Wedrujacy Wiatr
Tam, Gdzie Miesiac Oplakuje Swit

by Frederick Metzengerstein USER (202 Reviews)
September 4th, 2013 | 67 replies | 3,171 views

Release Date: 06/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Midnight In Paris of black metal.......

Wędrujący Wiatr is a modern Polish black metal band that recently turned my world upside down with their stunning debut "Tam, gdzie Miesiąc opłakuje Świt". Translating roughly into wandering wind, Wędrujący Wiatr play a spiritual form of black metal that takes great influence from their Polish landscape and folklore. Additionally, musical influences from Europe's mid to late 90's scene and America's current scene can be felt heavily throughout this fourty one minute recording. I guess you could say that this is a blend of the old and the new. As evidenced by the album's stunning naturalistic artwork you get the impression that Wędrujący Wiatr play a heavily romanticized strain of black metal not unlike Drudkh, early Ulver or Wolves in the Throne Room. If you got that feeling, like me, then you are correct. Wędrujący Wiatr's style of black metal is not evil, misanthropic or grim in any kind of way. In fact, to me, I feel their sound flirts endlessly between the lines of sorrow and optimism. Through it all, Wędrujący Wiatr hold the spirit of 90's black metal in their hearts of hands.

The album features only five songs yet stretches out to forty one minutes of material. In that given time span Wędrujący Wiatr construct some expansive and surprisingly engaging black metal that never loses it's momentum. The core techniques of the traditional atmospheric black metal genre can be found in the shape of tremolo picking, anguished screams and gritty production. Also found is synth, acoustic guitar and animal/nature sound effects which help compliment the melancholy nature of the music. Although not original by any means, Wędrujący Wiatr are talented musicians and songwriters who inject the music with plenty of personality and heart and consistently keep the music interesting. This album is made possible by the strong chemistry of W. and Razor who to me seems like they've been writing music together for more than a decade. The duo have a penchant for just writing good songs. Everything from the soft/heavy transitions to the nature effects sound natural and cohesive. The emotion of the music is genuine and as a bleeding heart romanticist myself, I have no complaints or shame of being a bleeding heart romanticist listening to bleeding heart romantic music.

I first heard this album not too long ago ago but I knew immediately upon listening that this would end in my top ten album list at the end of the year. And for that I highly recommend this album to anyone looking to get into black metal without all the posturing Satanic shenanigans. Fans of Cascadian black metal will love this as will the fans of early Ulver, Drudkh, Primordial and early Satyricon so all I can say is give this a spin.

So Hideous Last Poem/First Light13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the Worm
Theophany Time's End: Majora's Mask RemixedAt Dawn They Sleep Red Sun
Black Magick SS PanzerwitchMadonna True Blue

ShadowRemains

20256 Comments

some good shit right here

kyle you need to hear this

like now

September 4th 2013

All these assholes sleeping on this album.

TheSpirit

hey

Digging: vhmnt / blsphm - vhmnt / blsphm

fine fine i'll listen

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

September 4th 2013

Oh, so you were avoiding it then.....dickhead.

September 4th 2013

I still love you though.

greg84
September 4th 2013

More Polish music on Sputnik!

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

damn this is good

September 4th 2013

With artwork that good the music couldn't fail.

RIP brother.......

there was literally a 0.0000000001% chance that you wouldn't like it

agreed

Voivod
September 4th 2013

Great review, sounds like something I would dig, since I worship Ulver and Primordial too.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

RobbaqPL
September 4th 2013

In case anyone's curious: the title of the album translates to "Where the moon mourns/weeps over dawn". Except "miesiąc" is an extremely archaic way to call the moon (it usually translates to "month").

Good deal.

great summary

greg84
September 4th 2013

"Except "miesiąc" is an extremely archaic way to call the moon (it usually translates to "month")."

I didn't know that. Thank you good sir.

Evreaia
September 5th 2013

great stuff, checked it out last week

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

turnip90210
September 5th 2013

I guess this merits a go. I don't care much for black metal or music from my homeland (no clue why, but I somehow have less respect for Polish bands), but you've piqued my interest.

September 5th 2013

Must be because every other Polish bm band has a beef with the jews.