Reflections Of Ruin
Rebirth

good

by Esoteric USER (9 Reviews)
September 7th, 2013 | 18 replies | 899 views

Release Date: 06/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A very solid deathcore release that is liquefied by stereotypical flaws throughout.

The first time I heard Reflections of Ruin’s Rebirth was during a period when I was searching for a new melodic/technical deathcore. And to my surprise, Rebirth actually does its fair lion share of potential that I was looking for. It contains a very promising performance of an underground band that continues to rise, with a couple of rough edges that needs to be worked on to.

As mighty as it can be, Rebirth is an EP of melodic riffing onslaught, churned-out solo sections, and impending slaughter of soaring high screams and menacing gutturals. The Aussie quintet continues to show their strong potential, as they begin to harness pretty interesting musical elements throughout Rebirth. The intensive song writing as well as the highly-engaging vocals is a very nifty addition on their latest release. The flexible chord progressions throughout is present, and the heavy pounding drums covered each and every song very well.

Reflections of Ruin takes on an highly-focused instrumental approach on Rebirth, as the band generally spawned a deathcore material with subtle hints of melodic death metal. From the tasteful riffs delivered on the album-titled track “Rebirth,” and fast-paced guitar work and fierce drumming on “Hollow,” it is an unparalleled delivery of intricate potential the band possess. The vocals are arguably Reflections of Ruin’s secret weapon; the evil shrieking and astounding low growls seems to suit the album’s cosmic atmosphere very well. Rebirth is melodic yet very heavy at the same time, considering its numerous augmentations. “Purgatory” is a very solid track and perhaps one of Rebirth’s fantastic moments, as the track essentially provides progressive musical style and unbelievably catchy guitar work that is strong enough to represent the album’s abruption of a closer.

The main problem lies on its constant, mindless breakdowns. It is a melodic and a highly technical release but heavily plagued by out of place chugging sections. Breakdown seems to halt the momentum of the record. It is a common flak and to some extent, a cliché, that multitude of bands always use. The intimacy to the said musical gimmick abomination is rather painfully extraordinary, and it always perplexes me that in the whole runtime, Reflections of Ruin always feel the urgency to resort to breakdowns. It does occasionally work, but when used too much it seems to disjoint the song itself, or the record as a whole. Take “Initiate,” the introductory track as an example. It is a full minute of plain numbing breakdowns and it really doesn’t work at all. It is a very unpleasant start for the record that could destroy the album’s whole impression, which is a shame as the band is capable of writing good deathcore material.

Hopefully, it is now the time for the band to grow as a more versatile band and to begin strapping off their breakdown gimmicks, to perfectly settle and focus on their melodic death metal/deathcore roots and approach. Perhaps on the near future we are expecting a remarkable release from them, gone perfectly the stereotypical flaws that mercilessly plagued them before.

Erra AugmentMercenary Through Our Darkest Days
The Browning HypernovaHuman Improvement Process Deafening Dissonant Millennium
Rogue Empire OverlordBorn Of Osiris Tomorrow We Die Alive
2.8
good

September 7th 2013

A really short review. Hello Sputnikers! Constructive criticism is welcome as always. Cheers!

September 7th 2013

lol short review. I really love your summary. Might give this a listen, cover art is very cool. Other than that, good review. Pos'd.

hogan900
September 7th 2013

This is a pretty good review, I'll give a pos.

September 7th 2013

thanks man, i really appreciate that. if you're kinda into deathcore and can tolerate breakdowns, you might want to check this one.

Decayingmajesty

pos

September 7th 2013

thanks mate! cheers. im excited for your next review!

September 7th 2013

I listened to a song or two from this a few days ago, but I legitimately can't remember a thing about them.

September 7th 2013

oh, i see. perhaps this EP is a no-go for you. haha

September 7th 2013

just listened to it. rating is quite accurate, this is 2.5-3. it has it's moments.

September 7th 2013

I don't remember it being bad at all, it was just that nothing stood out to me. I'll probably give it another listen, though. I actually do like deathcore in doses as long as it is groups that don't overuse teh br00tuhl breakdownz.

September 7th 2013

@trent, yes it has it's moments.

justin, you really like deathcore? i might shoutbox you for recs m/.

September 7th 2013

Yeah, I actually do. Like Animosity, Glass Casket, The Red Chord, Despised Icon, All Shall Perish, April Becomes Me kinda groups.

September 7th 2013

Alright, relistening to this, and 1:10 to about 3:00 in the title track is pretty cool.

September 7th 2013

yes mate, that part is really cool. oh and check out purgatory, especially the ending part. m/.

September 7th 2013

i really liked that part.

TheGreatQ
September 7th 2013

It seems like you threw in completely random adjectives constantly, that added nothing to the review and actually got annoying.

"lion potential" "quirky rough" "purposely worked" "rebellious gutturals" "impeccable slaughter" "impeccable potential" "flexible chord progressions" "tactfully covered" "separately stylistic" "semi-perpetual" "tenacious technical" "great, remarkable"

There are also tons of grammatical errors.

Very well said, Q. Thanks mate. Review edited on 9.7.2013

LivingThrowaway
September 16th 2013

There are sections of this review that read very awkwardly and there are grammatical errors littered throughout. It isn't a bad review, it just needs a lot of polishing.

Grammar:

You seem to get "is" and "are" muddled up in multiple areas e.g. "The vocals is arguably...."

This "is" should be an "are" as vocals is plural not singular.

Also there are a few typos e.g. "past-paced guitar work"

I believe here you may have meant fast-paced?

Awkward Reading/Strange Phrasing:

"The Aussie quintet harnessed their potential, from the intensive song writing, the highly-engaging vocals, and the musicianship on the album is well-implemented and diverse."

This sentence reads really awkwardly, especially towards the end.

You don't have to fix them but, over time as you improve, try to erase these sort of things from your writing. Still it is a decent review as you described the pros and cons of the album competently.