Antediluvian
λόγος

by Jacquibim CONTRIBUTOR (57 Reviews)
September 6th, 2013 | 20 replies

Release Date: 01/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Antediluvian return to immerse us in another blackened disarray that satisfies the primal lust for all things evil

Antediluvian’s dense, grimy, festering style of death metal can appropriately be compared to drowning. Moreover it would like drowning in a tar pit – you unwittingly stumble into the thick muck, beginning to panic as you attempt to reach for any nearby object to pull yourself out, else you face an agonising doom. As you attempt to make your way to the edge of the blackened reservoir you descend deeper and deeper with every step, before stumbling and slowly sinking as the sludge envelops your being and ultimately consumes you.

Antediluvian create a churning maelstrom of suffocating fog in the vein of Portal and Mitochondrion, and more than hold a candle to their contemporaries. Direct, attention-grabbing riffs are nowhere to be found, instead substituted by a blackened death barrage of fluctuating tremolo strumming and wailing pinch harmonics. There is virtually no build-up in the opening track bar a brief sample of what sounds like a demonic conjuration. You’re then caught totally off guard by a filthy, besmirching riff and some otherworldly guttural mumblings, courtesy of a man whose alias I have no idea how to pronounce. The music from this point on is utterly relentless, allowing small moments to breathe, but only with the malevolent intention of showing you what you’re missing and amplifying the torture. The music is cluttered and characteristically brutal, but not in cliché sense that is perpetuated by many bands today. Even down to the band’s name, Antediluvian demonstrate a distinct artistic vision, with an attention to detail to match. Unlike many bands of today which opt for names like “Splinterdick Gorefuck” or whatever, these guys are named after the period in biblical scripture which leads up to the destruction of mankind by virtue of The Deluge – seems fairly appropriate then?

The music isn’t meant to entertain but to immerse and disturb, deliberately oversaturating the listener and testing their commitment. Despite the album’s brevity (clocking in at barely 33 minutes), you will feel relieved once it’s all over, only left with an agonising case of bloodlust. The maddening tumult of dexterous drumming, sordid riffs and deranged vocals that defy comprehension is addictive, which is impressive considering how initially uninviting it is. The album largely forgoes the more memorable doomy sections of their debut and is instead dominated by abundant tempo shifts and rhythmic complexity. This coupled with the intentionally “poor” production means the album is very unwelcoming to all but the most devoted. The instruments are fashioned with just enough clarity to be deciphered after many, many listens but absolutely nothing could be described as “immediate”. The album is thus very gratifying once it’s fleshed out nonetheless will no doubt be dismissed at a whim by certain listeners as “just noise”. But Antediluvian are not here to please everyone, or anyone for that matter, and this is what makes their latest album such a fascinating, if occasionally frustrating listen.

With their latest release, Antediluvian have cemented their place as among the forerunners in the new school of ultra-murky blackened death acts. Through the intelligent use of sub-par sound engineering, these guys have succeeded in creating a hellish aesthetic whilst weaving an impressive level of intricacy into their chaotic compositions. A challenging and rewarding experience, this album is recommended for anyone a fan of all things gloomy and perverse.

Reverorum Ib Malacht De Mysteriis Dom ChristiDecapitated Blood Mantra
Bolzer SomaOpeth Pale Communion
Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsKrusseldorf Fractal World

September 6th 2013

Constructive criticisms welcome, hope you like the review!

Digging: Off Minor - The Heat Death of the Universe

PunchforPunch
September 6th 2013

"The music isn’t meant to entertain but to immerse and disturb, deliberately over-saturating the listener and testing their commitment."

well said man. Through the Cervix of Hawaah is beast, prob will check this next week.

Cheers man.

Yeah, not sure if I like that or this more.

evilford
September 6th 2013

"Moreover it would like drowning in a tar pit"

be ;]

"It may seem appropriate them,"

"The album is thus very gratifying once it’s fleshed out nonetheless will no doubt be dismissed at a whim by certain listeners as “just noise”."

this seems like it should be two different sentences...

good rev tho pos'd. have the cervix of hawahhhh on my ipod, gotta listen soon and get this

Digging: Burial (NL) - Relinquished Souls

Thanks Ford, better?

evilford

perfecto

VisionsFromTheDarkSide
September 6th 2013

Review is m/ as fuck, pos from me

Digging: Maveth / Embrace of Thorns - A Plague Through the Heavens

Solid review Jac.

The album is thus very gratifying once it’s fleshed out. Nonetheless, it will no doubt be dismissed at a whim by certain listeners as “just noise”.

This is a valid criticism though, even by my standards (the noisier, the better). I wouldn't say it's noisey, it's the lack of variation that Cervix had and it kind of drones a little too long.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

September 6th 2013

Yeah I made note of the absence of doomy sections compared to Cervix, but I think it works. Then again a style as precarious as this isn't gonna work for everyone.

Thanks for the comment.

19502 Comments

No prob! You've earned your way into the death metal brethren around here : ).

Gonna give this another shot since I find it unfair to rate this after a couple of scattered listens.

September 6th 2013

Oh my I feel so honoured! New Vasaeleth just finished downloading so I'll be playing that over the next few days.

19502 Comments

I've been a dinky around here the past few weeks, least I could do! hahaha

19918 Comments

nice review

Digging: Transit - Joyride

Hawks
September 6th 2013

Nice review as always dude. Sad to say I didn't like this album at all though. Biggest disappointment of the year for me. :[

somnolence
September 6th 2013

disappointing given the aforegiven quality of adversial Split, great review.

somnolence
September 6th 2013

i mean proportion evil =/= good

September 7th 2013

Really good review man. You brought out some great points in this review while staying unbiased. I also appreciated your detail in thoughtful adjectives. Your review makes me want to at least hear this. Pos'd.

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

September 7th 2013

Thanks Cap, and yeah, definitely check this out.

19502 Comments

Who negged this? Come out you bitchface coward.

September 7th 2013

Dunno, I must have enemies.