From First to Last
Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has a Body Count

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (100 Reviews)
September 4th, 2013 | 59 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Even if I spent 2013 listening to From First To Last in my car, I'm better off alone, than I would be in your arms

Albums in My Car: A Retrospective Review Series - Part 3

It's crazy how fast From First To Last fizzled out. They were one of the biggest post-hardcore bands around when Sonny Moore was fronting them, and then he left, and now his electronic project Skrillex is a household name and From First To Last are all but forgotten. Dear Diary was a pretty big album in 2004, kids in high schools across America were learning acoustic guitar because of "Emily" (I know I was). Post Glassjaw/Thrice/At The Drive-In bands like From First To Last basically just rebranded Thrice's sound while making it poppier, but so what? It's a guilty pleasure album, it's really catchy, and I like to sing along to it.

Hey what's up with post-hardcore/pop-punk bands always having a drummer that's way too good for them? Seriously, Derek Bloom slays on every single track, and this album along with Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses by Atreyu really got me into drums. The rest of the band don't quite live up to the drummer, but they're good enough. Sonny's vocals are raw as all hell and occasionally out of tune (which is great for emo fans like myself) but you gotta cut him some slack as he was only 16 at the time of recording. Lyrics like these are even messier than the vocals:

How do I address a letter to my generation? "Sonny" she said, "save yourself the postage."

Even if I spent 2004 listening to Morrissey in my car, I'm better off alone, than I would be in your arms

My God are these lyrics cheesy, but I don't care because cheese is delicious and it's high in calcium. There's a surprising attention to detail in the production which makes Dear Diary a great headphone album, as there's always something interesting going on between the completely panned left and right guitar parts.

If you're a couple years older and got into post-hardcore between 2000-2002 when it was still slightly respectable you'll probably hate this and think it's "Thrice with gay vocals," but from my point of view, Dear Diary is a great album that has aged surprisingly well. Maybe it's because of how much worse mainstream post-hardcore is now, or maybe this just hit me at the right age, or maybe it's just really good, but whatever the case may be, I know I'll keep jamming this in my car, singing along and having a great time.

Main Attrakionz 808s and Dark Grapes IIIEmpire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) What It Takes to Move Forward
From First to Last Dead TreesDance Gavin Dance Instant Gratification
Title Fight HyperviewModest Mouse The Lonesome Crowded West
John weathered old reviewer Hanson EMERITUS (2.5)

StormX (4)

megalodon (3.5)
"Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Body Count" may not be cutting edge or innovative but it's still da...

BrxxnAngxlRxsnxr (3.5)

September 4th 2013

I got into H.H and I Am Ghost in 04 but never this band.

Digging: World's End Girlfriend - Dream's End Come True

Don't judge me

September 4th 2013

How can I when I'm in the same boat as you for 03/04 popcore.

We are blood brothers

NapalmCrusader

Fuck this band.

It's pretty great

Summary hits the feels. :'[

Digging: Elysia Crampton - American Drift

September 4th 2013

god damn it trevor do you ever proofread

September 4th 2013

Ugh when I was a pop punk kid, everyone and their mother were into shitty metalcore and post hardcore. Thank god I never had a post hardcore stage.

Ecnalzen
September 4th 2013

I've never heard or had any interest in this band, so this question isn't directed towards FFTL at all, but are there modern post-hardcore bands that get the Cygnatti stamp of approval?

September 4th 2013

Listen to 1989 - 1989 on bandcamp. Now.

September 4th 2013

the peak is never passed

demigod!

ride the wings of death

September 4th 2013

andcas why do you dig every gay album ever

TheGreatQ
September 4th 2013

"My God are these lyrics cheesy, but I don't care because cheese is delicious and its high in calcium. "

I love this

Digging: Dark Sermon - The Oracle

September 4th 2013

"god damn it trevor do you ever proofread"

Tell me what is wrong my friend

September 4th 2013

haha just a couple of very minor gripes

summary is missing an 'I'

while making it popper

poppier

cheese is delicious and its high in calcium

it's

respectable you probably hate this

you'll (idk this could stay as 'you' but makes more sense as 'you'll'

fun review though made me chuckle

Thanks buddy

np

might jam this, interested to hear this dude before he became skrill

NapalmCrusader
September 4th 2013

Hated sonny moore before he became the most overexpossed brostep act ever, also this band is just at
the same level of groups like alesana, aiden, escape the fate, drop dead gorgeus and stuff like that.
Nothing too care about