Gemini Syndrome
Lux

by pizzamachine USER (213 Reviews)
September 5th, 2013 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A solid debut, if lacking ingenuity.

I personally hear shades of Allele and A Perfect Circle in Gemini Syndrome’s hard rock/alternative metal sound - mine is but one opinion against a sea of endless squabble. Gemini Syndrome is new to the game, Lux is their debut, and people are already making band comparisons like no tomorrow. These comparisons are warranted, not as describing factors for a sound, but as a response to the band’s apparent inability to stand out. I will say one thing though, Lux rocks. The way they present themselves, with dynamism and conviction, is the band’s mark, and it’s good enough to make a solid debut.

Monstrous guitar parts and even screams fill Lux, but the album is equally melodic. Nothing new here, just the same generic hard rock/alternative metal structure, with heavier riffs and a darker feel in verses only to break into accessible, harmonious choruses. It’s the kind of stuff that will easily get radio play, but it still rocks. Their sound is massive, Lux is an incredibly loud album, and sounds like it was recorded in a hellish chamber in Dark Souls. The mix is clearly too muddy and is actually quite terrible, but somehow adds to the band’s metal attitude. It’s a cheap trick but it ultimately gives Gemini Syndrome the edge they need. It can’t disguise, however, their aptitude for generic songs (ex: ‘Stardust’, ‘Mourning Star’ and ‘Take This’). It’s on the metal side where they find their stride, especially when they’re playing darker songs like ‘Resurrection’ and ‘Left of Me’ or the intense ‘Falling Apart’, an obvious highlight.

Since Gemini Syndrome is a youthful band, it’s understandable that Lux could have used more polish. Despite its issues, however, the album rocks hard, and is bound to make waves in the hard rock/alternative metal scene based on that fact alone. Lux is generally good fun, the kind of album to take with you while you’re driving and sing along to (if you’re into that). It’s a great album and an excellent appetizer as hard rock fans wait with feverish excitement for Ra’s upcoming album.

Shokran ExodusSevendust Kill the Flaw
Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Sirenia Perils of the Deep BlueRainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2

pizzamachine
September 5th 2013

Album stream: http://noisecreep.com/gemini-syndrome-lux-exclusive-album-stream-premiere/

I haven't reviewed in a while so hope this doesn't read too shaky!

September 5th 2013

Good review/band name. Don't think this is lo-fi enough for me to listen though.

Digging: Root - The Book

Sapient.
September 11th 2013

they sound decent enough, but like you said in your review, they lack that identity that great bands need. I literally can't go to a review or a music video about these guys without seeing 5FDP and Disturbed comparisons

Apollo
September 12th 2013

Sounds like 5FDP but less douchy. Not bad though. Great review Pizza, good to see you reviewing. I'm overdue for a review myself.

FrozenVain
September 12th 2013

Gandalf is in this band so it has to be good. Really good review, man.

pizzamachine
September 12th 2013

haha yeah he got a crazy white beard goin on.

Thanks guys!

Mad.
September 12th 2013

Was just about to say that Gandalf is the frontman. Fuck yeah.

TheSupernatural
September 12th 2013

Saw them live last year, going to see them again this weekend. Decent enough although that guitar tone is grating live.

renegadestrings
September 12th 2013

all of the song titles sound like they were ripped straight off a Chimaira or Spineshank album. 17yr old me would approve.

scary enough, so far, so does 26yr old me. not too bad for a debut

Epicenter
September 12th 2013

Damn, that beard is bitchin'.

MO
September 14th 2013

21937 Comments

knew this was pizza

flebber
September 23rd 2013

It doesn't sound bad, but then you do start to fall asleep. No surprises.