Yellowcard
Southern Air

by Rice303 USER (12 Reviews)
September 6th, 2013 | 12 replies | 777 views

Review Summary: A brilliantly crafted, honest, true Yellowcard album

As my first review, I decided to start with a album I have loved since first listen and there has been no better album besides this juggernaut of an album, that came at a time when pop-punk has started losing it's grip on honesty.

Southern Air, is practically a breath of (mind the pun) fresh air in terms of songwriting, musicianship, structure, vocals and length. Beginning with the very true and well written emo-punk anthem Awakening, the song starts off the album in one of the best ways it can and the song stays true to the band despite the grown up lyrics, another really good thing about this opening is that even people who aren't ones to connect with lyrics will simply enjoy the fast pace and structure, Awakening is as perfect a emo-punk as Jimmy Eat World's 'Blister' Or 'Work' and it allows expectations to start off high.

The next song Surface Of The Sun starts off like the band have turned hardcore and it was originally my favorite track off the album, it sounds heavier and still delivers it's theme as good as the rest of the tracks, after listening to this track I was hooked and eventually began to realize every track has reasons to be heard, weather it as simple as it's lyrics, or a fast paced violin solo (Always Summer) or even to remember and give cheers to the youth you once had, Southern Air is simply one of the most re playable and amazing pop-punk releases in the last few years and it comes across of one of my favorite albums of all time. It seems Jimmy Eat World, Say Anything and Weezer have been surpassed and that Yellowcard still remain on the throne for one of the most unique bands of the genre.

Explosions in the Sky The Earth is Not a Cold Dead PlaceArmor For Sleep What To Do When You Are Dead
Adema AdemaThrowdown Intolerance
Chaos Divine AvalonEye Empire Evolve

EddieMarais
September 6th 2013

Won't downvote as this is your first review, but needs a little more detail - well written, but you only really focus on two songs rather than the album as a whole. If this is "one of your favourite albums of all time", then I think you'd have a little more to say about it. Again, however, this is well written, so have a pos'.

toxin.
September 6th 2013

Reading SowingSeason's and then read yours.

Notice the difference?

Clean up the grammar, and add more content. You said very little about the album, and you also sound way too young to be making generalizations about the genre.

NeoSpaz
September 6th 2013

basically take the above into account and consider fleshing it out a bit

not bad though

Minus.
September 6th 2013

"Here I Am Alive" is pretty annoying, but I liked a few other songs off this.

ericu03
September 6th 2013

A really short review mate. Btw I really love Sleep in the snow in this record.

Millstone

neg

lol'd hard

joshieboy12345
September 7th 2013

Not a great review, needs to be longer. Introduction-Paragraph 1-Paragraph 2-Paragraph 3-Conclusion. Simple formula to follow when writing a review. Make sure you back up each point you make.

September 7th 2013

Cheers, I just wasn't quite sure where to go at certain points, it can sometimes be hard to sum up a lot of reason to like/hate something and extend them for a longer period of time, but thanks anyway

September 7th 2013

Hmm, glad to be getting a lot of constructive criticism here as well, I wasn't really the most focused I could have been, I think next time I go for a review I'll see how much I can think to say about it first, but I really do just find this album very replayable, I was generally trying to avoid the track by track style of writing but It'd probably be easier and longer looking back now.

loyalroyal
September 7th 2013

Absolutely love this album. I loved the album before this one as well, when you're through thinking say yes. They just have so much honesty in their lyrics and so much melody, its a joy to listen to. I pos'd for you too

September 7th 2013

Thanks Loyal, I know my review isn't great, but I'll get better over time as everyone usually does.