Haken
The Mountain

by Adam USER (1 Reviews)
September 4th, 2013 | 91 replies

Release Date: 09/02/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Haken have reached the summit.

It’s somewhat common knowledge- and perhaps even cliche- that in life, everyone has their own personal mountains to climb. Whether it be relationships, the economy, the job market, or even personal issues, humanity is in constant turmoil trying to scale the hardship-laden trek known as life. Sometimes it seems as though the world is a monotonous, wearying place. It might seems as though there’s no solace or reprieve from the dreariness. It is this struggle that Haken examines on The Mountain.

After coming off of the somewhat high critical praise of their last two albums, Aquarius and Visions, Haken had their own personal mountain to climb. With their third release, they had expectations to meet, and hopefully, surpass. With their sophomore album, Visions, Haken proved that they had the talent to create excellent progressive metal- however, it was somewhat visible on that album that without the right decisions Haken could easily fall into the traps of progressive metal and lose the spark of creativity that made Aquarius feel so fresh. With The Mountain, Haken pushes past those proverbial pitfalls and creates an album that feels new and inspiring in the realm of progressive metal.

From the very start of the album, we are introduced to a different sort of Haken. The opener, 'The Path', begins with a beautiful piano melody that eventually builds to complement Ross Jennings’ vocals. Paired with inspiring, somewhat philosophical lyrics, The Path serves its purpose well, introducing a theme- both lyrically and musically- that continues throughout the entire album. This theme is reintroduced in 'Because It’s There', a gorgeous vocally-centric piece that begins a capella, building on Ross’s vocals by incorporating various harmonies. The lyrics are essentially the same as the ones sung during 'The Path', but done in a different, albeit interesting, way.

'Falling Back to Earth' continues this theme of attempting to climb the metaphorical mountain, although in a more negative way. Being the heaviest song on the album, it showcases Haken’s progressive metal prowess well, utilizing the concentrated vocal melodies paired with lyrics indicating hardship and perhaps failure with crushing guitars and a general feeling of uneasiness. A similar feeling is felt on 'Cockroach King', arguably the most quirky and eccentric song Haken has produced. Already commonly compared to Gentle Giant, 'Cockroach King' is an odd, off-beat song that is backed by a powerful chorus and a wavering melody that is unsettling, yet fun. The peculiar lyrics and the disconcerting atmosphere create a world of their own, and Haken lure the listener into this world with their storytelling prowess.

After repeated listens of The Mountain, it seems somewhat apparent that Haken really concentrated on the intensity of the vocals. Many of the songs are vocal centric; 'As Death Embraces' showcases Ross’s most emotional performance on a song thus far, while the previous mentioned 'Because It’s There' shows how much his vocal ability has improved since their demo. Album closer 'Somebody' is also a passionate affair, centering around a man who feels as though he lost his chance to be the person he truly believed he had a chance to be.

Haken could have gone in many different directions with this album, but centering the focus around beautiful melodies and lush soundscapes while still experimenting with new ideas and exploring new territory truly seems like the right decision. It would have been easy to create an album with the same structure and dynamic as Aquarius or Visions; however, Haken took the road less traveled and forged new ground. It stands that Haken have refined their songwriting ability, improved in almost every capacity, and shown the progressive realm that despite being relatively new to the scene that they are a force to be reckoned with. With The Mountain, Haken have reached the summit.

Joseph Newcomer (4.5)
"Adapt to this world, It's a chance we must take, We'll play our hand"...

Michael (5)
Bursting at the seams with creativity, The Mountain nails the fragility of the human condition while...

Matthew Hopkins (5)
Showing the world that progressive music can still have feeling....

afergusonart
September 4th 2013

First review here, been lurking (and commenting here and there) for a decent while now. Loved this album on first listen-- my rating up there is what I feel the real average should be, my 5 here is my prog fanboy rating.

So yeah, let me know what to work on and improve. I definitely want to write more in the future.

dante1991
September 4th 2013

Excellent album, the best prog album in years

Mongi123

Nice first review man

Digging: Rishloo - Living as Ghosts with Buildings as Teeth

mursu
September 4th 2013

Good review, pos'd. This album is good as well.

Digging: Oceansize - Effloresce

Friday13th
September 4th 2013

Sounds really great. I'll have to check it out after I'm done hearing this Kayo Dot nonsense.

Digging: Gnidrolog - Lady Lake

Wadlez

Kayo Dot awesomeness*

Friday13th

post-awesomeness haha

afergusonart
September 4th 2013

Thanks guys. Yeah it's an awesome album, I listen to it twice every day haha.

Hoppoman
September 5th 2013

Congrats on the feature, good work for a first review

JS19

nice first review

Digging: Low Roar - Low Roar

ksoflas
September 5th 2013

Fantastic review,way to go man. Pos'd.

Omaha
September 5th 2013

Nice work, man. Especially for a first review. Keep up the good work.

I can leave a more detailed comment with constructive criticism later, if you'd like!

Digging: Thou - Heathen

Keyblade
September 5th 2013

Hope this is good. Last one was meh

Digging: Sofia Gubaidulina - Chamber Music With Double Bass

StormChaser

Finally on the frontpage

Also a neat review. I'd just like it if you had mentioned Pareidolia as a highlight, since it's really
a blast from start to finish

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

JS19

BigPleb
September 5th 2013

This is sounding super sweet.

Digging: Arc Iris - Arc Iris

scissorlocked

didn't really amaze me

it's cool though that tracks like pareidolia make use of instruments like bouzouki!

StormChaser
September 5th 2013

I'd say you can only take all of it in and truly appreciate it after a lot of listens.

Emyay
September 5th 2013

"1 listen and this could easily be 'the best prog album in years'. It is that good"

damn gotta check this