy moment. In what can perhaps best be described as an experimental dark ambient piece, “Languishing...” is quite simply one of the best ‘interlude’ tracks I have ever heard, creating a tense mood ahead of the epic closer.

“Curing Somatization” is one of the most chaotic and disorientating songs on the album and yet it also feels like the most complete realisation of Riccio’s vision. Starting off with a jazzy prog-rock section akin to something from The Mars Volta (even the song title seems to point to a direct influence), before moving through a variety of different genres to its stunning conclusion, “Curing Somatization” is the perfect way to end this unique and spellbinding record.

In a world that favours conformity above all else, The Gabriel Construct will perhaps never receive the hype it deserves. But maybe, just maybe, we can break free from our brainwashed states long enough to appreciate a brilliant piece of art such as this.

The Lost Poets InsubordiaGodhead The Shadow Realigned
Gumshen ProgtronicaMonks of Mellonwah Turn the People
Sound Strider Intrepid Travels EPMarla Mase Speak Deluxe
AnimalsAsSummit (4.5)
Welcome home! This is your home now....

Calc

horribly pretentious summary

good review and good album. I had to work to appreciate this one

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

Cygnatti

Me too. :3

SAPoodle
September 7th 2013

Screw it man, it ties in with the album concept. Pretentious or not, it works

Funeralopolis

dat summary

Digging: Banks - Goddess

Calc
September 7th 2013

and by the way this sounds in no way shape or form like periphery, it just has travis orbin featured as the drummer who was in periphery for like a day.

froghawk
September 8th 2013

Well, a couple years... as was Tom Murphy (the bassist on this album). And it was mixed/mastered by Taylor Larson, who did Periphery II. But yeah, definitely no musical relation whatsoever haha.

Thanks for reviewing the album, Grayson - I'm glad you're enjoying it!

AnimalsAsSummit
September 8th 2013

great review. the only real complaint i started to have about this album is i wish the production was different in certain places

Digging: Volcanic Queen - Sullen Empire

Mad.
September 8th 2013

Sounds interesting, and review was good but read like more of a 4.5-5 than a 4, as well as being a bit short and unstructured.

@Calc Fuck your avatar man, it gives me a headache

Digging: Anubis - Hitchhiking to Byzantium

froghawk
September 8th 2013

AAS: So do I. If I get the chance to remix & remaster it someday, I'll probably take it. Definitely made some mistakes there, but I've learned from them.