God Is An Astronaut

good

by Eli EMERITUS
September 2nd, 2013 | 51 replies

Release Date: 09/16/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: God is an Astronaut introduce yet another pleasant, albeit unremarkable album to their passable discography.

After spending a good bit of time away from music, as both a critic and consumer, it struck me as surprising how easy it was to slide right into Origins. The latest from the Irish post-rock band God is and Astronaut is about as straight-laced and unassuming as they come; a by the numbers album that has no hurdles to overcome yet is comfortingly inviting in its accessibility. One could discuss the downfall or marginalization of all post-rock bands in regards to this sentiment, but really, Origins (and its creators as a whole) is a pleasant, albeit unremarkable, achievement.

God is an Astronaut will forever fly under the radar, and one cannot help but imagine that is becoming intentional. Playing a very straight forward brand of post-rock with a heavy emphasis on climaxes, the band has carved themselves a little niche thanks to some electronic elements a la 65daysofstatic. It’s become a tad trite at this point, however, despite the not so subtle flourishes that have been added to the sound. Yet, Origins keeps things interesting with relatively short songs featuring vivacious bursts of energy and rapidly changing dynamics. Much like their aforementioned inspiration, the band has introduced a poppy, almost dance-like feeling into their latest batch of songs. Selections such as “Transmissions” and “Signal Rays” have a definite toe tapping quality to them which keeps things moving along at a steady clip. Where the album fails is in its lack of truly compelling material. Yes, the sketchy electronic work is nice, but at times is feels like a mere attempt to flesh out some truly banal music. It’s neat. It really is, but for listeners who require a bit more, Origins will not likely yield much replay value.

God is an Astronaut’s recent endeavor is a tad difficult to talk about. While my time with it has been pleasant, I can’t help but feel entirely unfulfilled. What is lacks in astounding moments it makes up for with a steady and consistent stream of passable fare. Origins will find its fans, surely enough. As far as simplistic and generic post-rock goes it’s fantastically inoffensive. Yet with the face of the genre ever changing, God is an Astronaut and their sixth are slowly becoming a relic of the past.

Antemasque AntemasqueGrouper Ruins
3.2
good
DarkNoctus CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
having your cake and eating it too; in space....

MrxSelfxDestruct
September 2nd 2013

So the end result is fundamentally the same. Sounds lame.

Amphoteric

2011 Comments

Idk if I want to listen to this, I loved their first couple albums but I feel like they have been
lacking in quality in recent years and the track from this that I listened to was pretty boring.

nice review

Digging: Bobby Barnett - Little Wounds

Omaha
September 2nd 2013

ELI! So glad to see you writing here again, man. Nice work, too. This album is cool, but as you've pointed out, it doesn't seem to have much lasting power.

Also:

" the Irish post-rock band God is and Astronaut"

"What is lacks in astounding moments"

SeaAnemone

20833 Comments

band bothers me
~boring and generic post-rock~

Lucid
September 2nd 2013

could you make the summary any more discouraging

Aids
September 2nd 2013

well if the shoe fits....

fucking boring band

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989

DarkNoctus
September 3rd 2013

i do agree with all your points but i like this more than you do, heh

insomniac15
September 3rd 2013

Great review. I listened to this record three times I think and I don't remember any track in particular. Comparing with their earlier offerings, it feels diluted.

Digging: Brant Bjork - Black Flower Power

Emethyst
September 3rd 2013

Good review, matches perfectly what I thought of this album. Quite stale and uninspired, with only Calistoga really drawing in any sort of interest for me. Even then, however, it does not hold a candle to earlier songs like Suicide by Star.

Mongi123
September 3rd 2013

Pretty easy listen. First two tracks and Spiral Code stood out to me, but other than that nothing wowed me.

Athom
September 3rd 2013

since this album is called origins I'm going to assume it's just a mixtape of old mogwai, GYBE, and EITS songs.

YakNips
September 4th 2013

Old Mogwai GYBE and EITS would be fantastic.

This is meh.

Digging: Black James Franco - Sun House

IbenizGEO1
September 4th 2013

Gay i wanted this to be good.

Mongi123
September 4th 2013

It is good though. Pretty enjoyable post rock but nothing complex.

AdolfChrist
September 4th 2013

this is the first time theyve released something thats actually bad. age of the fifth sun was boring
but it didnt suck. i guess im not surprised. and whats with that shitty album cover?

JS19
September 5th 2013

Ugh expected this. band is officially dead

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989

Yazz_Flute
September 5th 2013

Album cover is fucking awesome.

Digging: Kenn Nardi - Dancing With the Past

Omeggia
September 5th 2013

Ah man they were really hyping this up to be something different too

JS19
September 5th 2013

'Album cover is fucking awesome.'

*Awful

Looks like it was made in iMovie