Maneige
Les Porches

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (57 Reviews)
September 4th, 2013 | 19 replies

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An absolutely stunning gem hidden away in the vaults of progressive music.

Calling "Les Porches" a progressive rock album might be a bit of a stretch. In fact, most of the album sounds like it could be the soundtrack to a fantasy movie. However, as a soundtrack, it could stand up to the likes of Howard Shore or Hans Zimmer.

The album consists of 4 songs: two mammoth-sized epics (clocking in at 19 and 15 minutes) and two shorter track (1 and 4 minutes). Being largely instrumental, the band spend most of their time weaving together passages of piano, flute, saxophone, clarinet and many other instruments seamlessly switching from one style and mood to the next, much like a movie soundtrack would. The band mixes heavy classical influences with some folkier stylings and the occasional jazz and the end result is simply breathtaking. In fact, this "progressive rock" album features very little rock. However, when the rock aspect is utilised, the band manages to create epic climaxes of post-rock proportions as they spend long minutes slowly building the more "classical" instruments into an enormous crescendo that utilises the loudness of the rock as the ideal release.

"Les Porches" is a stunning album that sadly never managed to break through the underground back when it was released. It may not be the easiest prog album to sit through but it is a rewarding one. Although it may not appeal to all fans of progressive rock due to the small amount of actual "rock" elements, it is a treat for those not afraid of something truly "progressive".

All Them Witches Lightning At The DoorAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
Forteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe LégendesFuck the Facts Amer
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void

September 4th 2013

Keeping with the prog mood that has been sweeping sputnik

Digging: Svartidau?i - Flesh Cathedral

Nagrarok
September 4th 2013

Review may be a little short but it definitely needed one. A real prog gem indeed, still considering that 4.5.

September 4th 2013

I agree it looks short but I think it gives a good general overview of the sound in a direct, concise way (hope it doesn't sound like I'm tooting my own horn TOO much here haha).

I hope this gets a little attention though. I could see people that are into bands like Godspeed! digging this.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 4th 2013

For a second I was hoping of a French review by SCREAM. It's a Montréal band after all. Also, I am the one who gave this a 5.

September 4th 2013

Haha knew you'd show up here eventually! That french review was most likely a one time thing I had to do for a class. Unfortunately, almost no one here understands it.

Gotcha!

nice

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

TheCrocodile
September 4th 2013

I still need to hear this and that first Morse Code album...

Good project!

September 5th 2013

Have not heard anything by Morse Code. Guess I'll have to fix that. It's ridiculous how much great prog came out in the 70s

Hawks
September 5th 2013

Holy hell a Scream review nice.

September 5th 2013

There have been a couple of those recently haha (namely this one and the 2 before it)

@Scream; Morse Code - La Marche des Hommes

April 10th 2014

This one has 5 potential, if it grows enough. It's looking like a solid 4.5 atm.

bnelso55
April 26th 2014

Might have to bump this to a 5. Front to back, this is such a stellar album. I can't even think of any weak points.

Zero weaknesses, agreed.

bnelso55
April 26th 2014

How far did this make it in friday13th's elite prog contest? I kind of lost track. Hopefully it's still in the running. It at least needs to land somewhere near the top.

It's doing well.